GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Warner Bros Blu-ray only shock"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 05/01/08 at 19:34
"possibly impossible"
hm. Sounds like a newspaper headline from the Sun, but yes, Warner Bros have officially announced that they will only be supporting the Blu-ray High Def format alongside standard DVD from May. At that point no new HD-DVDs will be made for Warner releases.

This must make Sony very happy, especially after the whole Dreamworks/Univeral move to HD-DVD.

Does this mean the format war is over? Not yet, but Warner is a very big player with a huge back catalogue. It also means Blu-ray owners will hopefully get former HD-DVD only titles such as Batman Begins.
Sat 05/01/08 at 19:34
"possibly impossible"
hm. Sounds like a newspaper headline from the Sun, but yes, Warner Bros have officially announced that they will only be supporting the Blu-ray High Def format alongside standard DVD from May. At that point no new HD-DVDs will be made for Warner releases.

This must make Sony very happy, especially after the whole Dreamworks/Univeral move to HD-DVD.

Does this mean the format war is over? Not yet, but Warner is a very big player with a huge back catalogue. It also means Blu-ray owners will hopefully get former HD-DVD only titles such as Batman Begins.
Sat 05/01/08 at 20:54
Regular
Pie Chart

I'd like to hear Garins opinion on this one, he knows a lot about whats going on with the format wars.

I did read an article not long ago about Microsoft wanting to back the loser so the war would continue because they want both sides to lose. Something about wanting to skip high definition DVDs and go straight to download or some kind of flash disc or something. I thought it was just because they were the competition with their PS3. :)

All I know is VHS is dead, CD sales were absolutely terrible this Christmas, music downloads have shot through the roof and DRM is officially dead now that all the major record companies have given it up. Oh and people like my Aunt and Uncle who were very slow to pick up VCR technology have just invested in a Digital Video Recorder.

If I had the money I would have got myself a PS3 and went with Blu-Ray. Kinda like how people switched to DVD when they got a PS2.
Sat 05/01/08 at 22:23
"possibly impossible"
Machie wrote:

> I did read an article not long ago about Microsoft wanting to
> back the loser so the war would continue because they want both
> sides to lose. Something about wanting to skip high definition
> DVDs and go straight to download or some kind of flash disc or
> something.

Downloads of High Def content won't be feasible for the average household until: a) Download speeds are higher than 16Mbps for at least 80% of the major countries and b) Affordable Hard Disc recorders with the ability to download and play on an HDTV are big enough (we're talking over 1TB), plus the general public still like the option of going out and buying their goods.

>
> All I know is VHS is dead, CD sales were absolutely terrible
> this Christmas, music downloads have shot through the roof and
> DRM is officially dead now that all the major record companies
> have given it up.

VHS is replaced by DVD which is now saturating the market, but that take at least 2 years to properly take off. Music is naturally suited to downloads with the hardware making it very easy to do even for the novice. However, many people don't want to have to own a PC to listen to music so CDs will still be needed. It may happen sometime in the future when the technical generation get older but not at the moment.

Oh and people like my Aunt and Uncle who were
> very slow to pick up VCR technology have just invested in a
> Digital Video Recorder.

Which is good and Digital Terrestrial is going that way, but most won't allow you to download stuff...yet...

>
> If I had the money I would have got myself a PS3 and went with
> Blu-Ray. Kinda like how people switched to DVD when they got a
> PS2.

Sony are hoping more and more people are looking at that solution :D
Sun 06/01/08 at 10:49
Regular
This is incredibly lame. I still think I'll stick with DVD, the format where I get everything.
Sun 06/01/08 at 17:43
"possibly impossible"
Alfonse wrote:
> This is incredibly lame. I still think I'll stick with DVD, the
> format where I get everything.

The whole point of hoping one format gets to be the winner, really as a lot of people are currently thinking the same.

of course, getting either a HD-DVD OR blu-ray player also means you'll be watching those DVDs in lovely upscaled goodness so they'll look far better themselves.
Sun 06/01/08 at 21:53
Regular
Meh. When you can get new releases for five pounds, I don't see the point.
Sun 06/01/08 at 22:39
"possibly impossible"
Alfonse wrote:
> Meh. When you can get new releases for five pounds, I don't see
> the point.

Depends on how much you want a lovely far better definition picture. On the right setup experiencing High Def can put you off going back to non-upscaled DVDs forever.
Mon 07/01/08 at 17:37
Regular
"8==="
Just the same as having a 360/PS3 running in HD can put you off the cheaper Wii forever...
Mon 07/01/08 at 19:44
Regular
I once had a girl friend who was utter fugly, but my oh my did screw like a ferret on acid.

Lesson to be learned: Looks aren't everything

(That never actually happened)
Tue 08/01/08 at 03:16
Regular
"8==="
Sony are technically supporting a HD-DVD backer:

"ABC, MGM on XBLM
Unlike virtually every E3 address, Gates' CES keynote started exactly on time, with a flashy multimedia display touting the convention's luminary speakers and 140,000 attendees. But just as Consumer Electronics Association CEO Gary Shapiro took the stage to introduce Gates, Microsoft sent out a press release touting one of the highlights of his speech: The ABC and Disney Channel television networks would be releasing high-definition video content via Xbox Live Marketplace. The offerings will include such popular shows as Lost, Desperate Housewives, Grey's Anatomy, Hannah Montana, and High School Musical.

The news was surprising because the two networks' parent company, Walt Disney, releases high-definition video only on Blu-ray Disc. Blu-ray's main competitor, HD DVD, is supported by Microsoft, whereas Blu-ray Disc was created by Microsoft's rival Sony. Sony also owns the film studio MGM, which announced today that it will be releasing some of its most popular classics--including Dances With Wolves, The Terminator, The Silence of the Lambs, and Rocky--on XBLM. The shock announcement means that, via proxy, the PlayStation 3 maker is releasing video content on the Xbox 360."

Maybe downloadable media will be kicking ass before this format war is through? BT have also got in on the act by extending their service via the Xbox, I put the info in the Games forum's WLT, and no you can't have a link.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.