GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Older gamers in the majority?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 15/04/02 at 18:57
Regular
According to ELSPA, teenage gamers are in the minority, and the average age of gamers in Europe is 25-35. Eh?

Surveys tend to be a load of old baloney, but this one is rather amusing. ELSPA, or the European Leisure Software Publishers Association (or the people who try and stop from buying violent games)has concluded its annual market survey with some rather strange results. When finding out the average age of games players around Europe, ELSPA claim their results point to those around 25-35 years of age. Cut to comedy visual of Nintendo executive spraying coffee over his monitor. Either we're way out of touch, or those results are a little... off.

Considering a very small percentage of games on the market are catered towards the adult market (and I don't mean that kind of adult market), and the majority of games released are geared towards a slightly younger audience, these results seem even more hard to believe. ELSPA claim the release of the PS2 and the Xbox, plus the rising costs of PCs raises the average age. Their research also suggests that a high percentage of gamers are single, have "little or no children" and a high disposable income.

So, are Nintendo wasting their time with games about cuddly little monsters and lost plumbers? Not judging by sales figures. Sure, more mature games like MGS2, GTA3 and Halo will attract the older game, but 35 year-olds? Get outta here, pops.

What do you think? Are older gamers out-numbering us young whippersnappers?
Mon 15/04/02 at 18:57
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
According to ELSPA, teenage gamers are in the minority, and the average age of gamers in Europe is 25-35. Eh?

Surveys tend to be a load of old baloney, but this one is rather amusing. ELSPA, or the European Leisure Software Publishers Association (or the people who try and stop from buying violent games)has concluded its annual market survey with some rather strange results. When finding out the average age of games players around Europe, ELSPA claim their results point to those around 25-35 years of age. Cut to comedy visual of Nintendo executive spraying coffee over his monitor. Either we're way out of touch, or those results are a little... off.

Considering a very small percentage of games on the market are catered towards the adult market (and I don't mean that kind of adult market), and the majority of games released are geared towards a slightly younger audience, these results seem even more hard to believe. ELSPA claim the release of the PS2 and the Xbox, plus the rising costs of PCs raises the average age. Their research also suggests that a high percentage of gamers are single, have "little or no children" and a high disposable income.

So, are Nintendo wasting their time with games about cuddly little monsters and lost plumbers? Not judging by sales figures. Sure, more mature games like MGS2, GTA3 and Halo will attract the older game, but 35 year-olds? Get outta here, pops.

What do you think? Are older gamers out-numbering us young whippersnappers?
Mon 15/04/02 at 19:00
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Well i have noticed that ALOT of gamers are older these days, around the figures you stated (25-35).

Whilst ive been getting heavily involved with the gaming industry because of my GCSE grapcs project ive been talking to numerous people and everything and have found loads of 'big kids' from those ages who play games heavily.

Its quite funny really.
Mon 15/04/02 at 19:49
I know a lot of people will not agree with this and it is slightly off the topic but here goes anyway...

I notice that the report singles out that MGS2, GTA3 and Halo will attract the older gamer but not 25-35. Well it is not these games that attract older gamers but games like Mario that you try to categorise as a childish game. The games are based on great gameplay and that will always attract people of any age. I know it is true for the gamers of 25 upwards that I know ( not evryone just the ones i know) would much rather have Mario than MGS2, GTA3 and Halo.

This image that a game like mario doesnt appeal to adults because of its cartoonish graphics is a perception put accross by teenagers who dont want to be seen playing what looks like a kids game this of course is supported by the media such as yourselves. If you look at sales figures for so called kids games you will find that those games such as Mario or even Jak and Daxter are bought by a lot of adults as well as for children.

Anyway enough of my ranting and although no one will believe me I am not anti all the other consoles ( Ihave a PS2 with GTA3 and MGS2 believe it or not!!) it just annoys me that Nintendo is always put down for being a kids game maker when if you actually play the games you will realise just how good they actually are.
Mon 15/04/02 at 19:53
"Uzi Lover"
I heard those facts a little while a go and to say the least I was surpised.

Well we would expect it to be that age instead of over 50's but not teenagers and ages below. Thats mad. As you said Nintendo aims at the younger audiences whilst others buy the PS2, mostly.

I think they just counted all this survey on who brought the consoles. That means they may have just brought the console and not played on it much at all compared to the teenagers. Like when the PS2 was annouced I'm sure many 25 year olds would of LOVED a PS2 and so, having the money, they buy it. Instead of getting their parents to buy them it, apart from a small number of cases :-)

It is wierd though, you would expect the age range to be in the teens. Infact its not mad, its mental. As for that bit about not having no kids or no wife that just makes me feel a bit insecure as a gamer. It's kind of bringing back that 'geeky' look to gaming. I hate that.

