GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Scorpian king: Review"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 20/04/02 at 19:03
Regular
If you smell what the Rock is cooking or are mad about The Mummy, Should you go and see The Scorpion King? Read on and I will do my best to help you out. Now I haven’t written a review for a little while, so I hope I still have it in me. As they say in Keanen and Kel, ahhh here it goes...

*There are no spoliers in this review - 100% spoiler free*

You saw Mummy returns didn’t you? Do you remember going in their to se the acting debut of the self proclaimed peoples champion, The Rock? It was disappointing to say the least when all we got to see of him was a short battle scene at the beginning. Then you finally get to the point where the big fight against him will take place, the he appears with a CGI scorpion body that looks tackier the Sclub Juniors. I could draw a better-looking scorpion king using Paint on my computer. For a movie that boasted about its amazing effects, it was pretty damn poor. So I for one was very happy to hear that a movie completely focused on the Scorpion king was coming. I was especially happy to hear that he would be played by The Rock and not a computer generated scorpion.

Yesterday the movie was released, and I was literally first in line to see it. I’m a WWF fan and have watched and enjoyed the other Mummy movies, yes even The Mummy Returns. So naturally I was looking forward to this movie and had high hopes. The movie started and it went a little something like this...

Memnon (Steven brand - Don’t worry if you haven’t heard of him, he’s a movie newbie), the greatest warrior in the world was proclaimed king because of his incredible skills and sharp reactions. On his side he had a sorceress (Kelly Hu) who had the power to see visions of the future. He used her to see the outcome of all his battles and used it to his advantage so he was unbeatable. But Memnon was a corrupt ruler who had many an enemy. One group of enemies hatched a plan to finally beat the almost invincible ruler; if they took out the sorceress he wouldn’t have an advantage against them. So they obtained the help of a group of three Akkadian assents. They were born, raised and trained to inflict damage and withstand pain. Amongst these three was Mathayus (Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson - Rocky, Rocky). They were paid and briefed on their missions, then left to seek out and eliminate the sorceress. What follows, is battle after battle of intense Egyptian style violence. Along his journey Mathayus encounters friends and foe alike, as well as some killer ants that will give you a major headache and some annoying, thieving children. How does his journey conclude? Why does he become known as the Scorpion King? Well, I’ll leave that for you to find out.

Don’t go into the movie expecting to see something a lot like The Mummy. As although it has the same atmosphere as the Mummy movies, its a whole different story. So don’t expect any CGI monster battles, or bugs that will infest your insides, because if you do, you will be disappointed and would be better of staying home and watching The Mummy with mummy. The style for the movie is basically along these lines, Talk, walk around in the sand, fight and repeat. I hope that didn’t make it sound boring, because The Scorpion King certainly is not boring. Each battle is varied and you get to see The Rock use a range of weapons he wouldn’t not be allowed to take into the ring with him. You wouldn’t be able to see The Rock shooting someone with an arrow in WWF, but you can here. So you can either sit at home waiting to see Triple H be attacked by a storm of arrows or you can go see the movie. I don’t want to give anything away, but the last fight, brilliant!

Oh and guys it has Kelly Hu naked. But don’t get your hopes and other things up just yet; the movies a 12 so don’t expect much. Thanks to some clever camera angles and The Rock blocking your site, you don’t see anything of interest. That brings me on to my next point, like I said the movie is rated 12, so it’s a pretty tamed action/adventure/horror movie. There are so many times when they could have shown some real gut wrenching shots, but like in the other Mummy movies they don’t. Instead they use some really good sound effects. Crunches, splats and screams that show what the camera doesn’t. Sound effects are something that the guys and gals behind The Mummy really got right. But it doesn’t just stop at sound effects, oh no it also has an amazing sound track that’s so good I went out and brought it on CD today. Godsmack, Hoobastank, Nickleback, System of A Down, Creed, Rob Zombie, POD and many more make it a soundtrack that will be hard to beat.

So what did I think of it? Well to tell you the truth, I don’t know. I’m still weighing up the pros and cons of it in my head.

+ It has The Rock in it
+ It has some great fights in it
+ He's sniping with a Bow and arrow
+ Kelly Hu
+ Great sound track
+ An original and fresh story for The Mummy series
+ Non stop action that just gets better and better
+ Them killer ants
+ The peoples eybrow

- Too short
- It doesn’t make you care about the characters, maybe because it’s too short
- Too predictable, you can tell how it will end by the name alone
- The Rocks side kick - Shut up already
- Kids, why must all movies like this have to have kids in them? E.G Jurassic park series and The Mummy returns. At least the kids were here for a purpose this time

So I guess I liked it. It was pretty good, could be better but its still all right and worth a watch. If your getting fed up of The Rocks short list of one-liners in WWF, come see the movie and here some new, original ones. Some of them will even make you laugh 'Him, I’ll kill for free'. Also if you like action, adventure and sword fighting go on down to a cinema near you and watch it. Anyway a WWF star would never bring out a poor movie *remembers Hulk Hogans failed attempt at Hollywood stardom and feels the pain all over again*.

