GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Musical Culture"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 16/04/02 at 03:03
Regular
Very often this idea spins around in my mind, but not until today has it been expressed. The idea is musical culture, and how musical tastes and fashions have created diverse groupings, or 'tribes'. Have you ever looked to your musical taste to ascertain why you live your life like you do? Or why you wear the clothes you wear? It appears somewhat axiomatic that ones musical taste strongly affects the way they live their life. I will demonstrate these points by analysing certain 'tribes', and what cultures and musical tastes underpin their existence.

GOTHS

The goths are often considered to be a mysterious and strange social grouping. Modern gothic culture revolves around eerie souding music such as Marilyn Manson, Ozzy Osbourne, and System of a Down. Gothic music portrays an image of darkness, which is reflected in the clothes the followers wear. Goths are easy to spot, because they wear slightly deviant clothes, which are consistent with the music they listen to. Dark music such as this also affects the games they like to play, Blood Omen 2 is probably a big favourite among the goths as it is consistent with the gothic culture (The gothic images, not the blood sucking!). Gothic culture is a shining example of a community strongly affected by music.

PUNKS

I am referring here to modern punks, as a propose to prior generation punks, who can be strongly associated with the Sex Pistols. Modern punks listen to music with many power chords, and quick drum beats, and teeny vocals, such as Blink 182 and Offspring. The image portrayed by such music is that of extreme sports and risk taking. It is hardly surprising that modern punks are often found at the local skate park or riding the slopes on a snowboard. Modern punks, being fans of extreme sports, are also big fans of the myriad of extreme sports simulations available on the market today. Undoubtedly, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 is among the every self respecting modern punk's game collection.

MODS

The mods originated as an opposition group to the punks in the 1970's. The culture stems from music such as Paul Weller (The MODFather!), and today is influenced by groups such as Oasis and The Strokes. The average mod is usually against much of the aspects of punk rock. It is hardly surprising that mods can be found drinking Foster's in the local bar, instead of speeding down mountains on a snowboard. Mods tend to like games that reflect accepted social norms, such as driving simulations such as GT3, and beat em ups such as Tekken. There is only one culture that mods hate more than the punks, dancers and ravers.

DANCERS AND RAVERS

The nightclub is the shrine for this tribe, who pride themselves in their knowledge of DJ's and nightlife. They tend to like turntable legends such as Carl Cox. They consider themselves a very select group, and acknowledge wannabes with dance culture knowledge quizes. They are also very picky about which clubs they attend, as only a few select ones across the country play the quality of dance music that is tolerable. They would not be seen dead listening to pop music or rock music. True dancers attend nightclubs solely for the music, and this distinguishes them from the mods, who attend solely for the alchohol. They religiously jet off to resorts recommended by mixmag each summer, and come back with their own recommendations of the local club scene. It is a rare dancer or raver who is into videogames in a big way, but when they do, they tend to like arcadey games with lots of flashy lights and colours.

POP MEN

Pop men are a very small and undeserving group among the community. I am referring to 'men' who listen to manufactured pop music, such as S-Club 7 and Steps. Many are wannabe actors or comedians who listen to pop music to get ahead in later life. They tend to play colourful games, and usually only games which score over 90% in the magazine ratings. Their ambition is to one day, know their pop like the girls.

POP TARTS

Pop tarts are the girls you find lining the dancefloor of the 'cheesy room' in the local nightclub. They are often seen running to the DJ with more requests for Blue or Boyzone. They often have Will Young posters on their walls, and some travel across the country to get autographs. They drink Reef and Breezer, and do not play videogames - period. Videogames are simply not part of the pop princess' culture.

GARAGE HEADS

Garage heads pride themselves on their ability to break some moves to the soul sounds of the MC. They drink, but never get overly drunk when they go out. The ambient sounds of the underground garage community are reflected in the games they play. They like racing games, and sports games, and like to turn the sound down to chill to the sounds of DJ Luck, or The Streets. This is a very select and underground club, so in order to get in with the culture, you need to know the music.

AGING ROCKERS

Aging rockers encompasses most males who still posess mullets, and women who still persist in wearing dog collar necklaces. They simply will not let the past go, and insist on their children following the culture. They religiously listen to The Motley Crew, Nuclear Rampage, and Def Leppard. Surprisingly, aging rockers appreciate videogames, and often buy their children the latest console for christmas - cool!

GHETTO RAPPERS

Ghetto rappers want to pretend to originate from the streets of east L.A., and want to be in with the rap and hip-hop culture. They know a lot about Tupac, B.I.G., and watch MTV Base. They enjoy playing driving games, especially GTA3.

