GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Interview with "solid snake" david hayter"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 19/04/02 at 09:28
Regular
Thank you David for taking the time out of your busy schedule to do this small interview. We and all of our readers are just dying to get to know the man behind the Snake.

1. Lets get to know you for those of our readers who don't know about your personal life. How old are you?
I am 30 years old. (29 when I did the game.)

Where are you from?
I was born in Santa Monica, California, but my parents and I moved around a lot. I have lived all over the U.S. (Colorado, Arizona, California, etc...) and Canada (My parents are Canadian, and I am a dual citizen.)

What are your interests?
I have been acting for ten years professionally. I am writing now, and I am also involved in the production of feature films.

2. How did you get started in this business, and when?
I went to theatre school in Toronto (for acting) and I quit after my first year and moved to L.A. to begin acting in films and television.

3. What are some of your past projects, video game or other?
I starred in a movie called "Guyver 2, Dark Hero", I produced and starred in a film called "Burn" which was executive Produced by Bryan Singer (Who directed "The Usual Suspects") and Adam Duritz (Lead singer for the group "Counting Crows") which won the Slamdance film festival in Utah in '98.

When I was 24, I guest starred as a Russian kid on a show called "Major Dad." I had a Russian accent and Helen Hunt's dad, Gordon, saw it. He was directing a cartoon called "Captain Planet" He hired me to play the Russian girl's brother. After that, I started doing voice-overs.

4. How did you get to be the voice behind the Snake?
Five years after Captain Planet, the casting director of that show was directing the voice acting for "Metal Gear Solid". She remembered me and called me in to audition. I immediately got how cool this was going to be and really wanted the part. Snake was the ultimate bad-ass.

He would kill without a second thought and doesn't let anyone stand in his way. But, unlike most video games, he was actually a pretty well-rounded character, with real dimension. He doesn't want to be in this world anymore, but he does it because he knows how important it is.

5. How was your experience playing Solid Snakes role?
We had a great time recording this. It took about two weeks last May (One year ago exactly.) Konami and the producers really let me and Kris Zimmerman, the director, try to make it dramatic and emotionally satisfying for the audience. It was all there in the game to begin with, but many times, these things got lost in the translation.

This time, if there was something that didn't sound like regular English, they would let us improvise something better (for the most part.) I think that is what separates MGS from other games, acting wise.

6. Have you played Metal Gear Solid?
Of course. I already had the PlayStation, so I was very excited that that was the platform. I have played it through about one and a half times. (I made sure that Meryl survived, because I think the Otacon ending is kind of strange (two men riding off into the sunset on a snowmobile, y'know?)

(laughs)

7. If so, what did you think of it?
I love the game, but I think it's a little short. It is also kind of cool playing it. When Snake gets shot, It's my voice that cries out. It really adds to the illusion of that world, but I guess that's just for me.

8. Has Konami contacted you to do perhaps a sequel to Metal Gear Solid? If not a sequel, have they contacted you to do any other projects with them?
I have not heard from Konami about a sequel or any other games. (I did audition for the lead voice in "Kain, Soul Reaver", but I didn't get it.)

9. Keeping on the subject, what are, if you have any at the moment, any future projects for you right now?
I am currently very proud to be working on the live-action "X-Men" movie for Twentieth Century Fox, which is being directed by my friend Bryan Singer ("The Usual Suspects.") I can't say what I'm doing on it though, sorry.

10. Now for our readers that are interested in doing voices for video games or other. How would you suggest for someone to break into the business?
The voice-over world is kind of hard to break into. Like I said, I just sort of lucked into it. But, if someone wants to do it, first, I would see if there was a class near me. Many times, Voice-over casting directors will give classes to make money on the side.

Sometimes when you take their classes, they will use you in whatever they are working on, whether it be commercials, animation, or video games. Also, you need to find someone who works in that world to help you put together a really good demo tape (recordings of you doing voices.) In fact, the girl who played the voice of Dr. Naomi in MGS was instrumental in helping me get into the business.

Once you have a tape, you have to send it to as many agents as possible until someone signs you. Then you start auditioning. The important thing is to remember that here are a lot of people trying to get work, so try not to get discouraged, and if you really want it, DO NOT GIVE UP. But I think that applies to anything that is important to you.

11. Now for our last question that goes along with a previous one. Has Konami told you anything about a future release of a "Metal Gear" game?
As I said, I have not spoken with Konami. But I have seen some clips from the "MGS Integral" game, which is coming out in October. Making a game of this size takes time, and I am sure that they will do another full game sequel.

I hope that they will ask me to play Snake again, but they will not contact me until they need me, which will probably be a ways off. Even if they are developing a sequel right now, the voice translation is the last aspect of it. The actors are always the last to know.

12. Well thank you very much David for taking the time to share with us, and we wish you the best in the future.
(I am saying this in my gravelly Snake voice, so please imagine it accordingly.) Thanks you guys. Next time I go after Metal Gear, I want you all there by my side.

Your friend, David Hayter "Solid Snake"
Fri 19/04/02 at 09:28
Regular
"Time 2 play the gur"
Thank you David for taking the time out of your busy schedule to do this small interview. We and all of our readers are just dying to get to know the man behind the Snake.

1. Lets get to know you for those of our readers who don't know about your personal life. How old are you?
I am 30 years old. (29 when I did the game.)

