GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Laptops and Gaphics cards...."

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 16/04/02 at 21:26
Regular
Hi all,

I'm thinkig of purchasing a laptop, however, aswell as using it for work, I'd also, ideally, like to be use it to play my PC games.
The Spec is Pentium4, 256 RAM, 30GB, etc etc, which is fine, however, I'd really like some advice regarding the Graphics Card, please.....
... the Card is the ATI Radeon Mobility, with 32MB external DDR-SDRAM - does this Card have PCI or AGP 3D Acceleration? Also, does it support an MPEG decoder for movies and is it DirectX 8 and Open GL driver compatible??

Further, I was told it isn't possible to upgrade the Graphics Card - whys that?

Sorry if this all sounds basic ...

cheers for any help and advice.
Thu 18/04/02 at 16:38
Thanx, really appreciate your reply. My word, you certainly know your onions! :-)

cheers.
Thu 18/04/02 at 16:24
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
T-Devilwhatever...did you even read the original post properly? He's on about laptops!
The ATI Radeon Mobility is just about the best laptop gfx chip you can get (do you really think there's enough room for a gfx card in the laptop??)
It's fully compliant with DirectX 8 (and 8.1 for that matter), as is the case with OpenGL and Direct3D.
As with the MPEG decoding...I seriously doubt it features hardware MPEG decoding but programs such as the latest Windows Media Player and Cyberlink PowerDVD will do this for you (not hardware decoding, obviously). The quality isn't as good, but if your a serious movie fan, you shouldn't be watching them on a PC in the first place.
As for upgrading your gfx card, the prime reason is because most the components on the laptop are soldered to one big board, including the graphics. Normally, the easiest thing to upgrade is the memory, as you'll often have external access to extra memory slots.
Thu 18/04/02 at 13:27
Regular
I have a ATI Radeon 8500. It's one of the worst cards I've had. I've had VooDoo's...Nvidia... but this, well, this card I'm using now is worst from the bunch. I advise you to get a decent GeForce 4 (if not, GeForce 3) and be done with it!
Tue 16/04/02 at 21:26
Hi all,

I'm thinkig of purchasing a laptop, however, aswell as using it for work, I'd also, ideally, like to be use it to play my PC games.
The Spec is Pentium4, 256 RAM, 30GB, etc etc, which is fine, however, I'd really like some advice regarding the Graphics Card, please.....
... the Card is the ATI Radeon Mobility, with 32MB external DDR-SDRAM - does this Card have PCI or AGP 3D Acceleration? Also, does it support an MPEG decoder for movies and is it DirectX 8 and Open GL driver compatible??

Further, I was told it isn't possible to upgrade the Graphics Card - whys that?

Sorry if this all sounds basic ...

cheers for any help and advice.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.