GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The monkey island series? Good or bad ?"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 13/04/02 at 21:38
Regular
I have been hearing alot about the monkey island series and how good it is! apparently it is the best adventure game ever made for pc! i talked off Redguard the elder scrolls adventures and people tell me well if u like that then youll love monkey island!? Is it really that good?
Someone please tell me the plot and how many actuall games are their in the series? I really want a decent adventure game!
Sat 13/04/02 at 21:38
Regular
"Its all me,me,me,me"
I have been hearing alot about the monkey island series and how good it is! apparently it is the best adventure game ever made for pc! i talked off Redguard the elder scrolls adventures and people tell me well if u like that then youll love monkey island!? Is it really that good?
Someone please tell me the plot and how many actuall games are their in the series? I really want a decent adventure game!
Sat 13/04/02 at 22:06
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
In the series there are 4 games, currently:
THe curse of monkey island
Monkey Island 2: Lechuck's revenge
Return to Monkey Island
Escape From Monkey Island
(although, not neccessarily in that order)
The plot is: You are Guybrush Threepwood (don't laugh), a pirate, I have only played the 4th one, but I think in the preceeding ones, he is trying to marry this other pirate, claled Elaine. In the 4th one, you do marry, at the start, and It comes back (from the honeymoon) and some people are trying to knock your house down. You need to go to all these islands and get some legal orders or somthing to prevent this. You encounter many amusing parts along the way, the best that comes to mind is when you are humorously framed for a bank robbery, the robber goes in and starts shouting, and on the way out, he makes sure they get the name 'Guybrush' and you can hear him saying things like "That's G.U.Y.B.R.U.S.H. T.H.R.E.E.P.W.O.O.D." just to make sure they can spell it.
Theres alot of potential playing time in it, and it is very funny, I would definately recommend the 4th one (Escape) and maybe the previous one to that, but I fear the first 2 will be far too old to be found, let alone played
Sat 13/04/02 at 22:39
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
The third one was probably the weaker of the four. The fourth was great but I felt the game ended a little quickly. The series is a lot of fun and the jokes are hilarious.
Sat 13/04/02 at 22:41
I think you can get the first three Monkey Island games as a multipack. The first two (The Secret of Monkey Island and Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge) obviously look quite dated now but are still very, very funny and to be honest I could quite happily go back and play them now, if it didn't mean digging out my old Amiga A1200...

The third, "The Curse Of Monkey Island" was released in 1997 and is more graphically acceptable today. The subsequent games, particularly the fourth, will make an awful lot more sense and, I suspect, be an awful lot funnier if you've played the others.

Special Reserve don't seem to stock the triple pack but I've definitely seen it in Game recently. Go on, spoil yourself!
Sat 13/04/02 at 22:42
Regular
I still think number 2 is the best.
Sat 13/04/02 at 22:53
Plot wise:

The Secret of Monkey Island:

Wannabe pirate Guybrush Threepwood washes aboard Melee Island. To prove his pirating worth he is forced to complete a trio of tasks that lead him to his future love Governor Elaine Marley and future nemesis the dread zombie pirate LeChuck. After LeChuck kidnaps Elaine to force her to marry him, Guybrush voyages to the near-mythical Monkey Island to rescue her.

Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge

Guybrush seeks to increase his pirate stock by learning the secret of the treasure of Big Whoop. However he crosses paths with Largo LaGrande on Scabb Island, henchmen of the now voodoo-powered reincarnated zombie pirate LeChuck. Guybrush's pursuit of the secret leads him to Phatt, Booty, and ultimately Dinky Island and another conflict with LeChuck.

The Curse of Monkey Island

Struggles slightly to pull the plot back together after the "Who Shot JR?"-esque conclusion to MI2. Guybrush asks Elaine to marry him, but unwittingly brings her under the curse of LeChuck's voodoo wedding ring, which turns her into a gold statue. Guybrush begins on Puerto Pollo, navigates to Blood Island and is captured by LeChuck and taken back to Monkey Island and the Carnival of the Damned (TM).

Escape From Monkey Island

Links heavily to the original game, revisiting Melee and Monkey Island. The now wedded Guybrush and Elaine fight against an Australian entrepeneur seeking to drive all pirates from the Caribbean. Unsurprisingly enough, he is merely a cover for a far worse evil in the shape of LeChuck.

This brief outline may make the series seem rather repetitive, but in fact they are very funny, and the similarities between them are used for hilariously funny ends. I recommend them all.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.