GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Marketing Blitz"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 20/04/02 at 22:59
Regular
I’ve yet to see the Gamecube ad, it has been hampered on about but to be honest, I didn’t expect much. The X-box did advertise but I didn’t seem much from that rather than the odd TV ad here and there but today, 2 weeks before the launch also known as the time when stock is allocated to shops that all changed, because today without looking I was hit with more Gamecube propaganda than you can shake Hitler at.

After a gathering with 14 of my friends leading to an overnight stay we switched on MTV, after a few music videos the customary adverts appeared. Now normally I’d change channels but I didn’t, all of a sudden several purple people wondered around on the screen, now I had a bit to drink (not much mind) but basically MTV was giving away Nintendo Gamecube goodies and a stay in a hotel or something, this reminded me of a similar goings on, on the Kerrang music channel for the x-box, but of course MTV is much more popular. Now this is the first piece of Gamecube advertisement I have seen, but it was preparing me for what I was about to experience the following day.

I live near a small market town called St. Neots, after wondering down the town I entered my local Choices, now they’ve been taking pre-orders for sometime but walking in today was like walking into a Nintendo branded shop. In several corners Gamecube boxes were piled up, there was an entire section filled with Gamecube console boxes, pre-order leaflets, game boxes, and information booklets. I was shocked to see this, as I never liked Choices as regarding Nintendo (I wasn’t impressed by the price mind). And there was a small section in the corner for X-box.

My second stop was Woolworth’s, now I wasn’t expecting any Gamecube goings on in here, as my store didn’t even sell the X-box, but I was wrong. First things first, I walked into the shop to be greeted by a big man holding a box filled with Gamecube CD’s. They were in Gamecube style cases with Gamecube sized discs that fits into your PC and they play videos of the launch games and future releases (Starfox, Pikmin, Luigi’s Mansion, Wave Race, Smash Brothers etc…). As he was handing these around to the unsuspecting public I saw more Gamecube boxes and pre-order sheets across the video/CD counter (again not impressed with Woolworth’s price). And it was Woolworth’s where I first saw it, a nice new piece of Nintendo advertisement, the new Nintendo Official Magazine. This magazine has doubled in size from 100 pages to 200 and for only an extra 16p. The same video CD’s were being given away at my local small game retailer with every product purchased. Quite frankly I was forced fed the Gamecube today and it made me realize, Nintendo are getting it right this time as I picked up my fourth Gamecube CD ROM, and my god are those discs small.

Here’s to Nintendo’s advertisement campaign

Dringo.
Sun 21/04/02 at 17:09
Regular
"Link to the Future"
Same. But it really does sound as if the Nintendo advertising they were talking about is kicking in, I'm sure X-Box owners are already getting their reciepts out. I've got quite a few of those discs now, One from Argos, one from an NOM magazine last month and one from a promo pack from Electronics Boutique. This pack also contained a video of all the launch games and a calendar of release dates. I think the Blitz is just starting and will carry on for some time. But I'll probably be wrong.
Sun 21/04/02 at 14:54
Regular
I wish i would see the damn thing.
Sat 20/04/02 at 23:41
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Yeah, the last thing I saw Nintendo market big was Pokémon. But hey, Ninteno certainly want people to know about the GameCube alright. I love the ad, I think its great.
Sat 20/04/02 at 23:34
Regular
I really was impressed my town will be filled with cube owners soon i know a few of my friends that are getting cubes now who were past ps fans all i need to do now is persuade ian (jcsuperstar) that the cube is the console for him, wont take too long because it is the console for him.
Sat 20/04/02 at 23:28
Regular
It's been a long whilst since I saw decent propaganda from Nintendo. Infact, the only times I have seen daytime advertising in the past from Nintendo was the Pokémon Gold adverts, and the Warioland advert that was always on TV years and years ago.

So, apart from seeing one advert around midnight two weeks ago for Golden Sun on the Game Boy Advance, I saw my first daytime TV Nintendo advert. It wasn't for the GameCube sadly, but it was for the Game Boy Advance advertising Super Mario World.

I remember a couple weeks ago, I started seeing all those GameCube shaped cardboard envelopes with the small CD-ROM's in containing some rolling demos of many of the games, plus giving all the information the internet and magazines have already given.

I downloaded the advert for the GameCube on TV, and it's great! Instead of advertising by some wierd and wacky non-gaming concept, it's straight to the point showing pieces of many of the games in large clear cube's. Some of the advert is wacky, but it give a clear indication that the cube is JUST about gaming, and nowt else.

I hope Nintendo do get it right this time. Although it does look like the X-box is following the N64's tracks (Boasting to be the most powerful console however getting terrible UK sales) so Nintendo have a good chance there.

Anyway, only a couple more weeks to go (til my exams :( ) and in June I'll be getting my own GameCube.
Sat 20/04/02 at 22:59
Regular
I’ve yet to see the Gamecube ad, it has been hampered on about but to be honest, I didn’t expect much. The X-box did advertise but I didn’t seem much from that rather than the odd TV ad here and there but today, 2 weeks before the launch also known as the time when stock is allocated to shops that all changed, because today without looking I was hit with more Gamecube propaganda than you can shake Hitler at.

After a gathering with 14 of my friends leading to an overnight stay we switched on MTV, after a few music videos the customary adverts appeared. Now normally I’d change channels but I didn’t, all of a sudden several purple people wondered around on the screen, now I had a bit to drink (not much mind) but basically MTV was giving away Nintendo Gamecube goodies and a stay in a hotel or something, this reminded me of a similar goings on, on the Kerrang music channel for the x-box, but of course MTV is much more popular. Now this is the first piece of Gamecube advertisement I have seen, but it was preparing me for what I was about to experience the following day.

I live near a small market town called St. Neots, after wondering down the town I entered my local Choices, now they’ve been taking pre-orders for sometime but walking in today was like walking into a Nintendo branded shop. In several corners Gamecube boxes were piled up, there was an entire section filled with Gamecube console boxes, pre-order leaflets, game boxes, and information booklets. I was shocked to see this, as I never liked Choices as regarding Nintendo (I wasn’t impressed by the price mind). And there was a small section in the corner for X-box.

My second stop was Woolworth’s, now I wasn’t expecting any Gamecube goings on in here, as my store didn’t even sell the X-box, but I was wrong. First things first, I walked into the shop to be greeted by a big man holding a box filled with Gamecube CD’s. They were in Gamecube style cases with Gamecube sized discs that fits into your PC and they play videos of the launch games and future releases (Starfox, Pikmin, Luigi’s Mansion, Wave Race, Smash Brothers etc…). As he was handing these around to the unsuspecting public I saw more Gamecube boxes and pre-order sheets across the video/CD counter (again not impressed with Woolworth’s price). And it was Woolworth’s where I first saw it, a nice new piece of Nintendo advertisement, the new Nintendo Official Magazine. This magazine has doubled in size from 100 pages to 200 and for only an extra 16p. The same video CD’s were being given away at my local small game retailer with every product purchased. Quite frankly I was forced fed the Gamecube today and it made me realize, Nintendo are getting it right this time as I picked up my fourth Gamecube CD ROM, and my god are those discs small.

Here’s to Nintendo’s advertisement campaign

Dringo.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.