GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Quake 3 Arena or Unreal Tournament?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 14/04/02 at 17:21
Regular
Ok
By UT i am not refering to the rip off, naff PS2 version. I mean the daddy (PC version).
Two of the greatest FPS of all time. Which one do u think is the best and why?
For me it has to be Unreal Tournament.
In my view it runs on a much better engine and has much better mods out for it at the mo.
Defence Alliance! Brilliant
Sun 14/04/02 at 17:21
Ok
By UT i am not refering to the rip off, naff PS2 version. I mean the daddy (PC version).
Two of the greatest FPS of all time. Which one do u think is the best and why?
For me it has to be Unreal Tournament.
In my view it runs on a much better engine and has much better mods out for it at the mo.
Defence Alliance! Brilliant
Sun 14/04/02 at 17:23
"slightlyshortertagl"
=Q3A
Sun 14/04/02 at 17:23
"slightlyshortertagl"
Q3A
Sun 14/04/02 at 18:49
Regular
"bing bang bong"
I prefer UT - the dual fire innovation, superbly balanced weapons, excellent graphics and the fact that I don't die the moment I materialise online works a treat for me :O)
Sun 14/04/02 at 18:54
Online games break my balls everytime I try playing 'em. as soon as the game starts you're dead, the guys who play these thing must be linked up to their computers or something, it's quite scary how quick the manage to shoot you.

They would be so much more fun if the people who played them actually managed ot go out occasionally instead of playing the game till their eyes bleed and getting so scarily good at them.
Sun 14/04/02 at 18:57
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
UT, I've always enjoyed playing it more...nice variation in levels, good weapons, sweet graphics and slightly less random than Q3s spawnfirefirefirefirefirediespawnrepeat gameplay...
Sun 14/04/02 at 19:01
Regular
"Sanity is for loser"
UT, because of great weapons, graphics and available Mods.

Its also actually fun to play.... :)
Sun 14/04/02 at 19:34
Regular
"Touched!"
UT for me, class game, good mods, and the weapons are better, especially the sniper rifle!
Sun 14/04/02 at 19:53
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Id have to say graphically, Q3 was stronger (well, kind of), but the gameplay in UT is much superior:
AI: The bots in UT don't say silly things like "Are we camping again [NAME]?"
They don't moan about camping, they remember the camping places and watch out for any suspicious big blobs in the darkness. If you tell them to do anything, they'll have a good go at achieving it too.

Weapons: All weapons in Q3 feel like 'toys', the shotgun has some comical recoil effects (mainly in the sounds. If you don't believe me, keep trying, and youll see them some day) which remind me of a sponge, for some reason. Most weapons are rocket-launcher orientated, eg, The plasma gun, I think its called, creates a spray of little things which feel like rockets, the BFG is just a super powerful rocketlauncher. The grenade launcher feels similar too.
In UT all the weapons differ somewhat; There is a railgun, for those who prefer long range power, and a sniper rifle, for defense, also using long range, but not really too effective in attacks. The rocket launcher was innovative, the ability to 'lock' onto specific targets, and launch up to 6 rockets at once, in eitehr a long line which spreads or a concentrated circle. The minigun was a weapon for both offense and defense, laying down hundereds of rounds of covering fire.

Graphics: This is where Q3 wins, the game is more attractive, and its engine also allows for some pretty impressive physics, however, look closely at UT and there are also some very good physics, but not as obvious as they are not in such an arcade-y style. The models, on Q3 are genreally better on the people, they looked better, but UT's were much more detailed. The UT first person gun models were also very nice, whereas Q3 FP guns looked like they could have been improved quite abit.

Gameplay: The gameplay in UT was much better, it was more varied, and didn't feel as much of a frantic deathmatch in all modes. CTF had you using tactics, co-ordinating attacks in both multi and single player to cripple enemy defense. UT also had Domination, Last Man Standing and a whole host of 'Mutators' (small MODS) to add small improvements to gameplay, and open up whole new game modes.

Ease Of Play For Newbies: Q3 definately wins this one, but hardcore gamers will get bored of it after a while, and move onto UT which has more veriety. So, in that respect, Q3 helped it's own demise.

UT easily wins overall. If you disagre, then perhaps you prefer an allout deathmatch to tactics, but I am someone who prefers to have to think to stay alive in fps's.
Sun 14/04/02 at 20:05
Regular
UT, simply the best....... Best mods, Best weapon nuff said :P

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.