GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Dial-up facilities using VOIP (eg: Vonage) instead of using BT"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 30/06/18 at 16:00
Regular
"Become a veteran"
I have an ancient website that I only update twice a year using dial-up via my BT landline. It does not justify moving up to VIP status. BT are increasing their rates yet again and I would like to ditch them in favour of a VOIP-based method, such as Vonage for example. Can any kind person out there tell me please whether I would still be able to carry out the twice yearly update to my old web site if i switched to Vonage or something like?
I am grateful to you.
Aitch.
Mon 02/07/18 at 11:50
"Are you sure?"
Ah - I see now. Using VOIP for the Freeola dial-up connection!
Didn't see that before *blush*

Hmmm...
Mon 02/07/18 at 11:29
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Hi oldun,

While in theory it could work it's not something we would support. It's likely to be very flaky and jittery and the data rate would probably only reach 14.4k. You're welcome to try it with a cheap VoIP provider if you wish though.
Sat 30/06/18 at 19:42
"Are you sure?"
Hi - it sounds like you are only talking about changing your 'voice' service so I can't see how that would affect things.

I'm not familiar with Vonage - I take it you will still be connecting to Freeola via a landline? If that's right then it shouldn't change things.

NB. I've read elsewhere that the new way providers charge for 0845 numbers means that Freeola's cheap dialup costs more now as the provider takes their cut!

If you are going to VOIP for your phone have you thought about moving to Freeola's line rental and broadband?

Hopefully a staffie will be along to give you an official answer.
Hmmm...
Sat 30/06/18 at 16:00
Regular
"Become a veteran"
I have an ancient website that I only update twice a year using dial-up via my BT landline. It does not justify moving up to VIP status. BT are increasing their rates yet again and I would like to ditch them in favour of a VOIP-based method, such as Vonage for example. Can any kind person out there tell me please whether I would still be able to carry out the twice yearly update to my old web site if i switched to Vonage or something like?
I am grateful to you.
Aitch.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.