GUITAR GEEKS

Guitar geeks are perhaps the most irritating of the tribes. They play the guitar, know the guitar, and hate everything that does not include a guitar. They like to comment on pieces of music they know, and drone on about the myxolydian scale and guitar solos. Guitar geeks, however, tend to like to play videogames in a big way. They have an open perspective on what makes a good game, and takes each game as it comes, not relying on magazine reviews for each purchase. They like to sample the goods and make their own opinion, in the same way they do music.

NEUTRALS

Neutrals do not claim to have a trend or fashion associated with music. They claim to like 'all sorts of music'. The truth however is normally failure to admit to secretly belonging to one of the tribes above. However, true neutrals do exist, and their tastes reflect their gaming choice. They play any game, and rate it on how much they like it as a game, not on the basis of the theme involved. True neutrals are a rarity nowadays, but a good find.

MISCELLANEOUS

Which categorisation would be complete without a miscellaneous category? Into the miscellaneous category go all other followings. These usually involve Alison Moyet loving mothers, Squeeze loving fathers, and Glen Miller loving grandmas. Very often the age involved bypasses videogames thus are rarely affected by the videogaming market. Relax, kick back, and pride yourself that you too could perhaps enter this category a few years from now!

OK, so here are my categories for the tribes in existence which originate from musical following. I would like some feedback! Do you fit well into any of these categories? Do you find them silly and insulting?!? Or am I talking nonsense and these categories apply to no-one. Tick A,B,or C now!

Thanks everyone for reading!
Tue 16/04/02 at 03:03
Very often this idea spins around in my mind, but not until today has it been expressed. The idea is musical culture, and how musical tastes and fashions have created diverse groupings, or 'tribes'. Have you ever looked to your musical taste to ascertain why you live your life like you do? Or why you wear the clothes you wear? It appears somewhat axiomatic that ones musical taste strongly affects the way they live their life. I will demonstrate these points by analysing certain 'tribes', and what cultures and musical tastes underpin their existence.

GOTHS

The goths are often considered to be a mysterious and strange social grouping. Modern gothic culture revolves around eerie souding music such as Marilyn Manson, Ozzy Osbourne, and System of a Down. Gothic music portrays an image of darkness, which is reflected in the clothes the followers wear. Goths are easy to spot, because they wear slightly deviant clothes, which are consistent with the music they listen to. Dark music such as this also affects the games they like to play, Blood Omen 2 is probably a big favourite among the goths as it is consistent with the gothic culture (The gothic images, not the blood sucking!). Gothic culture is a shining example of a community strongly affected by music.

PUNKS

I am referring here to modern punks, as a propose to prior generation punks, who can be strongly associated with the Sex Pistols. Modern punks listen to music with many power chords, and quick drum beats, and teeny vocals, such as Blink 182 and Offspring. The image portrayed by such music is that of extreme sports and risk taking. It is hardly surprising that modern punks are often found at the local skate park or riding the slopes on a snowboard. Modern punks, being fans of extreme sports, are also big fans of the myriad of extreme sports simulations available on the market today. Undoubtedly, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 is among the every self respecting modern punk's game collection.

MODS

The mods originated as an opposition group to the punks in the 1970's. The culture stems from music such as Paul Weller (The MODFather!), and today is influenced by groups such as Oasis and The Strokes. The average mod is usually against much of the aspects of punk rock. It is hardly surprising that mods can be found drinking Foster's in the local bar, instead of speeding down mountains on a snowboard. Mods tend to like games that reflect accepted social norms, such as driving simulations such as GT3, and beat em ups such as Tekken. There is only one culture that mods hate more than the punks, dancers and ravers.

DANCERS AND RAVERS

The nightclub is the shrine for this tribe, who pride themselves in their knowledge of DJ's and nightlife. They tend to like turntable legends such as Carl Cox. They consider themselves a very select group, and acknowledge wannabes with dance culture knowledge quizes. They are also very picky about which clubs they attend, as only a few select ones across the country play the quality of dance music that is tolerable. They would not be seen dead listening to pop music or rock music. True dancers attend nightclubs solely for the music, and this distinguishes them from the mods, who attend solely for the alchohol. They religiously jet off to resorts recommended by mixmag each summer, and come back with their own recommendations of the local club scene. It is a rare dancer or raver who is into videogames in a big way, but when they do, they tend to like arcadey games with lots of flashy lights and colours.

POP MEN

Pop men are a very small and undeserving group among the community. I am referring to 'men' who listen to manufactured pop music, such as S-Club 7 and Steps. Many are wannabe actors or comedians who listen to pop music to get ahead in later life. They tend to play colourful games, and usually only games which score over 90% in the magazine ratings. Their ambition is to one day, know their pop like the girls.

POP TARTS

Pop tarts are the girls you find lining the dancefloor of the 'cheesy room' in the local nightclub. They are often seen running to the DJ with more requests for Blue or Boyzone. They often have Will Young posters on their walls, and some travel across the country to get autographs. They drink Reef and Breezer, and do not play videogames - period. Videogames are simply not part of the pop princess' culture.

