GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Splatoon 2 (Switch)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 07/08/17 at 11:30
"possibly impossible"
I loved Splatoon on Wii U but never really got as much playtime out of it as I thought I would. With the Switch being more portable and my youngest daughter now being more interested in playing it, Splatoon II looked as if it might change this.

The sequel to Nintendo's inky shooter is pretty much a game built on the same framework with a few added bells and whistles. The idea is the same; ink the landscape in your colour and shoot at the opposing team who are trying to do the same, all while using various ink-based weapons.

The paint aspect here, as in the first game, really sets this apart from other shooters in a way only Nintendo can do. It's not firing guns at other teams and managing bullets. it's firing blobs of ink that land everywhere and making sure you scoop up more ink (of your colour, of course) along the way while keeping off the enemies colour. Added to this, you can turn into a squid at any time to zoom across the landscape (as long as it has your colour ink on the floor) and under gates.

Turf War, the multiplayer mode, is back and pretty much the same great fun game as before but the new single player tasks you, as a newly recruited spy, with combating enemy squid creatures and rescuing stolen fish in a mode that owes as much to platforming games as shooters.

The third main mode is the excellent Salmon Run, a take on the now standard Horde Mode, where you and 3 others take on waves of enemy salmon and capture their golden eggs. It's excellent, but the maps are only available at certain times, which really causes an issue with being able to play when you want.

In fact the whole game suffers from the idea of map rotation with a lack of choice for playing maps online. Hopefully this will improve as new maps are introduced because the game itself is great fun, even in spite of Nintendo's odd ideas about multiplayer. It's also worth noting that voice chat and proper matchmaking needs to be done through Nintendo's Switch Mobile app rather than the console.

The only other missed opportunity here is that local multiplayer requires a Switch console for each player and there's no splitscreen. Honestly, this game is calling out for local single-screen play!

Overall, and despite its online faults, Splatoon II does exceed in being bigger and better than the first game and still remains the most original and fun shooter out there. It's a perfect addition to the Switch line-up.

9/10

Post edited by pb on 07/08/2017 at 11:34.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Mon 07/08/17 at 11:30
"possibly impossible"
I loved Splatoon on Wii U but never really got as much playtime out of it as I thought I would. With the Switch being more portable and my youngest daughter now being more interested in playing it, Splatoon II looked as if it might change this.

The sequel to Nintendo's inky shooter is pretty much a game built on the same framework with a few added bells and whistles. The idea is the same; ink the landscape in your colour and shoot at the opposing team who are trying to do the same, all while using various ink-based weapons.

The paint aspect here, as in the first game, really sets this apart from other shooters in a way only Nintendo can do. It's not firing guns at other teams and managing bullets. it's firing blobs of ink that land everywhere and making sure you scoop up more ink (of your colour, of course) along the way while keeping off the enemies colour. Added to this, you can turn into a squid at any time to zoom across the landscape (as long as it has your colour ink on the floor) and under gates.

Turf War, the multiplayer mode, is back and pretty much the same great fun game as before but the new single player tasks you, as a newly recruited spy, with combating enemy squid creatures and rescuing stolen fish in a mode that owes as much to platforming games as shooters.

The third main mode is the excellent Salmon Run, a take on the now standard Horde Mode, where you and 3 others take on waves of enemy salmon and capture their golden eggs. It's excellent, but the maps are only available at certain times, which really causes an issue with being able to play when you want.

In fact the whole game suffers from the idea of map rotation with a lack of choice for playing maps online. Hopefully this will improve as new maps are introduced because the game itself is great fun, even in spite of Nintendo's odd ideas about multiplayer. It's also worth noting that voice chat and proper matchmaking needs to be done through Nintendo's Switch Mobile app rather than the console.

The only other missed opportunity here is that local multiplayer requires a Switch console for each player and there's no splitscreen. Honestly, this game is calling out for local single-screen play!

Overall, and despite its online faults, Splatoon II does exceed in being bigger and better than the first game and still remains the most original and fun shooter out there. It's a perfect addition to the Switch line-up.

9/10

Post edited by pb on 07/08/2017 at 11:34.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.