GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A flight sim that doesn't suck!"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 18/04/02 at 11:17
Regular
I've tried flight sims, but they've left me cold.
Massive manuals with talk of "flaps" and "trim", whilst smutty and amusing leave for a boring game.

I got Flight Unlimited 3 and after spending 11 minutes going through pre-flight check-offs I realised if I wanted that level of realism (boring) then I would become a pilot.
But I don't.
Commanche 4 is the opposite:
Fun to play but no sim aspect at all, it's like an arcade helicopter game.
A mate lent me "Falcon 3.0" and just looking at the size of the manual (400+ pages) made me put it down and heave a weary sigh.

So the other day I bought "Il-2 Sturmovik" by Ubisoft.
It's a WW2 flight sim where you play either Russian or German.
And it's fantastic.
There's enough of the sim aspect that you need to spend a couple of minutes learning the controls etc and how they affect flight.
But it's balanced enough so you can just jump in and fly without too much effort.

Graphically it rocks, one of the best I've seen on the PC, and certainly the most impressive for flight sims.
You can shoot down bombers, get into dogfights with Messerschmits,all manner of things.

It's complex enough to be a challenge, but easily playable enough to not be a nerdy flight sim.

Get it if you like flying, WW2 or just excellent looking games.
Fri 19/04/02 at 11:59
Ya i read ya there goatboy. I still play Falcon4 and also battle of britain. I managed to get into those quickly and have stuck to them. Things like MS sim scare me, altho I have tried Il-2 and I spent more time in the grass than the air....looks lush
Thu 18/04/02 at 12:16
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
It's sim enough to make it worthwhile doing the tutorials, but not so indepth you get bored having to continually make adjustments to everything.

You can adjust the settings so you can just get straight in and fly, or turn on all the options and spend time tweaking flaps and yaw etc.

A nice balance between extreme realism and arcade style flying.
Thu 18/04/02 at 12:07
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I also hate the amount of realism in most flight sims, its great if your into aircraft and aviation, but its too difficult to get into for me. One of the best flight sims I've played is Crimson Skies.

Its a fun arcade action game which is easy to pick up and really enjoyable. The games you mention Goatboy sound pretty good and being a slight fan of the genre myself, I think give them a try.
Thu 18/04/02 at 11:17
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I've tried flight sims, but they've left me cold.
Massive manuals with talk of "flaps" and "trim", whilst smutty and amusing leave for a boring game.

I got Flight Unlimited 3 and after spending 11 minutes going through pre-flight check-offs I realised if I wanted that level of realism (boring) then I would become a pilot.
But I don't.
Commanche 4 is the opposite:
Fun to play but no sim aspect at all, it's like an arcade helicopter game.
A mate lent me "Falcon 3.0" and just looking at the size of the manual (400+ pages) made me put it down and heave a weary sigh.

So the other day I bought "Il-2 Sturmovik" by Ubisoft.
It's a WW2 flight sim where you play either Russian or German.
And it's fantastic.
There's enough of the sim aspect that you need to spend a couple of minutes learning the controls etc and how they affect flight.
But it's balanced enough so you can just jump in and fly without too much effort.

Graphically it rocks, one of the best I've seen on the PC, and certainly the most impressive for flight sims.
You can shoot down bombers, get into dogfights with Messerschmits,all manner of things.

It's complex enough to be a challenge, but easily playable enough to not be a nerdy flight sim.

Get it if you like flying, WW2 or just excellent looking games.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.