GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Come on! Tekk-en me!"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 16/04/02 at 19:00
Regular
Tekk-en me! (Take on me!, geddit??)

Tekken Advance Review

Fighters have come a long way since I decided to pick up a controller and started to button bash aimlessly. Now, Namco have performed a handheld miracle by putting their infamous Tekken series on the GBA. With a limited cartridge size, no full 3D engine, Namco had a hard task in front of them, but amazingly pulled it off.
Based on Playstation’s Tekken 3, it sneaks a feature from Tekken Tag.
But has Namco’s little Tekken brother put a threat to a promising start to Street Fighter’s building handheld empire? Will it be good enough to get fighter fans into a dilemma “Should I buy the next Street Fighter GBA or get Tekken instead?”

Features:

· 7 Fighting modes.
· Multi-Pak Link up
· 10 characters and backgrounds
· Unlockable characters and dress
· Automatic Save

Its even fighting modes include the traditional Arcade, VS battle link up, Time Attack, Survival 3 on 3 Battle, 3 vs 3 Battle and Practice. If your friend has the game too, its two multi-player modes are sure to last you a while. Tekken Advance gives Tekken Tag’s (PS2) 3 on 3-battle mode. You can play this against the computer or play against your friend. You choose 3 fighters out of the chosen ten, Paul, Hwoarang, Yoshimitsu, Gun Jack, Xiaoyu, Nina, Law, King, and the unlockable Heihachi, then there is no loading and straight into battle. By using the L button you can change your character. This process is done smoothly, by making them run off the screen, while another member comes on.
There are nine default characters and one unlockable fighter, but fear not as you can dress your high kicking characters in alternative clothes! The automatic save feature is very handy if you hate being asked to save after every fight. It detects your character usage through out the game, and racks the totals up in a neat table you can view after completing Arcade Mode.

Graphics: Without a 3D engine, Namco have created 2D image captures of the original 3D sprites. Though they are not as detailed, because of this, the animation and speed of the game is identical to a PsOnes. Each character therefore is a smooth 2D sprite. Contact between fighters is good, it is realistic as in some game it looks like you are making contact with the other person, but are not hurting him. With Tekken’s trademark mini-explosion every time you hit he opposing person, any Tekken fan will feel at home with the sprite graphics. When you hit the R button, the character’s special move is performed. This is where Namco have made the camera view so it zooms closer to the sprite when the move is being pulled off. Though they look a bit blocky and pixelated, it is a good technique I though I would never see on a handheld.
Each character has his/hers own unique background, each based on Tekken 3’s. All of them impress me as a handheld background. Though only a simple image capture, it gives the complete feeling of a good atmosphere.

Sound: Each character has her/his individual voice they grunt out when performing a move, the sound of contact between fighters resembles the Playstation’s versions. While you battle against that annoyingly hard opponent, a very cool track is pumped in the background. There is a generous amount of tracks being played, each with a great beat to it. Overall its sound is virtually a carbon-copy of the Playstaion’s only through a smaller speaker.

Gameplay: Its learning curve isn’t great. You are able to pick up the controls and be able to give a good fight against the computer in about ¼ to ½ an hour. With only four controls to work with, there is one punch and one kick button unlike the four punch and kick button on the Playstation. There is one hold/throw button, which mainly performs your special move, and the remaining button is used on Tag mode to tag.
On Practice mode, which I found out by pure coincidence, is you can swap the character’s positions around. You are able to change the settings, like instead of 3 rounds you can change it to quick and easy 1 round battle, which I always opt for. The time limit is also changeable, from limitless to 60 seconds.
Fighting your way through Arcade can be frustrating at some points, but generally easy. Some fighters no matter what round you fight them in are easy, but some are quite hard. The so-called boss seems somewhat east to beat, but maybe it’s just me.

Replay Value: After you have got everything, picking up and playing it for a good ½ hour is quite enjoyable, especially with a friend in link-up mode. But the lack of characters is a bit of disadvantage when you have mastered all of the ten. If you want a reason to keep this game, the multi-player link up mode is the reason. Though the other player does need a second game pack.

Personal View: I think this beautiful game can rival the Street Fighter Series to a close battle, but it sure beats Mortal Kombat Advance by a lot.
The sound graphics and gameplay combines this game into a quality fighter for the GBA. Tekken Advance shows a bright future to GBA fighters.

Final Score: 9/10
Tue 16/04/02 at 19:00
Tekk-en me! (Take on me!, geddit??)