That’s my opinion anyway. Earlier I said I will try and help you decide whether to see it or not, well really I cant do that. Don’t listen to people’s views and opinions of the movie, go and see it with an open mind, that’s not clouded by the judgement of others and make up your own mind. Bet you wish I said that before you read through all this, eh?

I cant wait until the DVD release, I have a feeling that it will be a great one, and I expect to see a 2 Disc set packed with extra features.
so we have that too look forward to as well as the Mummy 3 and The Scorpian king Returns.*

Thanks for reading
Live free, Die well - If you have seen the movie you will know what I'm on about, if you don't then go and see it...

*Please note that these movies have not been confirmed but I think it's a safe bet that we will be seeing a third Mummy movie in the next year or so. And if The Scorpian king does do well at the box office, which it will then you should ecpect a sequal for that too.
Sat 20/04/02 at 19:03
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
If you smell what the Rock is cooking or are mad about The Mummy, Should you go and see The Scorpion King? Read on and I will do my best to help you out. Now I haven’t written a review for a little while, so I hope I still have it in me. As they say in Keanen and Kel, ahhh here it goes...

*There are no spoliers in this review - 100% spoiler free*

You saw Mummy returns didn’t you? Do you remember going in their to se the acting debut of the self proclaimed peoples champion, The Rock? It was disappointing to say the least when all we got to see of him was a short battle scene at the beginning. Then you finally get to the point where the big fight against him will take place, the he appears with a CGI scorpion body that looks tackier the Sclub Juniors. I could draw a better-looking scorpion king using Paint on my computer. For a movie that boasted about its amazing effects, it was pretty damn poor. So I for one was very happy to hear that a movie completely focused on the Scorpion king was coming. I was especially happy to hear that he would be played by The Rock and not a computer generated scorpion.

Yesterday the movie was released, and I was literally first in line to see it. I’m a WWF fan and have watched and enjoyed the other Mummy movies, yes even The Mummy Returns. So naturally I was looking forward to this movie and had high hopes. The movie started and it went a little something like this...

Memnon (Steven brand - Don’t worry if you haven’t heard of him, he’s a movie newbie), the greatest warrior in the world was proclaimed king because of his incredible skills and sharp reactions. On his side he had a sorceress (Kelly Hu) who had the power to see visions of the future. He used her to see the outcome of all his battles and used it to his advantage so he was unbeatable. But Memnon was a corrupt ruler who had many an enemy. One group of enemies hatched a plan to finally beat the almost invincible ruler; if they took out the sorceress he wouldn’t have an advantage against them. So they obtained the help of a group of three Akkadian assents. They were born, raised and trained to inflict damage and withstand pain. Amongst these three was Mathayus (Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson - Rocky, Rocky). They were paid and briefed on their missions, then left to seek out and eliminate the sorceress. What follows, is battle after battle of intense Egyptian style violence. Along his journey Mathayus encounters friends and foe alike, as well as some killer ants that will give you a major headache and some annoying, thieving children. How does his journey conclude? Why does he become known as the Scorpion King? Well, I’ll leave that for you to find out.

Don’t go into the movie expecting to see something a lot like The Mummy. As although it has the same atmosphere as the Mummy movies, its a whole different story. So don’t expect any CGI monster battles, or bugs that will infest your insides, because if you do, you will be disappointed and would be better of staying home and watching The Mummy with mummy. The style for the movie is basically along these lines, Talk, walk around in the sand, fight and repeat. I hope that didn’t make it sound boring, because The Scorpion King certainly is not boring. Each battle is varied and you get to see The Rock use a range of weapons he wouldn’t not be allowed to take into the ring with him. You wouldn’t be able to see The Rock shooting someone with an arrow in WWF, but you can here. So you can either sit at home waiting to see Triple H be attacked by a storm of arrows or you can go see the movie. I don’t want to give anything away, but the last fight, brilliant!

