GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Boss Bashing"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 14/04/02 at 10:58
Regular
I'd like to talk about Bosses.
No, not that sweaty spamhead who orders you about at work, but Bosses in videogames.
Isn't it about time they changed the bloody record?

I mean, good god in heaven above, they just bore me to tears!
And on many occasions have even reduced me to a blubbering wreck!
*Memories of Turok 2 come flooding back: (arrrgh that cartridge felt the full force of my stomping boot!)*
It doesn't even matter if they are well thought out, easy or hard, big or small: they still get on my nerves!

In almost every action/adventure you just know what's coming!
-Arrive at the end of the level, at the end of the area, and here it comes:
STOMP!
STOMP!
STOMP!
"Why, it's the tedious Boss battle! - I didn't know that was going to happen!"

The exits seal up!
Suddenly you're trapped in a contrived and oh-so convenient arena!
The music shifts to a dramatic beat!
A pretentious cut-scene reveals the Boss in all its terrible glory!

STOP!!!! - *drags the needle off the spinning record*

Haven't I been here before?
*Boss with hands on his hips says in a camp accent*: "Yes you have dear, about a thousand times before actually!"

Seriously though, something has got to be done about this repetitive and DATED concept!

Most Bosses either take numerous attempts to beat them until you finally suss out the usually pathetic solution - by which time you are just relieved that it's all over!
Or they are so easy you begin to wonder why you feared this evil force in the first place!

I no longer look foward to action/adventures.
Yes it's true!
My favourite genre is being strangled and corrupted by these recurring damned monstrosities known as Bosses!

It's high time game developers changed the record and thought of NEW and DIFFERENT ways to bring a level/area/game to an interesting finale instead of relying on the tired and cliched good old Boss formula!

Rant over.
Tue 16/04/02 at 11:07
Regular
"say hello to parsle"
I think boss battles have got worse over the years.

When you played a shoot-em-up such as Axelay on the Snes, it wouldn't feel right if there wasn't a huge death dealing robot at the end of each level. Games like Metroid, Zelda, Castlevania, Panzer Dragoon and light gun games such as Virtua Cop all had great boss battles. But now boss battles feel like they've just been thrown in to add variety to a game. When I took on several Metal Gear Ray's at the end of MGS2, It was sooo boring!

Good post by the way!
Mon 15/04/02 at 16:08
"Uzi Lover"
Bosses and video games...a bit of a traddition isn't it?

As games grew older and more advance, not just with graphics but storylines and gameplay we've seen bosses come and go. In some cases sad to see and in others a good thing.

Classic games characters such as Mario just couldn't have a game without a boss. In this case Bowser is essential. Whilst other newer games which use more original techniques to craft their plots use other methods and a boss just wouldn't fit in in some cases. But either way bosses are associated with evil and that subject is always a good one for a game. Good versus evil - classic.

I think it's pretty intresting to look at how the modern world has changed gaming plots and in this case bosses. The new modern world I am talking about is online gaming. Now WE are the bosses, WE are the enemy being hunted by the other gamers from around the world. Not only does this give games a diffrent view point but also it is improving that A.I we always love to put down and blame our bad playing on.

In the gaming world I feel bosses will keep their place, as there is and always will be a place for them in the industry. Look at films...still like many classic films we see vilians. Where would Star Wars be without its villains? Where would Batman be without the Joker etc? And as you meantioned, how about the Turoks enemy? Villians and bosses are alike, they play the same role and will be continured to be used through many methods.

There are also games where bosses are not needed like sport games and other genres. Now this is totally understandable as a boss just wouldn't fit in would it? But I feel these genres are the ones where you get your mates round for a play and laugh but I also feel that the online gaming concept could be an enourmous strength in these genres.

So there is a place for bosses in gaming forever, even with the threat of online play and other multiplayer mayhem using standard controllers. They bring a sense of evil and that makes a storyline. It's just a case of the right genre and luckily these bosses have their genres which they created in a sense along with the heros of their games and so they along with their genres will stay.
Mon 15/04/02 at 13:32
Regular
"bearded n dangerous"
Try Rez...

