GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft Scared?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 18/04/02 at 18:43
Regular
As the news spreads like a contagious disease, Microsoft's announcement of a Price drop for X-Box is surely evident of their battle for survival, isn't it?
With only 2 weeks to go, for the eventual release of the Nintendo Gamecube, this move is more than likely due to a 'fear' Microsoft has of Nintendo's Console and its failure in sales.

Granted, the success of Xbox in America (Its Home territory) is pretty darn strong, but outside North America sales of the XBox is pretty weak.
In Japan, it is selling in numbers as low as 3-4500 per week, Gamecube and PS2 is effectively tramping the system sales into the ground.
And here in Europe Microsoft aren't too happy with the systems sales and reports that the Gamecube is preordering in the thousands, surely that has gave Microsoft a bigger scare.
Microsoft are indeed scared of what is to come, a deluge of pre-orders for Gamecube being collected come May 3rd.
Hey, its good news too. At-least the system is sitting at a reasonable price, but it is pretty lame as well-As Microsoft have told people who purchased the system before the 26th April that they can claim two free games and an extra controller.
Granted, that is awful nice of them. But I'll ask this question:
"Why on earth did you release the console at £300 Microsoft!?" and...."Why on earth did you spoof to the public, filling the gaming press full of lies that your console was selling so strong and a mammoth success?"
Fair enough, they did what they had to do.
PS2 has put the console in its place in Europe and Japan. But this move is effectively telling the world that the X-Box in Europe is a flop, that it hasn't stood up to the sales of PS2 what Microsoft promised and of course (judging by the timing of the move) Microsoft are pretty scared of what is to come on the third day of May.
Fri 19/04/02 at 14:42
Regular
"All about the Beats"
You reckon everyone has learnt a lesson from MS? What price you think future console would be priced at?
Thu 18/04/02 at 21:23
Heh heh heh. Stupid bloody Microsoft. They should stick to what they do best - PCs (but not Windows, unless they can actually make it stable).
Thu 18/04/02 at 21:21
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Well, MS releases a console only to drop the price by £100 a month later. For those that bought prior to this date, they get two free games and a controller...

Not unlike the N64- the price of the console was dropped £100 after a mear 2 weeks(!) and Ninty offered ONE free game to those that bought early. Unfortunately, people ended up with aweful games (those that even heard about the scheme!) like that Star Wars one no one remembers!

Sonic
Thu 18/04/02 at 19:29
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Its already cost microsoft a bomb to get the x-box off the ground, so much that they said they didn't expect a profit from the machine until 2005. At this rate it looks like they won't actually get a profit for the machine for a couple of years more.
Thu 18/04/02 at 18:47
"Mimmargh!"
LOL! I knew Microsoft would have to drop their atrocious price! I just didn't know it would be so soon, Microsoft must be packing themselves!
Thu 18/04/02 at 18:43
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
As the news spreads like a contagious disease, Microsoft's announcement of a Price drop for X-Box is surely evident of their battle for survival, isn't it?
With only 2 weeks to go, for the eventual release of the Nintendo Gamecube, this move is more than likely due to a 'fear' Microsoft has of Nintendo's Console and its failure in sales.

Granted, the success of Xbox in America (Its Home territory) is pretty darn strong, but outside North America sales of the XBox is pretty weak.
In Japan, it is selling in numbers as low as 3-4500 per week, Gamecube and PS2 is effectively tramping the system sales into the ground.
And here in Europe Microsoft aren't too happy with the systems sales and reports that the Gamecube is preordering in the thousands, surely that has gave Microsoft a bigger scare.
Microsoft are indeed scared of what is to come, a deluge of pre-orders for Gamecube being collected come May 3rd.
Hey, its good news too. At-least the system is sitting at a reasonable price, but it is pretty lame as well-As Microsoft have told people who purchased the system before the 26th April that they can claim two free games and an extra controller.
Granted, that is awful nice of them. But I'll ask this question:
"Why on earth did you release the console at £300 Microsoft!?" and...."Why on earth did you spoof to the public, filling the gaming press full of lies that your console was selling so strong and a mammoth success?"
Fair enough, they did what they had to do.
PS2 has put the console in its place in Europe and Japan. But this move is effectively telling the world that the X-Box in Europe is a flop, that it hasn't stood up to the sales of PS2 what Microsoft promised and of course (judging by the timing of the move) Microsoft are pretty scared of what is to come on the third day of May.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.