Nice to see people playing games at that age though, nice to see they have so much spare time :-)
Mon 15/04/02 at 19:56
"Uzi Lover"
ahsha wrote:
I know it is true for the
> gamers of 25 upwards that I know ( not evryone just the ones i know)
> would much rather have Mario than MGS2, GTA3 and Halo.
>

I think that that is totally believable. These games players are the ones who grew up playing Mario and all the classic titles which started gaming. So it's no doubt they'll be playing Mario and all the ones they did when they were younger.

I wonder what it may be like in gamings future...not very good in some views.
Mon 15/04/02 at 20:01
People, think a bit. Gaming broke through in 1986 when Nintendo and Sega were still battling about who was the best and now, 16 years later the battle still goes on. But 16 years...for instance, in 1986 a guy was 16 and hooked to games, probably still is after all these years so 16 + 16 = 32 years old. So that average is correct. Myself, I was 2 at that time but heck I liked bashing those buttons at that time. But Im still a gamer with all my heart (and I can tell you, my girlfriend doesnt always like it) and probably still will be in 16, 20 maybe even 30 years. And the people saying that Mario is kiddy, maybe, but Mario always has the best playability and storyline cuz of our good friend Shigeru Miyamoto. I'm a Nintendo-fan but not always. When there's a good game on the X-Box, PS2 or PC I enjoy it just as much as playing any other game. But going too far off-topic now...I'll just go back into my corner and shut up ;P

*GIMME THAT FREE GAME* :D
Mon 15/04/02 at 20:04
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Now THATS what you call 'Hardcore Gamers'

heheh

:D
Mon 15/04/02 at 20:14
Regular
"Their research also suggests that a high percentage of gamers are single, have "little or no children" and a high disposable income."

So, they either have no children, or little children?

What's with that? Does gaming stunt your sperm's growth?
Mon 15/04/02 at 20:22
Grix Thraves wrote:
> What's with that? Does gaming stunt your sperm's growth?

Guess so...I mean there are no buttons on a woman...so the gamers actually hafta DO something! ;P
Mon 15/04/02 at 21:03
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Mr.Snuggly wrote:

What do you think? Are older gamers out-numbering us young whipper-snappers?

Us? US? You're 25, sunshine,... it's all downhill for you from now on! :)

I don't think Nintendo are wasting their time. I think their games have a lot of appeal. Especially seeing as they're the best games around. I'm not denying there are some quality titles on the PS2 and X-Box, but in general, I think Nintendo make the better games.

What I spoke about a while back, was the fact that the same game can appeal to different age groups. Mario for example would appeal to kids because its an amazing adventure, while older people like you and me, 25 and 18, respectively - would find pleasure in the comedy and the heritage that the franchise carries.

While I don't quite believe the ELSPA would have said what they said if it weren't for a back-hander from Microsoft, if it was really the case, I don't think it'd have a MASSIVE effect on Nintendo's profits... the reasons being:

A) Not everybody likes 'mature games' - some people don't like the thought of sharks biting peoples legs off, others don't like the thought of stealing someones car, or the language that follows it.

B) At 35, most people are married - Blokes like Meka, even if they wanted to, might not buy mature games because of their children, or their WIFE! But like I said, they just might not take to overly violent games... for me, it takes all the fun out of the game!

Nintendo know what they're doing... 'Gaming for Everyone' is an excellent slogan, and judging by the 2002 release list, they're not defecting from the plan to provide fun gfames for everyone.

We also have to remember that the higher the rating, the less number of people can buy it, or play it. A lot of people will have been lured away from the X-Box to GameCube or even PS2, because of the reputation of the console. Microsoft specifically pointed out the 25-35 target market.

It's hard to say whether older games are in the majority, because everyone will have different opinions on who's old and who isn't. Do you say people play games from 5 to 35 and so 20 is the age of the 'middle-aged' gamer? Or do you say that 16-year-olds and up want mature games because they're going through puberty and turning into adults? But then again, you could say that anyone over 30 would be married with children, so regardless of age, they'd pick a console according to what was suitable.

You could argue forever...

My final say is that Nintendo provide games for everyone, and because of this, I think it's popularity will grow... GameCube, may not take off for another few months here, but Pre-Order numbers are looking up, and given a year, the GameCube will have a library so strong that most people will find it hard to look away!

Game

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.