GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"DVD make me red-faced."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 15/04/02 at 10:35
Regular
DVD extras.
Some discs have excellent features with bonus material falling out the bottom.
And others have nothing.
Actually, that’s a lie. Some DVDs claim, under special features “Interactive Menu” and “English Language”
*claps slowly*
Gee thanks for that. I bought the Die Hard 2-disc set last weekend and it’s utter rubbish. The film is good, without doubt, but the “6hrs of Bonus Feature” is a lie. Well, maybe it’s not a lie if you let the “Interactive Stills Gallery” run it’s full course instead of getting bored looking at photos of men with beards standing around a camera.
You get one of the dullest mini-features ever with some tech blokes talking about why widescreen is better than pan & scan (because you see more…these guys are professionals, remember that) and then some other rubbish.

And on the other hand I bought “From Dusk Till Dawn” on Saturday, the 2-disc set with a documentary shot on-set by the girl that makes the coffee, another 2 documentaries, music videos, alternate takes, outtakes, 3 different commentaries, previews and a whole shed load of stuff crammed onto that disc.
It makes an otherwise enjoyable movie a top-flight DVD.

So why can one DVD have a lot of cool features, yet another have zero?
Oh, and whilst I’m on this, “Interactive Menus” is NOT a special feature, any more than “Automatic Breathing” is a special feature of being human. It’s taken as a given.

And another thing that gets my goat about DVDs.
Region 1 and Region 2 differences in extras.
Get Mallrats or any other Kevin Smith DVD on Region 1 and you get more features than you get through in one sitting. Outtakes, deleted scenes, scripts, storyboards, commentaries etc. Mallrats has one of the best special features I’ve yet to see on a DVD.
And Region 2?
“Interactive Menu” “Language Selection”.
Yep, those two hoary old excuses for features.
Why? Why release EXACTLY THE SAME FILM but remove the features?
Do we not count as an audience? Do we not make up quite a large % of box office gross potential? So why are we treated like Ruprett the Monkey Boy and kept in the cellar, fed apple puree and ignored when visitors visit?
The Princess Bride, R1 has commentaries, deleted scenes, home movie shot by Carey Elwes on set and more goodies. Now can you guess what R2 has?
Yep, you’re correct, pick a prize.

This sucks.
This is why I recommend you get a multi-region DVD played from either SR or another high-street electronic chain (they sell a DVD that plays any region provided you have the code, and I do).
Don’t settle for a Region 2 only DVD and get short-changed by lazy distributors.
Get Region 1, get them with features worth owning a DVD player for, and get them months in advances.
Screw the UK V.A.T and screw our cinema release schedule.

We’re on the same release calendar as Peru.
Peru for chrissakes.

Well, Muchas Veces I don’t know if I’m coming or I’m going, but I do know Region 2 sucks monkey pole.
Mon 15/04/02 at 11:01
"High polygon count"
Ice Blaster wrote:
> Damn straight Goatboy. Region 2 does suck. Americans, Region 0/1 (yes
> they get 2)

We all get 2!

Region 0 is "all-region" and will play on any player.

Much of the reason we get fewer extras is because R2 also covers Europe, and to put all these foreign languages on, they need to cut extras.

Well, that's a reason for the fully-loaded discs, anyway. But I see no reason these days for having no extras *at all* on a disc.
Mon 15/04/02 at 10:57
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Ice Blaster wrote:
*Goatboy- stock up on fags today and tommorow as they go up in price
> on wednesday:D*

---

Another reason this country sucks.
Mon 15/04/02 at 10:54
Regular
"Back in black"
Damn straight Goatboy. Region 2 does suck. Americans, Region 0/1 (yes they get 2) always have more features than us 'low life' Brits. We may suck as a country but give us something. RESPECT our DVD needs!!

*Goatboy- stock up on fags today and tommorow as they go up in price on wednesday:D*
Mon 15/04/02 at 10:35
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
DVD extras.
Some discs have excellent features with bonus material falling out the bottom.
And others have nothing.
Actually, that’s a lie. Some DVDs claim, under special features “Interactive Menu” and “English Language”
*claps slowly*
Gee thanks for that. I bought the Die Hard 2-disc set last weekend and it’s utter rubbish. The film is good, without doubt, but the “6hrs of Bonus Feature” is a lie. Well, maybe it’s not a lie if you let the “Interactive Stills Gallery” run it’s full course instead of getting bored looking at photos of men with beards standing around a camera.
You get one of the dullest mini-features ever with some tech blokes talking about why widescreen is better than pan & scan (because you see more…these guys are professionals, remember that) and then some other rubbish.

And on the other hand I bought “From Dusk Till Dawn” on Saturday, the 2-disc set with a documentary shot on-set by the girl that makes the coffee, another 2 documentaries, music videos, alternate takes, outtakes, 3 different commentaries, previews and a whole shed load of stuff crammed onto that disc.
It makes an otherwise enjoyable movie a top-flight DVD.

So why can one DVD have a lot of cool features, yet another have zero?
Oh, and whilst I’m on this, “Interactive Menus” is NOT a special feature, any more than “Automatic Breathing” is a special feature of being human. It’s taken as a given.

And another thing that gets my goat about DVDs.
Region 1 and Region 2 differences in extras.
Get Mallrats or any other Kevin Smith DVD on Region 1 and you get more features than you get through in one sitting. Outtakes, deleted scenes, scripts, storyboards, commentaries etc. Mallrats has one of the best special features I’ve yet to see on a DVD.
And Region 2?
“Interactive Menu” “Language Selection”.
Yep, those two hoary old excuses for features.
Why? Why release EXACTLY THE SAME FILM but remove the features?
Do we not count as an audience? Do we not make up quite a large % of box office gross potential? So why are we treated like Ruprett the Monkey Boy and kept in the cellar, fed apple puree and ignored when visitors visit?
The Princess Bride, R1 has commentaries, deleted scenes, home movie shot by Carey Elwes on set and more goodies. Now can you guess what R2 has?
Yep, you’re correct, pick a prize.

This sucks.
This is why I recommend you get a multi-region DVD played from either SR or another high-street electronic chain (they sell a DVD that plays any region provided you have the code, and I do).
Don’t settle for a Region 2 only DVD and get short-changed by lazy distributors.
Get Region 1, get them with features worth owning a DVD player for, and get them months in advances.
Screw the UK V.A.T and screw our cinema release schedule.

We’re on the same release calendar as Peru.
Peru for chrissakes.

Well, Muchas Veces I don’t know if I’m coming or I’m going, but I do know Region 2 sucks monkey pole.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.