GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Domain name renewals: Privacy details"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 27/07/17 at 12:26
"Are you sure?"
Hi - this isn't urgent so I thought I would use the forum rather than submit a support ticket.

When renewing domains I see an option for taking out Privacy and a box showing what information will be available to all via WHOIS.

For a co.uk I've just renewed it says the email address I use for my MyFreeola login will be shown. As far as I can see a WHOIS doesn't show an email address for co.uks? Am I missing something here?

NB. For TLDs that do show emails, I use a different address but this box always seems to show my MyFreeola login email account? Shouldn't this tie in with the address I used to register the domain? And is there an option to change the email account? I think a staffie did this manually for me in the past.

NB2. The Freeola Privacy page I link to above opens a 'popup' every time I visit it or refresh the page - after clicking the 'not interested' shouldn't a cookie stop this popup re-appearing?!

#Feedback
So many websites are going back to the 1990s with popup style interruptions - Freeola isn't a bad offender but I see recently there is more use of these techniques. Best not to follow the rest of the world on this slippery slope so to give visitors a better experience in my opinion :¬)

I hope this all makes sense - let me know.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 07/08/17 at 17:47
"Are you sure?"
Thanks.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 07/08/17 at 16:21
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
I have indeed put in a fixed for the WHOIS results that were only displaying the basic info.
Sun 06/08/17 at 18:18
"Are you sure?"

Eccles wrote:
... I'll certainly double check which ones we're querying for the different domain types though.

I saw this issue for a domain I was renewing, but as I've renewed 15+ Freeola domains since posting so I can't remember which one it was! ;¬)

I think things look better now using Freeola's WHOIS - can you let me know if you've changed things?

Thanks.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sat 29/07/17 at 00:17
"Are you sure?"
Thanks. Something's definitely changed (...in a bad way).

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 28/07/17 at 23:18
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Ah that could be a different between 'fat' and 'thin' WHOIS servers. For example, querying a .com may ask the Verisign WHOIS directly, which only holds the basic info, such as the registrar, status and expiry. Sometimes you have to query the registrar WHOIS as well, so for .com's registered through us you would get the full details be querying the Tucows/OpenSRS server, which is a 'thick’ server (gives more info). I'll certainly double check which ones we're querying for the different domain types though.
Fri 28/07/17 at 11:38
"Are you sure?"
Thanks Eccles.

I've just noticed that your WHOIS doesn't show full details for some domains?

i.e. Using Freeola to perform a WHOIS on a .com doesn't show the registrant's email or postal address which gives a false sense of protection!

Using another provider(!) to do the same WHOIS shows the complete details - email addresses and postal address etc.

I recently commented on your blog regarding privacy to use Freeola's WHOIS to check what data is available. Hopefully you will be able to fix this so Freeola's WHOIS shows the complete picture again?

Is this a glitch or how you've designed things? I notice a few things have recently changed in the domain registration/renewal web pages so may have been broken then?

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 27/07/17 at 21:12
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
The WHOIS details shown in the checkout are normally the ones we have on record for the domain. They are intended to show an example.of what may be visible in the WHOIS should the details not be masked by a privacy service. You are correct in saying that Nominet do not display registrant email addresses in the WHOIS. You can update the registrant email by sending in a ticket.
Popups are a marketing thing, I'll see if they want to make them a show once display.
Thu 27/07/17 at 12:26
"Are you sure?"
Hi - this isn't urgent so I thought I would use the forum rather than submit a support ticket.

When renewing domains I see an option for taking out Privacy and a box showing what information will be available to all via WHOIS.

For a co.uk I've just renewed it says the email address I use for my MyFreeola login will be shown. As far as I can see a WHOIS doesn't show an email address for co.uks? Am I missing something here?

NB. For TLDs that do show emails, I use a different address but this box always seems to show my MyFreeola login email account? Shouldn't this tie in with the address I used to register the domain? And is there an option to change the email account? I think a staffie did this manually for me in the past.

NB2. The Freeola Privacy page I link to above opens a 'popup' every time I visit it or refresh the page - after clicking the 'not interested' shouldn't a cookie stop this popup re-appearing?!

#Feedback
So many websites are going back to the 1990s with popup style interruptions - Freeola isn't a bad offender but I see recently there is more use of these techniques. Best not to follow the rest of the world on this slippery slope so to give visitors a better experience in my opinion :¬)

I hope this all makes sense - let me know.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.