GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Outgoing emails with images getting stuck?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 05/03/19 at 17:35
"Are you sure?"
Hi All,
I can't see anyone else having this problem, so thought I would mention it here in case others see it - but I think Twitter is more active for issues these days... I still blame the Steam Punk customer forum theme! :P

Nothing at my end has changed apart from the normal ongoing MS Updates, but I'm noticing emails with images pasted or attached are getting stuck in my Outlook Outbox. This is using MS Office 2010 on Windows 10 via a Freeola FTTC connection.

I have managed to get emails to send after about 30 minutes of resending. Outlook fails with a generic SMTP server not reachable error. This is via standard and EmailPro accounts.

Speed tests and IP Profile are all normal for my line.
Outgoing text messages and Word attachments seems fine.

Over the weekend I also failed to Tweet an image via my PC but my phone work (using same FTTC connection).
A strange one to me, it's as if just a certain type of traffic is being blocked.

I rebooted my router today but that didn't seem to change things - I haven't restarted the FTTC Openreach modem yet.

Has anyone any ideas?
I'll update if things change.
Hmmm...

Sun 21/04/19 at 11:07
"Are you sure?"
Just updating this for my own record, but it might help someone.
All had been working well since I last posted...

But yesterday I went to email a photo and found it was 'stuck' again.
Outlook eventually timing-out with 'problems reaching SMTP server'.

Up/Down throughput tests all good/normal.
Last W/Updates installed were around the 10th April. No more available ATM.

I remember reading a while back about IPv6 causing issues for some people, even though they aren't using v6.
So I tried removing IPv6 from my Ethernet adapter and it 'hung'. I ended doing a Windows Shutdown and it eventually shutdown but on startup it told me it wasn't a clean shutdown etc.

Looking at the adapter properties it had removed IPv6.
A quick test using Twitter to post an image - worked instantly!
Successfully emailed 2 photos (6MB) all seems normal.

It's probably not the IPv6 change that moved things on. I'm guessing things have got messed up perhaps after a power cut where the PC's crashed. But the last power cut was over a week ago and things were running fine till yesterday?!
So strange if something is corrupt that it raises it's head out of the blue.
Perhaps I'll have to look at removing/installing the network adapter if this returns.
Hmmm...

Post edited by Hmmm... on 21/04/2019 at 11:09.
Thu 07/03/19 at 13:46
"Are you sure?"
Thanks Eccles.
It was starting become a pain so I've spent more time on this today...
Another PC running all the same s/w (Windows Defender etc.) worked fine on ethernet only so that narrowed things down to my main machine.

It literally just looked like a problem with 'image' uploads. Tiny images 100k still causing the problem, but upload throughput and upload IP Profile all good. So it was a new one on me.

After bashing around in services.msc messing with the many networking related services (which have caused issues with W10 networking & shares before, until MS plug things with another update) and resetting network adapters I didn't seem to be getting anywhere and it's hard to say what's moved things on now.

W10 1809 showed as all up straight but I forced (Seekers) it to find updates (cumulative) and I think I'm back to normal after quite a few days of seeing this problem?!?

So I'm putting this down to Windows Update until something else turns up.
Hmmm...

Post edited by Hmmm... on 11/03/2019 at 10:11.
Thu 07/03/19 at 11:34
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Certainly a strange one. And AV software on the machine that treats each network connection differently? Try disabling t temporarily. I don't think we've had any complaints about this from any other customers I'm afraid.
Wed 06/03/19 at 17:42
"Are you sure?"
I know I'm talking to myself - but that's ok ;¬)

Just having another look at this as I can see something's still not right.
It looks like a local issue to me though.

Outgoing emails (the same for non-Freeola accounts) only with images and posting Twitter images are the only problems I'm seeing. The images are very small.

Other outgoing traffic including FTP is all ok.

My upload (and download) speeds are fine so it's not that.

I've just testing on a wifi connected laptop and that's all good. Switching my desktop to wifi seems to fix things! Switching to wifi does also change my network settings so more troubleshooting is required.

I've tried changing ports on the router in case they've gone 'bad' but no change - I'll test the ports using another device.
Stay tuned...
Hmmm...

Tue 05/03/19 at 17:35
"Are you sure?"
Hi All,
I can't see anyone else having this problem, so thought I would mention it here in case others see it - but I think Twitter is more active for issues these days... I still blame the Steam Punk customer forum theme! :P

Nothing at my end has changed apart from the normal ongoing MS Updates, but I'm noticing emails with images pasted or attached are getting stuck in my Outlook Outbox. This is using MS Office 2010 on Windows 10 via a Freeola FTTC connection.

I have managed to get emails to send after about 30 minutes of resending. Outlook fails with a generic SMTP server not reachable error. This is via standard and EmailPro accounts.

Speed tests and IP Profile are all normal for my line.
Outgoing text messages and Word attachments seems fine.

Over the weekend I also failed to Tweet an image via my PC but my phone work (using same FTTC connection).
A strange one to me, it's as if just a certain type of traffic is being blocked.

I rebooted my router today but that didn't seem to change things - I haven't restarted the FTTC Openreach modem yet.

Has anyone any ideas?
I'll update if things change.
Hmmm...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.