GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"UK ps2 internet?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 16/04/02 at 21:02
Regular
i have'nt heard much about the uk ps2 internet, does anyone know when it will be coming out and if you can access it from any isp, or would you need to sign up to a sony server or something?
Tue 16/04/02 at 21:02
Regular
"!"£$%^&*()_+"
i have'nt heard much about the uk ps2 internet, does anyone know when it will be coming out and if you can access it from any isp, or would you need to sign up to a sony server or something?
Tue 16/04/02 at 21:06
Regular
"Touched!"
Its strange because i was thinking about this, and i just hope sony let us know whats going on, i'm all for the online gaming as long as its either cost free or relatively cheap, i would buy the modem add-on as soon as its released, when that will be is beyond me, they said spring? well its nearly summer soon sony, let us know ;)
Wed 17/04/02 at 11:58
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
The only info I have read so far is that it will be broadband only so that puts 90% of the country out of the equation to start with at the moment..

Come on BT get your act together !!

Sony are testing somewhere at the moment with 1000 users in conjunction with Telewest so that will be your only option presumably.

hopefully something will be announced soon.
Wed 17/04/02 at 16:18
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Are you saying that Telewest customers will be the only people who will be able to access PS2 internet/online gaming?

If that's the case then that's about 99.99% of the market wiped out completely, I have no idea who, what or where Telewest operate from or give access to. Are they like NTL who have their own network outside of BT or do they just run off the BT backbone?

If they run off the BT backbone then anyone else who has signed up for BB (ADSL) with another company (eg PIPEX) who also run off the BT backbone can they not access the PS2 service.

I think it really is about time that Sony started putting some information out to the PS2 owners, alright, not everyone will have either registered or have an email address but those that have should have been informed of what they are doing and even how far development is progressing.
Wed 17/04/02 at 16:27
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Iv'e no idea what the plans are yet.

I read in one of the mags a month or so ago though that they were doing some testing with Telewest to provide the service. What that will mean for us I dont know yet - I just hope it isn't like the original Dreamcast access where you had to use the one provider so nobody could take advantage of any deals with their existing ISP - I certainly didn't use it because why would I want to pay per minute access to access the sega site when I could access free? on my anytime account.

It's madness

let's hope they give some firm information sooner rather than later.
Wed 17/04/02 at 19:20
Regular
I was wondering this aswell as i won't be going online unless i can use my Freeserve ISP and i don't think many people will as it's not really worth it otherwise.
Wed 17/04/02 at 23:43
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Well I definitely wont be going online unless I can use my ISP (Pipex) seeing as work have offered to pay my installation fee and monthly charge there is no way I'm going to pick Telewest just to get onto the PS2 superhighway oooooooh I want to play games online tosh!

They need to open it up to as many ISP's as possible regardless of the complications that will cause, they should have been talking to BT who obviously have the biggest backbone throughout the country and not Telewest!

That's my own opinion but I'm sure I'll get shot down in flames for it ;D
Fri 19/04/02 at 00:33
Regular
"!"£$%^&*()_+"
i think we'll have to wait for the usa to get the ps2 internet first then the uk will probably get it.
Fri 19/04/02 at 00:54
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
I wonder how smooth the graphics and playability of online gaming will be

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.