GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"X-box collapse?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 18/04/02 at 19:25
Regular
X-boxes to drop by £100 across europe, to rrp £199.

"He's got a huge hand. Oh my goodness, this is incerdible. This is uglier than a meddusa with seven heads..."

Admittedly not a quote relating to x-box itself, but to a poker hand that apparantly was quite good on channel 4's late night poker. But i think it expresses the situation quite nicely.

Well, ninty did the same thing with the 64. But this feels like a marketing ploy to me. Not least because they're compensating everyone who bought a console at full price with 2 games and a controller, and it's happening with such gamecube-crushing timing.

So for £50 more on the rrp, you get x-box instead of gamecube, and a dvd player when you get the required add-on stuff. Frankly, i don't know where nintendo would be without pokemon after the n64 did something between a dreamcast and a saturn (in my opinion, but lets not start that debate up : ) ). But with microsoft having, i believe, far superior advertising, a more favourable release date and by this point a better image than the fairly unremarkably advertised, post-price drop released, often stereotyped as 'kiddy' (*wases mouth out* ; ) ) gamecube, i think ninty may be in need of something huge to get themselves out of this little scrape.

And remember, if everyone prices the x-box to £199 (as sr have), and gamecube to £170 (as seems the trend), the diference isn't even £50. Obviously. It'd be £30.

If i hadn't ordered my gamecube, and didn't have a dvd player, i think i'd probably defect to microsoft myself!
: S
Thu 18/04/02 at 19:25
Regular
X-boxes to drop by £100 across europe, to rrp £199.

"He's got a huge hand. Oh my goodness, this is incerdible. This is uglier than a meddusa with seven heads..."

Admittedly not a quote relating to x-box itself, but to a poker hand that apparantly was quite good on channel 4's late night poker. But i think it expresses the situation quite nicely.

Well, ninty did the same thing with the 64. But this feels like a marketing ploy to me. Not least because they're compensating everyone who bought a console at full price with 2 games and a controller, and it's happening with such gamecube-crushing timing.

So for £50 more on the rrp, you get x-box instead of gamecube, and a dvd player when you get the required add-on stuff. Frankly, i don't know where nintendo would be without pokemon after the n64 did something between a dreamcast and a saturn (in my opinion, but lets not start that debate up : ) ). But with microsoft having, i believe, far superior advertising, a more favourable release date and by this point a better image than the fairly unremarkably advertised, post-price drop released, often stereotyped as 'kiddy' (*wases mouth out* ; ) ) gamecube, i think ninty may be in need of something huge to get themselves out of this little scrape.

And remember, if everyone prices the x-box to £199 (as sr have), and gamecube to £170 (as seems the trend), the diference isn't even £50. Obviously. It'd be £30.

If i hadn't ordered my gamecube, and didn't have a dvd player, i think i'd probably defect to microsoft myself!
: S
Thu 18/04/02 at 19:30
i beat you by one whole minute on this news with my topic 'Look out Xbox, Gamecube's about!' although looking at the length of yours compare to mine you probably starte typing before i did
Thu 18/04/02 at 20:23
Regular
"hit the road jack"
X-box owners got a little suprise when they heard that their little, sorry BIG machine dropped £100! FREE GAMES FOR EVERYONE! Now if Cubey drops (which i heard it was a couple of months later, but only by about £30' i want at least 1 game! :)j
Thu 18/04/02 at 20:27
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
I don't own a DVD player but I've always been a loyal Nintendo man so the X Box price drop doesn't intreeg me as of yet.

Although I think I'm starting to prefer it to the PS2 so I may still purchase myself one in the future.

As for Nintendo they need a killer title to put them over the top. I was even talking to some mates today and one said "The Gamecube isn't as good because it's cheaper" 18 years of age and he said that! Mind you he was just trying to wind me up but I still think people see it that way. :0)
Thu 18/04/02 at 20:58
Regular
"Link to the Future"
This is terrible. If everyone goes and gets an X-Box instead of a GameCube the tables could turn Nintendo could do a Sega and no more Nintendo consoles!!! AAHHHHH!!!! If that happened I'd probably sue Microsoft for making me waiting 18 agonising months for nothing, well not nothing, but still.
Anyway, why should GameCube fail? It has better games than the X-Box. In essence that's all that matters. But I'm worried about the advertising Nintendo promised a Multi-Million pound advertising campaign for Europe. I haven't seen one Advert for GameCube outside of shops and GameCube mags, well I might of and not just remembered, but that's not the point. I'm aware that there is a GC advert on Channel 4 and it's been shown. But if I was a PlayStation fan (which I'm proudly not) I wouldn't be convinced that It was worth getting.
Thu 18/04/02 at 21:30
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Believe it or not GK, there are LOTS of people who prefer Xbox games to GC games. To say that "[GC] has better games than the X-Box" is totally subjective- it's your opinion, and will differ from person to person.

Either way, the price drop is going to shake things up a bit now- there have been plenty of people waiting for a price drop before buying a console.

Oh, and you're right- the GC won't fail. As usual, Ninty has got high enough sales in Japan and America to support the console, and Europe is just a bonus who they'll happily let wait months before releasing the console (although at least 60Hz mode is included).

Sonic
Fri 19/04/02 at 12:54
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
i imagine that nintendo will strike back at Microsoft. I don't know how but i just think it will happen.

Already GC tvs adds are starting and i hope they will increase as launch date nears.
Fri 19/04/02 at 13:19
Regular
"Back in black"
LOL. X box HAD to knock £100 of its console because they just weren't selling as hoped. You gotta laugh at Microsoft though. I don't think they will be doing another console after this.

Nintendo we stand!
Fri 19/04/02 at 16:45
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I reckon that if the PS2 was still near £300 and the GameCube was over £200, the X-box would still be selling well even with such a 'high price'.
But it's all thanks to Ninty and their 'cheap thinking' that many people have been lead to believe that £300 is not a fair console price anymore!

Well, it's better than £400 for the Saturn, and isn't at all bad when you get a DVD player, massive HD and many other capabillities all inside one box.

And I was going to add that Nintendo will have big 'games' on the way soon as their 'big thing' they need, but if Mario and Zelda and co. are to be shorter then this is just dissapointing and untrue.
But Starfox will apparently be a HUGE game, so that must count for something. And games like the 007's, Perfect Dark Zero and Mario Kart will also have massive longevities due to their excellent multiplayer modes.
Fri 19/04/02 at 17:04
Regular
"Its all me,me,me,me"
It's all over! Nintendo needs something fast and really fast! All my mates at school were getting gamecube but have always said that the x box is a better console and has better games! and with only a month left there rushing out to the shops tomorrow to nab themselves an x box whilst their still in stock! this price difference was the only barrier between the gamecube and the x box!

We have lost the battle...
... but you never know, we might still win the war!

Ill go down fighting whatever happens! Nintendo foreverRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! *pretends to climb over trench and get hit by a bullet*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.