Tekken Advance Review

Fighters have come a long way since I decided to pick up a controller and started to button bash aimlessly. Now, Namco have performed a handheld miracle by putting their infamous Tekken series on the GBA. With a limited cartridge size, no full 3D engine, Namco had a hard task in front of them, but amazingly pulled it off.
Based on Playstation’s Tekken 3, it sneaks a feature from Tekken Tag.
But has Namco’s little Tekken brother put a threat to a promising start to Street Fighter’s building handheld empire? Will it be good enough to get fighter fans into a dilemma “Should I buy the next Street Fighter GBA or get Tekken instead?”

Features:

· 7 Fighting modes.
· Multi-Pak Link up
· 10 characters and backgrounds
· Unlockable characters and dress
· Automatic Save

Its even fighting modes include the traditional Arcade, VS battle link up, Time Attack, Survival 3 on 3 Battle, 3 vs 3 Battle and Practice. If your friend has the game too, its two multi-player modes are sure to last you a while. Tekken Advance gives Tekken Tag’s (PS2) 3 on 3-battle mode. You can play this against the computer or play against your friend. You choose 3 fighters out of the chosen ten, Paul, Hwoarang, Yoshimitsu, Gun Jack, Xiaoyu, Nina, Law, King, and the unlockable Heihachi, then there is no loading and straight into battle. By using the L button you can change your character. This process is done smoothly, by making them run off the screen, while another member comes on.
There are nine default characters and one unlockable fighter, but fear not as you can dress your high kicking characters in alternative clothes! The automatic save feature is very handy if you hate being asked to save after every fight. It detects your character usage through out the game, and racks the totals up in a neat table you can view after completing Arcade Mode.

Graphics: Without a 3D engine, Namco have created 2D image captures of the original 3D sprites. Though they are not as detailed, because of this, the animation and speed of the game is identical to a PsOnes. Each character therefore is a smooth 2D sprite. Contact between fighters is good, it is realistic as in some game it looks like you are making contact with the other person, but are not hurting him. With Tekken’s trademark mini-explosion every time you hit he opposing person, any Tekken fan will feel at home with the sprite graphics. When you hit the R button, the character’s special move is performed. This is where Namco have made the camera view so it zooms closer to the sprite when the move is being pulled off. Though they look a bit blocky and pixelated, it is a good technique I though I would never see on a handheld.
Each character has his/hers own unique background, each based on Tekken 3’s. All of them impress me as a handheld background. Though only a simple image capture, it gives the complete feeling of a good atmosphere.

Sound: Each character has her/his individual voice they grunt out when performing a move, the sound of contact between fighters resembles the Playstation’s versions. While you battle against that annoyingly hard opponent, a very cool track is pumped in the background. There is a generous amount of tracks being played, each with a great beat to it. Overall its sound is virtually a carbon-copy of the Playstaion’s only through a smaller speaker.

Gameplay: Its learning curve isn’t great. You are able to pick up the controls and be able to give a good fight against the computer in about ¼ to ½ an hour. With only four controls to work with, there is one punch and one kick button unlike the four punch and kick button on the Playstation. There is one hold/throw button, which mainly performs your special move, and the remaining button is used on Tag mode to tag.
On Practice mode, which I found out by pure coincidence, is you can swap the character’s positions around. You are able to change the settings, like instead of 3 rounds you can change it to quick and easy 1 round battle, which I always opt for. The time limit is also changeable, from limitless to 60 seconds.
Fighting your way through Arcade can be frustrating at some points, but generally easy. Some fighters no matter what round you fight them in are easy, but some are quite hard. The so-called boss seems somewhat east to beat, but maybe it’s just me.

Replay Value: After you have got everything, picking up and playing it for a good ½ hour is quite enjoyable, especially with a friend in link-up mode. But the lack of characters is a bit of disadvantage when you have mastered all of the ten. If you want a reason to keep this game, the multi-player link up mode is the reason. Though the other player does need a second game pack.

Personal View: I think this beautiful game can rival the Street Fighter Series to a close battle, but it sure beats Mortal Kombat Advance by a lot.
The sound graphics and gameplay combines this game into a quality fighter for the GBA. Tekken Advance shows a bright future to GBA fighters.

Final Score: 9/10
Tue 16/04/02 at 19:02
Regular
"Whatever!"
Must say Im quite tempted to get this game!
Tue 16/04/02 at 19:05
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
why don't you post this on ukreviews.com?
Tue 16/04/02 at 20:26
Regular
"-_-"
why the hell did you post this on a chat forum
Tue 16/04/02 at 20:26
Regular
This is quite good, why not post it as a proper review, you might win GAD?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.