Where are you from?
I was born in Santa Monica, California, but my parents and I moved around a lot. I have lived all over the U.S. (Colorado, Arizona, California, etc...) and Canada (My parents are Canadian, and I am a dual citizen.)

What are your interests?
I have been acting for ten years professionally. I am writing now, and I am also involved in the production of feature films.

2. How did you get started in this business, and when?
I went to theatre school in Toronto (for acting) and I quit after my first year and moved to L.A. to begin acting in films and television.

3. What are some of your past projects, video game or other?
I starred in a movie called "Guyver 2, Dark Hero", I produced and starred in a film called "Burn" which was executive Produced by Bryan Singer (Who directed "The Usual Suspects") and Adam Duritz (Lead singer for the group "Counting Crows") which won the Slamdance film festival in Utah in '98.

When I was 24, I guest starred as a Russian kid on a show called "Major Dad." I had a Russian accent and Helen Hunt's dad, Gordon, saw it. He was directing a cartoon called "Captain Planet" He hired me to play the Russian girl's brother. After that, I started doing voice-overs.

4. How did you get to be the voice behind the Snake?
Five years after Captain Planet, the casting director of that show was directing the voice acting for "Metal Gear Solid". She remembered me and called me in to audition. I immediately got how cool this was going to be and really wanted the part. Snake was the ultimate bad-ass.

He would kill without a second thought and doesn't let anyone stand in his way. But, unlike most video games, he was actually a pretty well-rounded character, with real dimension. He doesn't want to be in this world anymore, but he does it because he knows how important it is.

5. How was your experience playing Solid Snakes role?
We had a great time recording this. It took about two weeks last May (One year ago exactly.) Konami and the producers really let me and Kris Zimmerman, the director, try to make it dramatic and emotionally satisfying for the audience. It was all there in the game to begin with, but many times, these things got lost in the translation.

This time, if there was something that didn't sound like regular English, they would let us improvise something better (for the most part.) I think that is what separates MGS from other games, acting wise.

6. Have you played Metal Gear Solid?
Of course. I already had the PlayStation, so I was very excited that that was the platform. I have played it through about one and a half times. (I made sure that Meryl survived, because I think the Otacon ending is kind of strange (two men riding off into the sunset on a snowmobile, y'know?)

(laughs)

7. If so, what did you think of it?
I love the game, but I think it's a little short. It is also kind of cool playing it. When Snake gets shot, It's my voice that cries out. It really adds to the illusion of that world, but I guess that's just for me.

8. Has Konami contacted you to do perhaps a sequel to Metal Gear Solid? If not a sequel, have they contacted you to do any other projects with them?
I have not heard from Konami about a sequel or any other games. (I did audition for the lead voice in "Kain, Soul Reaver", but I didn't get it.)

9. Keeping on the subject, what are, if you have any at the moment, any future projects for you right now?
I am currently very proud to be working on the live-action "X-Men" movie for Twentieth Century Fox, which is being directed by my friend Bryan Singer ("The Usual Suspects.") I can't say what I'm doing on it though, sorry.

10. Now for our readers that are interested in doing voices for video games or other. How would you suggest for someone to break into the business?
The voice-over world is kind of hard to break into. Like I said, I just sort of lucked into it. But, if someone wants to do it, first, I would see if there was a class near me. Many times, Voice-over casting directors will give classes to make money on the side.

Sometimes when you take their classes, they will use you in whatever they are working on, whether it be commercials, animation, or video games. Also, you need to find someone who works in that world to help you put together a really good demo tape (recordings of you doing voices.) In fact, the girl who played the voice of Dr. Naomi in MGS was instrumental in helping me get into the business.

Once you have a tape, you have to send it to as many agents as possible until someone signs you. Then you start auditioning. The important thing is to remember that here are a lot of people trying to get work, so try not to get discouraged, and if you really want it, DO NOT GIVE UP. But I think that applies to anything that is important to you.

11. Now for our last question that goes along with a previous one. Has Konami told you anything about a future release of a "Metal Gear" game?
As I said, I have not spoken with Konami. But I have seen some clips from the "MGS Integral" game, which is coming out in October. Making a game of this size takes time, and I am sure that they will do another full game sequel.

I hope that they will ask me to play Snake again, but they will not contact me until they need me, which will probably be a ways off. Even if they are developing a sequel right now, the voice translation is the last aspect of it. The actors are always the last to know.

12. Well thank you very much David for taking the time to share with us, and we wish you the best in the future.
(I am saying this in my gravelly Snake voice, so please imagine it accordingly.) Thanks you guys. Next time I go after Metal Gear, I want you all there by my side.

Your friend, David Hayter "Solid Snake"
Fri 19/04/02 at 11:59
Interesting stuff, though a bit out of date. I was considering contacting a PS2 mag to suggest an interview with the man himself. I can't believe that it's not been done so far. What with him voicing one of the defining characters on the PS2, and doing other stuff like writing the screenplay for the X Men movie. Surely he'd be up for an interview!
Fri 19/04/02 at 15:50
"Right!!!!!™"
Some good question to ask him and some good answers.
Fri 19/04/02 at 16:10
Regular
"simpsons rule"
good questions
Fri 19/04/02 at 17:57
good interview but out of date

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.