GARAGE HEADS

Garage heads pride themselves on their ability to break some moves to the soul sounds of the MC. They drink, but never get overly drunk when they go out. The ambient sounds of the underground garage community are reflected in the games they play. They like racing games, and sports games, and like to turn the sound down to chill to the sounds of DJ Luck, or The Streets. This is a very select and underground club, so in order to get in with the culture, you need to know the music.

AGING ROCKERS

Aging rockers encompasses most males who still posess mullets, and women who still persist in wearing dog collar necklaces. They simply will not let the past go, and insist on their children following the culture. They religiously listen to The Motley Crew, Nuclear Rampage, and Def Leppard. Surprisingly, aging rockers appreciate videogames, and often buy their children the latest console for christmas - cool!

GHETTO RAPPERS

Ghetto rappers want to pretend to originate from the streets of east L.A., and want to be in with the rap and hip-hop culture. They know a lot about Tupac, B.I.G., and watch MTV Base. They enjoy playing driving games, especially GTA3.

GUITAR GEEKS

Guitar geeks are perhaps the most irritating of the tribes. They play the guitar, know the guitar, and hate everything that does not include a guitar. They like to comment on pieces of music they know, and drone on about the myxolydian scale and guitar solos. Guitar geeks, however, tend to like to play videogames in a big way. They have an open perspective on what makes a good game, and takes each game as it comes, not relying on magazine reviews for each purchase. They like to sample the goods and make their own opinion, in the same way they do music.

NEUTRALS

Neutrals do not claim to have a trend or fashion associated with music. They claim to like 'all sorts of music'. The truth however is normally failure to admit to secretly belonging to one of the tribes above. However, true neutrals do exist, and their tastes reflect their gaming choice. They play any game, and rate it on how much they like it as a game, not on the basis of the theme involved. True neutrals are a rarity nowadays, but a good find.

MISCELLANEOUS

Which categorisation would be complete without a miscellaneous category? Into the miscellaneous category go all other followings. These usually involve Alison Moyet loving mothers, Squeeze loving fathers, and Glen Miller loving grandmas. Very often the age involved bypasses videogames thus are rarely affected by the videogaming market. Relax, kick back, and pride yourself that you too could perhaps enter this category a few years from now!

OK, so here are my categories for the tribes in existence which originate from musical following. I would like some feedback! Do you fit well into any of these categories? Do you find them silly and insulting?!? Or am I talking nonsense and these categories apply to no-one. Tick A,B,or C now!

Thanks everyone for reading!
Tue 16/04/02 at 04:30
Regular
"Ka mate! Ka ora!"
>The mods originated as an opposition group to the punks in the 1970's.

If the MODS originated in the 1970's, who where the Rockers' fighting in Brighton and Clacton in the 1960's.

MODISM began in London in the late fifties as a middle-class, Jewish, money-led fashion / movement. Then progressed into the sixties, to become a contemporary (mainly male) "angry" working class stance known as MODS.

Musical tastes included R n'B, Soul and Ska.

>There is only one culture that mods hate more than the punks, dancers >and ravers.

MODS were the original ravers. They would take "stimulants", dance allnight long and be more concerned on what they looked like. Rather than looking for girls.

>instead of speeding down mountains on a snowboard.

Ever been on the back of a Vespa, in the wet!
Tue 16/04/02 at 05:33
I'm corrected! Sorry.
Tue 16/04/02 at 15:51
Regular
"Ka mate! Ka ora!"
Not a problem!!! enjoyed the read (as norm)
cool to see posting at a civilized hour.

Rock is dead; Long live rock. (PT).
Tue 16/04/02 at 15:56
>revolves around eerie souding music such as Marilyn Manson, Ozzy Osbourne, and System of a Down.

System of a down.... goth rock?

No.
Tue 16/04/02 at 16:07
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
When I read this post, I heard a 1950s, upper-class male newsreader voice in my head:

These youths are "dancing" to a popular beat combo. The pace is frenetic and quite possibly involves touching of body parts in a lascivious manner"

You can't analyse music maaan, it loses it's heart.
You're just too square daddy-o, leave the tunes for the hip-cats that don't question, we just feel the groove.
Tue 16/04/02 at 16:16
Regular
"DS..."
I reckon that i'm a sort of true neutral as i hardly ever show interest in music and in some cases actually like the in game music in some games (unless it's blatenty lame and retarded) I cant even remember the last time I actually bought a music CD as I practically only by games or games related stuff, i dont allways go on what magazines say in the way of ratings but i do actually refuse (most of the time) to buy a game that has a score of less then 80-85, so maybe im a true neutral but then again maybe not, ah well to be honest i dont really care :D I'm just a hardcore gamer and thats just about it.
slik ~_~

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.