GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Diary of a crap gig"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 15/04/02 at 02:27
Regular
The Metro Club - Oxford St. Last Friday.

Took an age to actually get round the back to unload (you try driving to a place half-way down Oxford St).
Eventually get into the venue at 5:30, having been asked to get there for 5pm.
Unload and find out the sound-man isn;t there yet, stuck in traffic.
We've been told to share kits, and I brought mine just in case.
And just as well, because the kit there has only 1 tom, where I use 3 and can't make do with only 1.
So an argument with stroppy French drummer in 2nd band.

Sound Engineer arrives and starts sound-check.
It's too loud out-front, you can't hear anything except a wall of noise at uncomfortable levels.
Onstage is the same, nothing coming back through the monitors except vocals at ear-splitting levels.
All bands complain but we're told "that's how it is with this rig"

We're told to go onstage at 8:15pm and we refuse because stage-time in the contract says 8:30.
We go, play the gig and it's too loud.
Can't hear individual notes and have to guess where we are in the songs.
Audience is wincing at the levels.
Finish and pack gear up fast.
Sit at the back and drink a lot of Stella.

2nd band is terrible, a very bad rock outfit with a singer that can't and a guitarist with too many pedals and he keeps going out of tune.

Headline band is a Strokes/Hives/White Stripes rip-off and the guitarist looks like The Edge circa Joshua Tree era, and wears make-up.
They suck and a drunk American wearing shades at 10:30pm inside is falling-down drunk and invades the stage to sing.

Row with the missus and that's a perfect finale to a rubbish gig.
But guitarist's ex is here with her Italian best-mate, who is also a dancer.
Things improve slightly.

(Following 2 hours censored for family viewing)

Catch a ride back to Hoxton, load drums into my car and head back towards Acton.
Get lose and end up in Hackney.

3am and get back to Acton.
Fall asleep, wake up at 7am because of alarm set for missus to get to the gym early.
Tired, aching, bad moo.

----

Not the best gig we've ever done, but there you go.
Some are excellent, some are average and some stink like a week-dead dog's ass.
Chalk it to experience and continue on.

Bah
Mon 15/04/02 at 10:59
Regular
"Back in black"
Heh- sounds like you had fun. What is your band called and do you play local gigs or do you get around the country a bit?
Mon 15/04/02 at 07:09
Regular
"Brrrrr."
Well, did you have FUN?!!!
Mon 15/04/02 at 02:27
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
The Metro Club - Oxford St. Last Friday.

Took an age to actually get round the back to unload (you try driving to a place half-way down Oxford St).
Eventually get into the venue at 5:30, having been asked to get there for 5pm.
Unload and find out the sound-man isn;t there yet, stuck in traffic.
We've been told to share kits, and I brought mine just in case.
And just as well, because the kit there has only 1 tom, where I use 3 and can't make do with only 1.
So an argument with stroppy French drummer in 2nd band.

Sound Engineer arrives and starts sound-check.
It's too loud out-front, you can't hear anything except a wall of noise at uncomfortable levels.
Onstage is the same, nothing coming back through the monitors except vocals at ear-splitting levels.
All bands complain but we're told "that's how it is with this rig"

We're told to go onstage at 8:15pm and we refuse because stage-time in the contract says 8:30.
We go, play the gig and it's too loud.
Can't hear individual notes and have to guess where we are in the songs.
Audience is wincing at the levels.
Finish and pack gear up fast.
Sit at the back and drink a lot of Stella.

2nd band is terrible, a very bad rock outfit with a singer that can't and a guitarist with too many pedals and he keeps going out of tune.

Headline band is a Strokes/Hives/White Stripes rip-off and the guitarist looks like The Edge circa Joshua Tree era, and wears make-up.
They suck and a drunk American wearing shades at 10:30pm inside is falling-down drunk and invades the stage to sing.

Row with the missus and that's a perfect finale to a rubbish gig.
But guitarist's ex is here with her Italian best-mate, who is also a dancer.
Things improve slightly.

(Following 2 hours censored for family viewing)

Catch a ride back to Hoxton, load drums into my car and head back towards Acton.
Get lose and end up in Hackney.

3am and get back to Acton.
Fall asleep, wake up at 7am because of alarm set for missus to get to the gym early.
Tired, aching, bad moo.

----

Not the best gig we've ever done, but there you go.
Some are excellent, some are average and some stink like a week-dead dog's ass.
Chalk it to experience and continue on.

Bah

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.