GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Portable Power!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 16/10/00 at 18:36
Regular
I was just sitting here tlking to my mates on MSN Messeneger when a thought came to mind. After scrolling down my range of PC titles slowely aging I wondered how great it would be for companys to make the portable market their main area for concern in the market.

Nintendo seem to be the only company intresseded in the portable market at the moment with the gameboy out and the gameboy advanced soon it seems as though Sony and Sega have given up. But I dont see them giving up in the console market! Sega looks as though it is coming to the end, could it switch to the portable market to make more money.

I mean the Gameboy is making loads of money so its not like the companys are going to lose out if they switch, or do a Nintendo do both! I walk into games shops and see stacks of Gameboy games and more realeases then ever before, it puzzles me. But if you think about people do like to play their games on the road, outside their stuffy living room.

Would'nt it be great if the companys got down to it and made a super portable system, we would'nt have to worry if our parents where hogging the TV or if your sister is watching some stupid soap on Channel 5, we would be free to play games whenever, wherever!

Anyone agree?
Mon 16/10/00 at 22:48
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
I am very happy for Sega, they finally got the confidence boost they deserved, I would buy a console but am saving my hard earned cash for new N64 titles.
As for the PS1, it is a sad case, it looks good but I think it should have been out along time ago, as many of you have said, it could have been even better if you didn't have seperate controllers and System, it would have made more sence to have had the pad on the console, it's just a small PS, boring! waste of time if ya ask me, but you didn't so i'll go back and watch one of the most boring film sever made! please what ever you do, do NOT I said do not watch 'eyes wide shut' it deserves an award for pitty, I feel sad for the guy that made it, he's dead but he made a terrible mistake by producing it.
Mon 16/10/00 at 22:26
Well how can Nintendo expect it to succeed? I guess that it will be primarily aimed at an older audience as the Game Boy owners are really mostly under the age of 12 and cannot afford to pay this much per game - especially since the normal GB and GBC games are £20- £25
Mon 16/10/00 at 21:52
Regular
Dan is right. I want a GBA but if the games are over £30 then I just won't bother. It's good but the Gamecube and PS2 will have games for cheaper.

So would you pay £30-£40 for a 2D gameboy game which probably came on the Snes a few years ago or was made in 4 months by a team of 5 developers or and Gamecube game which is not only superior in every way but more money has been put into making it (a lot of time and a large development team!)

I know which one I'd choose!
Mon 16/10/00 at 21:37
Regular
People moan that the same old games come out when a new console is released... Then Sega make some new ones, and BAM, no-one buys it. Only now has the pace began to pick up a bit, thank god.
Mon 16/10/00 at 20:58
The day that Sega come to an end (not likely judging by recent sales) will be the day the innovativity died.
Admittedly Nintendo are fairly innovative and sony have mad a few classics - but no one is as brave as Sega - how many times has Zelda and Mario and Metroid been in Nintendos's launches - or even first year of gaming for that console - and compare these to the likes of nearly every new sega game bar SR2.

With regards to why don't these companies make a portable? well, they dare not dive nose first into the mini world of gaming on LCD screens - why would they? Nintendo already dominate and practically own the portable games machine market - the gameboy has sold DOUBLE the number of playstations! (although, it has been around for double the time)

So, If Sega did do a follow up to the Game Gear ( an incredibly flawed handheld which literally drank alkaline) athey would be shooting themselves in the foot - the shear cost of developement and marketing would set them for a financial disaster. The only thing they can afford is the wonderful little VMU which is very cool and you can download loads of games onto it for FREE - like etcha sketch, and tetris.

And sony - have actually attempted to involve themselves in the mini handheld thing - they made the highly unpopular Pocket station but chose not to bring it across from the land of raw fish as it failed miserably just because the Gameboy market was too strong.

Sony are trying to edge into this world, with the New PSone which will in the future incorperate an LCD screen - but you'll still need a mains adapter as the battery time would be less than 15 mins of play time as the screen will be too large etc.

But I think Nintendo pretty much have this sector of the games industry in their bag, but I doubt if the GBA will have such a great success as many people will not be prepared to pay £30 - £40 for a game for it!
Mon 16/10/00 at 19:50
"Uzi Lover"
Gamboy advanced may solve it for Nitnedo but not the other companys. PS1 is just asmall Playstation with no new games out for it when the PS2 comes.

People should pay full attenion to the portable market!
Mon 16/10/00 at 18:41
Regular
Nope Gameboy Advance should solve that, PS1 should be more portable, but it's way too late!
Mon 16/10/00 at 18:36
"Uzi Lover"
I was just sitting here tlking to my mates on MSN Messeneger when a thought came to mind. After scrolling down my range of PC titles slowely aging I wondered how great it would be for companys to make the portable market their main area for concern in the market.

Nintendo seem to be the only company intresseded in the portable market at the moment with the gameboy out and the gameboy advanced soon it seems as though Sony and Sega have given up. But I dont see them giving up in the console market! Sega looks as though it is coming to the end, could it switch to the portable market to make more money.

I mean the Gameboy is making loads of money so its not like the companys are going to lose out if they switch, or do a Nintendo do both! I walk into games shops and see stacks of Gameboy games and more realeases then ever before, it puzzles me. But if you think about people do like to play their games on the road, outside their stuffy living room.

Would'nt it be great if the companys got down to it and made a super portable system, we would'nt have to worry if our parents where hogging the TV or if your sister is watching some stupid soap on Channel 5, we would be free to play games whenever, wherever!

Anyone agree?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.