GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"WHOIS service could be changing due to GDPR..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 15/04/18 at 13:56
"Are you sure?"
Just bumped into a few different news items about the possible affects of GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) on the WHOIS service where you can display registration details.

Here's a piece on The Register: WHOIS is dead...

Interesting to see how things unfold.
Hmmm...

Post edited by Hmmm... on 15/04/2018 at 13:56.
Mon 11/06/18 at 08:50
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Yes that is a known 'issue'. Due to ICANN rules a WHOIS data reminder must be sent, but due to GDPR the WHOIS has to default to not disclose personal data so for now these email will still get sent until ICANN sort themselves out.
Sat 09/06/18 at 10:29
"Are you sure?"
I notice a knock-on of these changes is that the emails from 'getdotted - domainadmin' have been messed up as they all show protected.

WHOIS Data Confirmation for xxx .com

Dear Customer,
ICANN, the organization responsible for the stability of the Internet, requires that each domain name registrant be given the opportunity to correct any inaccurate contact data (WHOIS data) associated with a domain name registration. Our records for your domain are as follows:

Registrant Name: Data Protected Data Protected
Registrant Organization: Data Protected
Registrant Street:
Registrant City: Toronto

...If any of the information above is inaccurate, you should correct it. If all of the information above is accurate, you do not need to take any action.

Hmmm...

Post edited by Hmmm... on 09/06/2018 at 10:29.
Sun 27/05/18 at 11:26
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Yes, on the 25th they broke the WHOIS server completely for most of the day, which I suppose made it GDPR compliant! All back now though.
For gTLD's, upon registering a domain the registrant will now get an email directing them to the website where they can choose what details, if any, they wish to opt in to the WHOIS. Nominet domains will default to opted out and registrants can opt their name and address back in using the setting in their MyFreeola account. The whole situation between ICANN and the EU/GDPR is still a mess though. There is still a chance things could change again.
Fri 25/05/18 at 09:35
"Are you sure?"
It's GDPR day!

Looks like I was right about WHOIS having to change:

Temporary Specification for gTLD Registration Data
Effective as of 25 May 2018; Adopted on 17 May 2018 by ICANN Board Resolutions 2018.05.17.01 – 2018.05.17.09
https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/gtld-registration-data-specs-en

I see Freeola have put a note on their Status Page:
"WHOIS lookups are currently unavailable for gTLD domains managed by Get Dotted and Freeola. The registrar is currently working on bringing the service back online."

Hmmm...
Sun 15/04/18 at 13:56
"Are you sure?"
Just bumped into a few different news items about the possible affects of GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) on the WHOIS service where you can display registration details.

Here's a piece on The Register: WHOIS is dead...

Interesting to see how things unfold.
Hmmm...

Post edited by Hmmm... on 15/04/2018 at 13:56.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.