GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"ps2&xbox - a superb couple"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 16/04/02 at 12:36
Regular
Yeah, well I just thought that it may be refreshing not to play these two great consoles against each other, but show how good they both are and so on. So if anyone has anything to say about them two, please use only kind words for both. Voice only extremely polite and friendly opinions, don`t say anything that might undermine the status of one or another. Try to find as many positive comparisons as possible.

*ok, regulars, sorry. I know it`s another spam topic from a newbie. But considering the usual reactions, it shouldn`t gain much attention anyway.
I just thought it would be nice to point out another way to look at different consoles - after all, it is not that often, that both are praised at the same time.
Tue 16/04/02 at 14:58
Regular
"Tag as above"
If either of the Xbox or PS2 where to break they would both make excellent paperweights.
Tue 16/04/02 at 13:48
"High polygon count"
Well, I have both machines and I like them both - but not equally. I still prefer PS2 at the moment, and I think it has the better games coming out - certianly this year.

I've really enjoyed playing Halo, Project Gotham Racing and Munch's Oddysee on the Xbox - all great games that are a real credit to the system. Project Gotham was a real surprise to me; I only bought it as a 'filler' so that I didn't have just one game (Halo) to play; it turned out to be a damn good game. For the last fortnight or so, I've probably played on my Xbox more than my PS2.

My only concern about Xbox - and the reason I still favour PS2 - is the games to come.

Looking down the release schedules on this site for the Xbox, I can see just one game that interests me at the moment - and that is Buffy the Vampire Slayer. There are other games that would have interested me, but most of those are already out on PS2 and I've played them, so I've no interest in buying them again - just as I've no interest in buying Deus Ex for the PS2, because I played it on PC a couple of years ago.

Looking down the PS2 release schedule for PS2, there are numerous games due that I simply must play. The Getaway, Stuntman, Run Like Hell, MoH: Frontline, TOCA Race Driver, Onimusha 2, Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness, MoH: Fighter Command, Alien: Colonial Marines, TimeSplitters 2, Driver 3, The Great Escape, The Thing, V-Rally 3, Colin McRae 3, Terminator...

And these are just the games we know about so far. Yes, some of them are vailable on other systems, but many aren't. And that is why, as much as I like the Xbox, I prefer the PS2 - for *me* the PS2 still gives me access to more of the best games than any other platform.

At the moment, though, people deciding on buying a console may not be as tempted by PS2 as at other times. There are some very good games already available, but there aren't that many 'must have' titles available in the short-term future - they're all being stacked up for later in the year.

As is usually the case around this time of year, good new releases are a bit thin on the ground. I think Sony could have done with a few big titles released in the spring/summer months, just to keep people's attention. We had MGS2 launched at around the same time as the Xbox, but there's nothing major due for the launch of Gamecube.

Then again, Sony don't really see themselves as competing with Nintendo directly (different primary target audience, etc.), so it's likely they're not overly concerned; the Gamecube can be immensely successful without really affecting Sony/Microsoft's market.
Tue 16/04/02 at 13:21
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
You can play games on them.
They are both bigger than the Gamecube.
They both ahve black controllers.

heh. :)
Tue 16/04/02 at 13:20
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Ok, I'm going to say this AGAIN, I've had a PS2 since launch day and have been really happy with it, good games, nice controllers etc etc, enough said about the PS2 ;D

X-Box, tried playing one on demo in EB, crap I thought! Now re-read that last bit "I thought", you should have picked up on that bit.

My friend has recently gone out and purchased himself an X-Box and I've spent about 10 nights round his house since he's had one playing on it, I've been hooked on PGR and played Halo the other night (although very drunk and didn't really appreciate it) but I've come to the conclusion that the X-Box is good, has some nice games and the controller isn't as bad as I first thought.

So in conclusion, yes I'm very happy with my PS2, no I wont be getting an X-Box but only because my mate lives 5 mins walk away from my house and I can go round and play on it whenever he's home.

Oh and yes I think the X-Box is good as well, it's black and I like black.
Tue 16/04/02 at 13:19
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
The PS 2 has been designed very well, nice black with a cool blue/purple PS2
sign on the top. The console boasts some great games with the option of future online gaming, the futures bright.

The X Box is also good with it's best game being Halo at the moment, its quite big but has a nice coloured X on it and is also designed by Microsoft.

ive played the game cube in various hight street stores and it looks very small and compact.. it would be easy to take it with you to your mates or on a uk holiday.

The graphics of these 3 consoles seem very similar, as gamer's we should be greatful that we have next generation consoles to play on. I for one like the console competition because it means developers have to work harder to produce exceptional games like GTA 3, MGS 2, Pro Evo, Halo, Mario and so on. This would then allow them competitive advantage.

The future's bright for The Gaming industry.
Tue 16/04/02 at 13:13
Regular
"size does matter"
oh, I´m not worried. there`ve just been some arguments lately that newbies spam too much and I just wanted to apologise in advance, because it seems that some regulars (ok, the so-called regulars) are close to having a nervous breakdown:)))

xbox and ps2 are both...err...eye-catching! there`s a nice word:)
Tue 16/04/02 at 12:56
They are both lovely. Very 'black'. Very console-like.

*PS - Dont worry about the newbie thing. I have been on here since way before the PS2 launch. It seems to be based on wordage rather than time.
In my opinion it doesn't matter how often you post - but try and make it worthwhile. Some of the so called 'regulars' would do well to remember that...
Tue 16/04/02 at 12:36
Regular
"size does matter"
Yeah, well I just thought that it may be refreshing not to play these two great consoles against each other, but show how good they both are and so on. So if anyone has anything to say about them two, please use only kind words for both. Voice only extremely polite and friendly opinions, don`t say anything that might undermine the status of one or another. Try to find as many positive comparisons as possible.

*ok, regulars, sorry. I know it`s another spam topic from a newbie. But considering the usual reactions, it shouldn`t gain much attention anyway.
I just thought it would be nice to point out another way to look at different consoles - after all, it is not that often, that both are praised at the same time.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.