GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Perception."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 17/04/02 at 21:44
Regular
Perception: How people look at things. How people view things and the impression they receive from something. Well, that's what I think any way.

Some people say that perception doesn't matter, that they don't care what people think of them. I think this is utter rubbish. EVERYBODY worries, perhaps that's too strong a word, er... everyone hopes people have a good perception of them.

Example:

You go for a job interview: You dress up. Maybe not in a suit, but you definately don't go in trainers, ripped jeans and a dirty t-shirt.

You're in a band: You enjoy playing music, but you'd be pretty peeved off if no one else liked it. So you hope that people enjoy listening to you play.

You want to be a games designer: You've spent months worknig on your idea, perfecting, tweaking, adjusting it. Now there's nothing else you can do. You wait. You hope it creates a good impression with the company.

People: You don't want to look a t**t. Sod all this "be yourself" stuff. Most people aren't confident with who they are, so they'll try and 'be' someone else when they meet new people.

It's all about confidence. If you're confident, you can give across the right impression, your obvserver gets the right impression.

You're confident with who you are, with what you do, and this comes across. Self confidence seems to be lacking in many youngsters today, and I don't know why.

When I was little my dad was involved in an Amateur Dramatics group, so I grew up with it. I was used to being on stage in front of people, of making a fool out of myself.

I still get nervous when I have to do presentations and stuff at work, but nowhere near as nervous as I would be otherwise. Also, making friends seems pretty simple.

But for some people it's not.

They are too worried about the image they are giving out.

Why is this? Could it have anything to do with the media world we live in today? With all the advertising that seems to say:

If you're not slim, blue eyed, blonde haired with a muscular body then you'll get nowhere.

That is why. And it's wrong.

That is all.
Thu 18/04/02 at 16:28
Regular
"Unknown Legend"
Gurning I know you are new here (I am too don't get me wrong) but please do not quote a long post and write a sentence at the bottom to get your word count up so you can be a 'regular' it makes no difference except your name is purple...
Thu 18/04/02 at 15:12
Regular
"Time 2 play the gur"
Sodding Idiot wrote:
> Perception: How people look at things. How people view things and the

my perception of u is your a very very weird person to have a chat with
Thu 18/04/02 at 15:10
Regular
"Time 2 play the gur"
Sodding Idiot wrote:
>

my perception of u is your a very very weird person to have a chat with
Thu 18/04/02 at 15:07
I don't much care what the woman on the street thinks of me when I walk by, given that we'll maybe never cross paths again. I'd probably be a little scruffy, and if I was walking through the town during the day, she might assume I was unumployed, would maybe even step away from me as I walked past.

If I was wearing a suit as I rushed by, she'd think I was on a break from work, and obviously important, as I was in such a hurry.

But I'm the same no matter what I wear.

You know when you have to make a good impression, you try to deceive the perciever into believing you're something that you might not be.
Thu 18/04/02 at 12:51
Dr Duck, I think you've got it right.

When you meet people for the first time, you want to give a good impression. You don't want to look like some sort of tramp.

But then when you get to know people better, it doesn't matter what you look like as they know "you". So appearance doesn't matter.

But that initial meeting relies heavily on perception.
Thu 18/04/02 at 08:08
Regular
"Brrrrr."
Yeah, I agree but we all try and be someone that we are not sometimes in our lives...
Thu 18/04/02 at 01:43
Regular
Well, while there's the reasoning that goes along the lines of it doesn't matter to real friends, and the important people, everyone who doesn't know you well enough to judge you on your personality will to some extent judge you on less meaningful things, manner, appearance and the like.

So unless you find yourself in a situation to get to know people well without having to make a good impression in the first place, even the shallow, superficial stuff is necessary to build the relationships that turn into good, close friendships later.

But also taking some pride in appearances, for example, doesn't just have to be about impressing other people, it can be simply about personal expression or just looking how you want to. Maybe the latter is effected on some level by the general 'ideal', but it's still not done for anyone else.

example? well, the reason i'm up so late is because i'm dying some of my hair. this is kind of an individual thing. last time i did it, i got mixed reactions. i'm pretty sure what i'm doing now will get worse reactions. last time one of my friends actually laughed at my hair. but hey, that's not what it's about.
Wed 17/04/02 at 22:08
Regular
Perception is a good and bad thing.

On one hand, as you said, you've got the horrible "Perfect Human" situation, where people think if they comb their hair, they'll get laid.

The irritating thing is, they're right. Damn them. However, there's no love. Two braindead morons would suit eachother down to the ground, I'm sure... but for no other reason than pure inquisition, and loinache, do they go at eachother.

But then you get the real ugly munters, that think they're the same. If they come their hair, put deodourant on, lipstick, all the crap boys and girls may do... and then can't understand why nobody pays them any attention. Already convinced that beauty is all someone needs, girls [and boys] are driven to disgusting methods of trying to cover up their ignorance. Belemia [sp] is of course, a huge problem. And it's all because people don't take a few seconds out to think for themselves.

Personally, I'm glad I had such a huge mental shock a few years back. I was going to way of the hairgel boy, following like every other damn bleating kid. But now I really don't care. Girls smile at me, I smile back, and that's about it. I hardly ever even touch my hair in the morning, and I, nor anyone else, cares.

I have great friends. If your friend can't look you in the eye, and say "you've got snot hanging out of your nose", or "there's a great big lump of earwax that looks like it's about to fall out" to you, you haven't got a true friend. And that's what I can say to people, and what people can to me. Of course, we put right what's been told to us, but we ourselves aren't embarressed by our companions appearances, which tells me a lot.

I've babbled enough. Maybe another day.

Nice topic. Keep it up.
Wed 17/04/02 at 21:44
Perception: How people look at things. How people view things and the impression they receive from something. Well, that's what I think any way.

Some people say that perception doesn't matter, that they don't care what people think of them. I think this is utter rubbish. EVERYBODY worries, perhaps that's too strong a word, er... everyone hopes people have a good perception of them.

Example:

You go for a job interview: You dress up. Maybe not in a suit, but you definately don't go in trainers, ripped jeans and a dirty t-shirt.

You're in a band: You enjoy playing music, but you'd be pretty peeved off if no one else liked it. So you hope that people enjoy listening to you play.

You want to be a games designer: You've spent months worknig on your idea, perfecting, tweaking, adjusting it. Now there's nothing else you can do. You wait. You hope it creates a good impression with the company.

People: You don't want to look a t**t. Sod all this "be yourself" stuff. Most people aren't confident with who they are, so they'll try and 'be' someone else when they meet new people.

It's all about confidence. If you're confident, you can give across the right impression, your obvserver gets the right impression.

You're confident with who you are, with what you do, and this comes across. Self confidence seems to be lacking in many youngsters today, and I don't know why.

When I was little my dad was involved in an Amateur Dramatics group, so I grew up with it. I was used to being on stage in front of people, of making a fool out of myself.

I still get nervous when I have to do presentations and stuff at work, but nowhere near as nervous as I would be otherwise. Also, making friends seems pretty simple.

But for some people it's not.

They are too worried about the image they are giving out.

Why is this? Could it have anything to do with the media world we live in today? With all the advertising that seems to say:

If you're not slim, blue eyed, blonde haired with a muscular body then you'll get nowhere.

That is why. And it's wrong.

That is all.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.