GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Give us Demos!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 16/04/02 at 12:15
Regular
I was one of the many gamers who purchased the original Commandos game,
and enjoyed it thoroughly despite it’s obvious imperfections. Recently, I have been eager to find out what Commandos 2 is like, and how far it has improved on the original. However, none of my mates has it, and the all important demo did not show it’s face, so I had to make do with the PCG review. But since I hadn’t experienced it’s glory for myself, it didn’t make it onto my top list of priority games. So next time I hit the shops I neglected Commandos 2 in favour of Serious Sam which I had played the demo of and become hooked upon. Thus, one publisher lost a sale, and probably many more besides, through a lack of a demo.

So demos are important, but what should they really consist of?
Most importantly, I feel that a demo should not contain material from the actual game. Not only does it give the story away in some cases, but it just gets tedious having to spend time repeating something knowing you have already completed it. People are also less inclined to spend the full price on a game that they already partially own. The demo should be a separate mission or level, as big or small as the developers choose, or have time for. Also, although certain game components can be omitted (such as game modes, locations, styles etc), we should not be deprived of the game’s core elements, ie weapons, abilities, as these are really what make up our enjoyment of a game. We cannot really make a proper decision unless all these vital elements are in place, giving us an accurate overview of the game.

Another important aspect of a demo is the timing of it’s release. The ultimate purpose of a demo is to induce us to buy the game, so the demo should be freely available to everyone at least a month before the game’s release date. That way you have chance to properly evaluate it.

So then, all game demos should consist of a stand-alone mission or level, and contain at least the core elements of the title. It should also be available to us well in advance of the actual game release.
Not too much to ask...........is it?
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Tue 16/04/02 at 12:15
Regular
"Stud-muffin!!"
I was one of the many gamers who purchased the original Commandos game,
and enjoyed it thoroughly despite it’s obvious imperfections. Recently, I have been eager to find out what Commandos 2 is like, and how far it has improved on the original. However, none of my mates has it, and the all important demo did not show it’s face, so I had to make do with the PCG review. But since I hadn’t experienced it’s glory for myself, it didn’t make it onto my top list of priority games. So next time I hit the shops I neglected Commandos 2 in favour of Serious Sam which I had played the demo of and become hooked upon. Thus, one publisher lost a sale, and probably many more besides, through a lack of a demo.

So demos are important, but what should they really consist of?
Most importantly, I feel that a demo should not contain material from the actual game. Not only does it give the story away in some cases, but it just gets tedious having to spend time repeating something knowing you have already completed it. People are also less inclined to spend the full price on a game that they already partially own. The demo should be a separate mission or level, as big or small as the developers choose, or have time for. Also, although certain game components can be omitted (such as game modes, locations, styles etc), we should not be deprived of the game’s core elements, ie weapons, abilities, as these are really what make up our enjoyment of a game. We cannot really make a proper decision unless all these vital elements are in place, giving us an accurate overview of the game.

Another important aspect of a demo is the timing of it’s release. The ultimate purpose of a demo is to induce us to buy the game, so the demo should be freely available to everyone at least a month before the game’s release date. That way you have chance to properly evaluate it.

So then, all game demos should consist of a stand-alone mission or level, and contain at least the core elements of the title. It should also be available to us well in advance of the actual game release.
Not too much to ask...........is it?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.