GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Hmmm....my jaw feels.......OK"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 18/04/02 at 20:40
Regular
Right, I've had a PS2 since launch, and to be perfectly honest, not that much has had that graphical "wow" or "that's really cool" factor. Maybe I'm getting old and cynical (actually, there's no maybe about it), but I've seen a lot of nice stuff, but very little that's been amazing. Part of this I think is that when I moved to my humble PS from an already ageing Amiga, the jump was big. Very big. Essentially from 2D to 3D with a much faster frame rate. But of course now, those PS titles that 'wowed' me (Tekken, Resident Evil and Tomb Raider to name just three) look pretty tame by todays standards. When I moved to the PS2, I was moving from a decent spec PC, so the graphical improvement was noticeable, but not that much.

What has impressed me though is the improvement in gameplay. Games like GTA3 have shown a fairly unprecedented depth to them. And in that respect, I'm very happy. But thinking back to those early technical demos, are we where we should be graphically? So far, what has graphically wowed you on the PS2?
Thu 18/04/02 at 20:40
Right, I've had a PS2 since launch, and to be perfectly honest, not that much has had that graphical "wow" or "that's really cool" factor. Maybe I'm getting old and cynical (actually, there's no maybe about it), but I've seen a lot of nice stuff, but very little that's been amazing. Part of this I think is that when I moved to my humble PS from an already ageing Amiga, the jump was big. Very big. Essentially from 2D to 3D with a much faster frame rate. But of course now, those PS titles that 'wowed' me (Tekken, Resident Evil and Tomb Raider to name just three) look pretty tame by todays standards. When I moved to the PS2, I was moving from a decent spec PC, so the graphical improvement was noticeable, but not that much.

What has impressed me though is the improvement in gameplay. Games like GTA3 have shown a fairly unprecedented depth to them. And in that respect, I'm very happy. But thinking back to those early technical demos, are we where we should be graphically? So far, what has graphically wowed you on the PS2?
Thu 18/04/02 at 22:49
"High polygon count"
Like you, I didn't find GTA3 much of a graphical 'wow' personally. That's not to say it wasn't good, but it basically did what it had to do and no more. It was the gameplay that impressed.

Graphical 'wows' so far for me would be GT3 for the photo-realism, Jak & Daxter and Maximo for the animation, MGS2 for the whole appearance, and Devil May Cry again for the whole appearance.
Thu 18/04/02 at 23:03
Regular
"!"£$%^&*()_+"
the trailer of final fantasy x looks amazing.
Thu 18/04/02 at 23:10
Regular
wookiee read my Grand turismo topic pretty please
Thu 18/04/02 at 23:37
Regular
"!"£$%^&*()_+"
well the ps2 has suprised me with its graphics many times,

first it was gran turismo 3 with it's photo realistic graphics, before that i had never seen a racing game that was so good looking,

then came up metal gear solid 2, what can i say about this the graphics were just amazing, they still are amazing, not to mention the detail in the actual game was and still is one of the most advanced and detail as well as interactive, (note: mgs2 game has no fmv's all the cutsceens are ps2 graphics)

now with up comming games like ffx and onimusha 2 which take the ps2 graphic capabilities to the next level, for example i saw the water on the beach in onimusha 2 which looked amazing, then i found out its actually fmv that has been integrated into the game, which is another good step for games to have better graphics.

as game developers experiment more and more with the ps2 graphics and unlock more and more of its hidden potential, there could still be some shocks to come,

overall the ps2 still has the ability if done properly, to match the graphic standards of rival consoles and give them a run for there money.
Fri 19/04/02 at 01:10
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
old and cynical? I agree

You just have to look at MGS 2, GT 3 & the upcoming FF X & VF Fighter to give you the 'wow factor' of the Graphics/playability of the PS 2

personally I get the wow factor from games like SSX Tricky, Pro Evo Soccer, Cricket 2002 becuase you can really appreciate the 'reality' that the games show.
Fri 19/04/02 at 12:18
So far on the PS2 what has highly impressed me graphically?

MGS2 - particularly the guards
Devil May Cry - the bosses
Jak & Daxter - huge cartoon world
Fur Fighters - the sense of scale, and again the bosses
Tony Hawk's 3 - that oh so smooth frame rate
Star Wars Starfighter - the number of ships in a battle
ICO - superb character animation and scenery
GT3 - the cars (obviously!)

but nothing compares to seeing the fluid motion of Tekken for the first time on a home console, Lara's animation, or the cars in the original GT. To me, there hasn't been so much of a leap. I'm not saying graphics aren't good, they are. What seems to have moved forward more is the gameplay. And being someone who rates that over graphics, I'm happy. But I would like a bit of that graphical 'wow' factor....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.