The bosses in that (while obviously at the end of each level) are a breath of fresh air in the trousers of boss designers the world over.
Mon 15/04/02 at 08:20
Regular
But how else can an action/adventure/RPG be brought to a dramatic end? Surely you have to face and defeat the daddy of the evil side (if you know what I mean)? I don't mind bosses as long as they are not totally stupid or painfully difficult to beat.
Sun 14/04/02 at 22:02
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
OH! How I pity the poor sods who are going to get Sonic 2 on the GC, and then go away thinking that it's a great game because they didn't play Sonic Adventure 1.

Ignoring the massive amounts of fast levels, and brilliance of the speed, the bosses in SA1 were brilliant. Massive monstrosities which were fairly varied for all SEVEN characters (each having between 3 and c.10 different bosses). Superb.

And then SA2 comes along with no real bosses. Litterally. The game was a complete void.

Sonic
Sun 14/04/02 at 16:55
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
What is it with Acclaim?!? Turok 2 and South Park were almost identical. Huge big boring level which were too hard and you couldn't get past the third level without any cheats. After that, both final bosses were IMPOSSIBLE to beat with no cheats on, they also kept regenerating and this just really annoyed me. It took me 20 minutes to beat the boss on South Park and what for. The most pathetic end scene ever! But then not as bad as Turok 2! I really don't get that company....
Sun 14/04/02 at 14:46
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Yeah, I agree that it is getting a bit lame and boring now, and it is blatantly obvious when a boss is near! But what else could they do really???

I think that the Zelda 64 games are good examples of this. At the end of each Temple you find the boss in a silent room. He'll usually suddenly appear there, along with dramatic music and his name across the screen. I kinda like it this way though, but it really is stupid when they're so simple to beat! All you have to do is repeat your moves 3 times with the sword while dodging his predictable attacks!

But what if they were to change these boss-encounters now??
It could have a bad effect on the games, and remove the elements of longevity and excitement from them.

I'm happy with them as they are, even though it does get annoying sometimes.
Sun 14/04/02 at 14:27
Regular
""ill be back ""
Hi m8 i was just wandering if you are THE GAME off of phantsay star online for dc cuz i miss t ya man lol its kane in case ya wandering email me at [email protected]
Sun 14/04/02 at 11:14
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
MGS2... the bosses didn't just come out of nowhere... they were well scripted, with excellent character design with a great variation among them. They came in at different times, and when you thought you'd killed one, he pops up again and again!

If you want an unpredictable game... buy MGS2 - it's worth buying a PS2 for.

What you have to remember is this.: Most adventure games are aimed at kids. Children like the build-up up to a boss battle, and the reason the music changes is because is gets your adrenaline going! The boss battles are done the way they are for a reason.

You do get games where bosses crop up here and there... like Metal Gear 2, Resident Evil and some other Survival Horrors.

Interesting topic.

Game
Sun 14/04/02 at 10:58
Regular
I'd like to talk about Bosses.
No, not that sweaty spamhead who orders you about at work, but Bosses in videogames.
Isn't it about time they changed the bloody record?

I mean, good god in heaven above, they just bore me to tears!
And on many occasions have even reduced me to a blubbering wreck!
*Memories of Turok 2 come flooding back: (arrrgh that cartridge felt the full force of my stomping boot!)*
It doesn't even matter if they are well thought out, easy or hard, big or small: they still get on my nerves!

In almost every action/adventure you just know what's coming!
-Arrive at the end of the level, at the end of the area, and here it comes:
STOMP!
STOMP!
STOMP!
"Why, it's the tedious Boss battle! - I didn't know that was going to happen!"

The exits seal up!
Suddenly you're trapped in a contrived and oh-so convenient arena!
The music shifts to a dramatic beat!
A pretentious cut-scene reveals the Boss in all its terrible glory!

STOP!!!! - *drags the needle off the spinning record*

Haven't I been here before?
*Boss with hands on his hips says in a camp accent*: "Yes you have dear, about a thousand times before actually!"

Seriously though, something has got to be done about this repetitive and DATED concept!

Most Bosses either take numerous attempts to beat them until you finally suss out the usually pathetic solution - by which time you are just relieved that it's all over!
Or they are so easy you begin to wonder why you feared this evil force in the first place!

I no longer look foward to action/adventures.
Yes it's true!
My favourite genre is being strangled and corrupted by these recurring damned monstrosities known as Bosses!

It's high time game developers changed the record and thought of NEW and DIFFERENT ways to bring a level/area/game to an interesting finale instead of relying on the tired and cliched good old Boss formula!

Rant over.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.