GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Has The Gaming Magic Gone?"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 15/04/02 at 16:15
Regular
Since my very first gaming system, which was the Atari 2600, I have took a deep interest in gaming and the work that’s involved. I have had many systems to try including

- Commodore 64
- Atari ST
- Amiga
- Megadrive
- SNES
- PC
- Saturn
- Dreamcast

And now my XBox.

Oh of course not forgetting the amazing Ping-Pong game with those annoying brick looking things.

Now for me the Megadrive and even the SNES had games that for me had the magical touch. Games like:

Megadrive
-------------

Mickey and Donald’s: World of Illusion
Castle of Illusion
Quackshot

PC Games
-------------

Simon the Sorcerer 1/2
Broken Sword
Discworld
Sam & Max
Day of the Tentacle
Silver

Saturn
-------

Nights into Dreams

These are to name but just a few.

What I am worried about is such games like the soon to be released Simon the Sorcerer 3 which is now in 3D as apposed to the 2D nature of a lot of my favourite games. Now Simon the Sorcerer had it all for me. Comedy, a wizard, a lovely little dog that slept throughout most of the game, and great backdrops and music.

As games demand more features such as full 3D environments (otherwise the game won’t even find a publisher) and many advanced technologies provided by new graphics cards, a lot of the what I call magical games are disappearing into the darkness never to be seen again.

All games seem to be about today is shooting things, hurting things and destruction. Although I love these games I like to have a good variety to choose from. I am still desperate to find a game that fires my imagination like the older “Magical” games once did.

The point and click adventures such as Broken Sword which was an amazing 2D adventure game which is now also being revamped into 3D for many platforms, but at what cost?

Are we going loose many of the endearing qualities of the previous incarnations just for 3D graphics?

Knights into Dreams proved to me on the Sega Saturn that even 3D games could have a “Magical” quality to them without loosing any 3D features, but as more and more publishers want the latest technologies we are getting drab games like “Mystery of the Druids” which had pre-rendered backdrops and a dodgy looking 3D character. The dialogue was rubbish and certainly nothing to write home about.

So what are the ingredients for a Magical game?

- ˝ a teas spoon of mesmerising graphics,
- 1lb of enchanting music,
- 1 cup of exciting story line,
- a ton of unknown Magical substances from older games.

Mix well together then put in oven until packaging is bright and colourful.

Final Fantasy is a very popular RPG, but even this requires some sort of violence to keep you interested in the game. In older games all you would need is a comfy chair, a dim light, and a drink to quench your first when you became stuck. Now you need giant monsters, and strange looking creatures that fine ice, fire and heaven knows whatever else.

I for one am hoping that Simon the Sorcerer 3 reignites some passion back into gaming. A little less rampaging on streets with machine guns for an innocent comical romp around unknown and exciting locations to explore for hours on end.
Mon 15/04/02 at 19:27
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
GlideM wrote:
> Ahh yes Monkey Island, 3 was very good indeed, not sure about the
> previous 2 though!

Try the 4th. Now in full 3d. lol, I sound like an advert
Mon 15/04/02 at 18:36
Regular
"yamahapkowner.com"
Indeed yes Silver did have Violence, but that had amazing music and a great feel to the game.

Ahh yes Monkey Island, 3 was very good indeed, not sure about the previous 2 though!
Mon 15/04/02 at 16:29
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
GlideM wrote:

> Final Fantasy is a very popular RPG, but even this requires some sort
> of violence to keep you interested in the game. In older games all
> you would need is a comfy chair, a dim light, and a drink to quench
> your first when you became stuck. Now you need giant monsters, and
> strange looking creatures that fine ice, fire and heaven knows
> whatever else.

You say FF needs violence to keep you interested in it, yet you previously mentioned 'Silver' which I remember as being an RPG where you played some young man/boy who had to kill many guards, and involve himself in alot of violence to rescue his girlfreind or somthing. If you liked silver, then perhaps you would like the Baulders Gate series. Also, a game which requires very little violence (so where is the violence you're asking? It is, of course, in the monkey fighting) is the Monkey Island series. Its funny, light hearted and challenging. Forgive me if you mentioned this above, but I don't think you did.
Mon 15/04/02 at 16:15
Regular
"yamahapkowner.com"
Since my very first gaming system, which was the Atari 2600, I have took a deep interest in gaming and the work that’s involved. I have had many systems to try including

- Commodore 64
- Atari ST
- Amiga
- Megadrive
- SNES
- PC
- Saturn
- Dreamcast

And now my XBox.

Oh of course not forgetting the amazing Ping-Pong game with those annoying brick looking things.

Now for me the Megadrive and even the SNES had games that for me had the magical touch. Games like:

Megadrive
-------------

Mickey and Donald’s: World of Illusion
Castle of Illusion
Quackshot

PC Games
-------------

Simon the Sorcerer 1/2
Broken Sword
Discworld
Sam & Max
Day of the Tentacle
Silver

Saturn
-------

Nights into Dreams

These are to name but just a few.

What I am worried about is such games like the soon to be released Simon the Sorcerer 3 which is now in 3D as apposed to the 2D nature of a lot of my favourite games. Now Simon the Sorcerer had it all for me. Comedy, a wizard, a lovely little dog that slept throughout most of the game, and great backdrops and music.

As games demand more features such as full 3D environments (otherwise the game won’t even find a publisher) and many advanced technologies provided by new graphics cards, a lot of the what I call magical games are disappearing into the darkness never to be seen again.

All games seem to be about today is shooting things, hurting things and destruction. Although I love these games I like to have a good variety to choose from. I am still desperate to find a game that fires my imagination like the older “Magical” games once did.

The point and click adventures such as Broken Sword which was an amazing 2D adventure game which is now also being revamped into 3D for many platforms, but at what cost?

Are we going loose many of the endearing qualities of the previous incarnations just for 3D graphics?

Knights into Dreams proved to me on the Sega Saturn that even 3D games could have a “Magical” quality to them without loosing any 3D features, but as more and more publishers want the latest technologies we are getting drab games like “Mystery of the Druids” which had pre-rendered backdrops and a dodgy looking 3D character. The dialogue was rubbish and certainly nothing to write home about.

So what are the ingredients for a Magical game?

- ˝ a teas spoon of mesmerising graphics,
- 1lb of enchanting music,
- 1 cup of exciting story line,
- a ton of unknown Magical substances from older games.

Mix well together then put in oven until packaging is bright and colourful.

Final Fantasy is a very popular RPG, but even this requires some sort of violence to keep you interested in the game. In older games all you would need is a comfy chair, a dim light, and a drink to quench your first when you became stuck. Now you need giant monsters, and strange looking creatures that fine ice, fire and heaven knows whatever else.

I for one am hoping that Simon the Sorcerer 3 reignites some passion back into gaming. A little less rampaging on streets with machine guns for an innocent comical romp around unknown and exciting locations to explore for hours on end.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.