GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Backing up Windows 2000"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 14/04/02 at 21:17
Regular
Does anyone know which method is best to back up an entire hard drive with Windows 2000 installed?

I want to be able to fully recover from a hard drive failure, so everything will have to be imaged.

I tried Norton Ghost 2000 but that really doesn't like Windows 2000, and when I tried it in DOS it wouldn't even find my hard drives.

Can anyone recommend a decent program that actually likes Win 2K?

Thanks
Thu 18/04/02 at 23:26
Regular
Thanks for the tip!

I don't have the required hardware yet and as I was desperate to get a backup going before something went wrong (I have a lot of work on here), I searched the net for info.

I found out that the latest Norton Ghost can backup FROM an NTFS drive, but not TO it. So, as all my drives were NTFS I couldn't make a backup. I formatted my smallest drive to FAT32 and there it was - the ability to back up my other 2 NTFS drives onto the FAT32 one.

Interestingly, Ghost CAN restore onto a NTFS drive, so don't know why it can't backup from one...

Gareth
Mon 15/04/02 at 20:26
Regular
"hockeyphotos.com"
I think Win2k has a built-in backup program that works with most modern (and certainly all DAT) tape drives. However, I don't think it would be able to do a complete system backup because it couldn't copy files that are in use. You would probably have to do at least a minimal reinstall of Win2k to get you as far as the restore program.

Dantz Retrospect would probably be your best choice, in conjunction with a high capacity tape drive. Retrospect does have the ability to do complete system backups to tape.

http://www.dantz.com/

If you already have the hardware, you could download a 30 day trial. I've been using it for years, in a combined Windows and Mac environment, and its a very good (and easy to use) product.

Chris.
Sun 14/04/02 at 21:17
Regular
Does anyone know which method is best to back up an entire hard drive with Windows 2000 installed?

I want to be able to fully recover from a hard drive failure, so everything will have to be imaged.

I tried Norton Ghost 2000 but that really doesn't like Windows 2000, and when I tried it in DOS it wouldn't even find my hard drives.

Can anyone recommend a decent program that actually likes Win 2K?

Thanks

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.