Oh and guys it has Kelly Hu naked. But don’t get your hopes and other things up just yet; the movies a 12 so don’t expect much. Thanks to some clever camera angles and The Rock blocking your site, you don’t see anything of interest. That brings me on to my next point, like I said the movie is rated 12, so it’s a pretty tamed action/adventure/horror movie. There are so many times when they could have shown some real gut wrenching shots, but like in the other Mummy movies they don’t. Instead they use some really good sound effects. Crunches, splats and screams that show what the camera doesn’t. Sound effects are something that the guys and gals behind The Mummy really got right. But it doesn’t just stop at sound effects, oh no it also has an amazing sound track that’s so good I went out and brought it on CD today. Godsmack, Hoobastank, Nickleback, System of A Down, Creed, Rob Zombie, POD and many more make it a soundtrack that will be hard to beat.

So what did I think of it? Well to tell you the truth, I don’t know. I’m still weighing up the pros and cons of it in my head.

+ It has The Rock in it
+ It has some great fights in it
+ He's sniping with a Bow and arrow
+ Kelly Hu
+ Great sound track
+ An original and fresh story for The Mummy series
+ Non stop action that just gets better and better
+ Them killer ants
+ The peoples eybrow

- Too short
- It doesn’t make you care about the characters, maybe because it’s too short
- Too predictable, you can tell how it will end by the name alone
- The Rocks side kick - Shut up already
- Kids, why must all movies like this have to have kids in them? E.G Jurassic park series and The Mummy returns. At least the kids were here for a purpose this time

So I guess I liked it. It was pretty good, could be better but its still all right and worth a watch. If your getting fed up of The Rocks short list of one-liners in WWF, come see the movie and here some new, original ones. Some of them will even make you laugh 'Him, I’ll kill for free'. Also if you like action, adventure and sword fighting go on down to a cinema near you and watch it. Anyway a WWF star would never bring out a poor movie *remembers Hulk Hogans failed attempt at Hollywood stardom and feels the pain all over again*.

That’s my opinion anyway. Earlier I said I will try and help you decide whether to see it or not, well really I cant do that. Don’t listen to people’s views and opinions of the movie, go and see it with an open mind, that’s not clouded by the judgement of others and make up your own mind. Bet you wish I said that before you read through all this, eh?

I cant wait until the DVD release, I have a feeling that it will be a great one, and I expect to see a 2 Disc set packed with extra features.
so we have that too look forward to as well as the Mummy 3 and The Scorpian king Returns.*

Thanks for reading
Live free, Die well - If you have seen the movie you will know what I'm on about, if you don't then go and see it...

*Please note that these movies have not been confirmed but I think it's a safe bet that we will be seeing a third Mummy movie in the next year or so. And if The Scorpian king does do well at the box office, which it will then you should ecpect a sequal for that too.
Sat 20/04/02 at 19:12
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
Damn I hate it when you post something then are reading through afterwards and realise you wrote the wrong type of there or made another stupid mistake.
Sat 20/04/02 at 19:30
Regular
"That's right!"
"Memnon (Steven brand - Don’t worry if you haven’t heard of him, he’s a movie newbie)"

----------

Steven Brand is a relatively well known British actor, and has been in films for years. Therefore, he is not a "movie newbie"
Sat 20/04/02 at 20:01
Regular
I went to see this and The One today.

The One was infinitely better.
Sat 20/04/02 at 20:03
Regular
"That's right!"
YOU went to see The Scorpion King? Doesn't seem like you at all! Heh

Oh and did you read my Stryke Payne post, Stryke?
Sat 20/04/02 at 20:08
Regular
I've spent many posts defending The Mummy and The Mummy Returns, MoJoman. I love them. This is a disgrace to those films, though. I want Mummy 3. And mummy.

Where's this Payne post then? I'm sure it'll be Payneful. Ho ho ho. I'm a card.
Sat 20/04/02 at 20:15
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
MoJoJoJo wrote:
> "Memnon (Steven brand - Don’t worry if you haven’t heard of him,
> he’s a movie newbie)"
>
> ----------
>
> Steven Brand is a relatively well known British actor, and has been in
> films for years. Therefore, he is not a "movie newbie"

I stand corrected, my sources must be inacurate. I didnt know the name of the actor who played the character so I looked it up. It said it was his first feature length film. It must have ment first feature length role as a bad guy, or has he been bad before?
Sat 20/04/02 at 20:46
Regular
"That's right!"
The guy was in Soldier for one thing, and some others I can't remember. Never seen him play a badguy though

And Stryke, check back a few pages on FOG Chat, it's entitled Stryke Payne
Sat 20/04/02 at 21:36
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
Yeah that must have been what it ment
Tue 23/04/02 at 19:30
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Great review there, Cdouch.

I'll probably rent that when it comes out on DVD. I don't really like Cinemas :(

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.