GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"VIP Hosting email gotcha"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 07/07/16 at 16:41
Regular
VIP Hosting comes with a number of email addresses as part of the package. We have a number of these set up on our site to forward to appropriate people. Unfortunately it appears that in order to be able to send from these email addresses we need to subscribe to the Email Pro package.

Apparently Email Pro is needed to be able to send through Freeeola SMTP servers. We can (and do) send email from the website, but can't connect from an email client. The fact that you need to pay extra to get this access (which most hosting companies include) is pretty buried away. We have no need for anything else from Email Pro.

I was a bit disappointed to discover this as it represents a 40% price add-on, and I may have to look around for alternatives.
Fri 08/07/16 at 19:53
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
NigelN wrote:
I think I've said all I want to say on this. It's entirely up to you whether you and Freeola take any notice of it.

After being a registered user for 3,636 Days ... it's logical that you should have realised what you were doing and paying for???
Fri 08/07/16 at 19:51
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
I think that all happy Freeola users raise their glasses and give Chas and Freeola a 'standing ovation'.
Fri 08/07/16 at 18:21
Regular
I think I've said all I want to say on this. It's entirely up to you whether you and Freeola take any notice of it.
Fri 08/07/16 at 17:26
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
NigelN wrote:
Well, I was just trying to withdraw gracefully, but if you want to continue the argument:

[i]"Unlimited Inboxes" are actually listed as part of owning a domain, not part of the VIP package. Please see the following link:
VIP Web Hosting

Ok - but I bought a domain as part of setting up the site. I regarded it as all part of the same package, but no matter. Strictly the mailboxes come with the domain, not the hosting. In either event I've paid for both services.

Additionally, as pointed out the inboxes available with a domain name are a legacy feature,..

Where does it say that? As far as I can interpret it, the getdotted.com front page lists 'Unlimited POP Mailboxes' as provided with 'Every domain hosted with us'.

With respect, I believe you have been making use of this legacy feature for some time, free of charge?

That is close to suggesting that I have been freeloading.

And with regard to the comparison to other ISP's, entirely relevant as we are an ISP.

Network providers don't provide non-users access to their SMTP severs as they can't authenticate them. Hosting providers don't have that issue. I don't buy network connectivity from you and not interested in doing so. I'm buying hosting where your competition are people like 123-reg, GoDaddy, etc. That's the relevant comparison.[/i]

"Unlimited POP boxes", quite right, NOT "unlimited email services".
Unless you look to the panel ON THAT VERY PAGE that gives the details of what we provide with "Freeola.com Internet" AS AN ISP.
And what earthly point would there be in us putting "this is a legacy feature" next to the "Unlimited POP Boxes" bit? It doesn't change anything, we still offer the service, and many of our customers finfd it useful.

No hint was ever made as to "freeloading", I merely pointed out that you, like countless other of our customers, have been using the features we provide, quite successfully, and for free for some time. You HAVE made use of a feature we chose to provide you with for free, and the fact that it now doesn't meet your changing needs seems to have caused you to take offense at the thought of having to pay a small sum for a suitable service.

What you appear to be suggesting is that somehow we should "differentiate" between customers depending on what services they choose to take from us; the services you choose to take from us do not change what we are as a company (an ISP).

Other ISP's do not offer email addresses without their internet services because they choose not to; there would be no profit in it for them unless they chose to charge you for it (same as we do), in fact it would cost them (same as it does us).

For your consideration:
until recently, our mail servers were provided, run and managed by the company we do our internet service through. This did not prevent us from providing a mail service to non-internet customers, we simply charged a nominal fee for it. We CHOSE recently to set up servers of our own in order to be able to provide a more versatile, stable, feature rich service. This did not cut costs, it did in fact increase them, but we felt it was beneficial to be able to provide the best service possible, and to be able to manage it ourselves.

Sky provide their mail service through Yahoo, previously Gmail. They choose to limit this to internet customers only as a cost consideration.
BT provide theirs through Gmail... same deal...

Also, if there's any doubt as to what our company is or does, take a look at freeola.com - front page; what do we show there? The majority of the information relates to us as an ISP. We're not hiding it, we don't attempt to mislead, our front page offers are prominently shown as lots of free stuff for Freeola internet customers.

I assume some confusion has come from our service pages and descriptions, hence why I have repeated several times that I am unsure where the confusion is. If you have a specific example of where we have in some way misled you, I'll happily pass it on to our marketing team.

Again, I intend no offence whatsoever, but your insistence that we are in some way being unfair simply has to be responded to.
Fri 08/07/16 at 16:44
Regular
Well, I was just trying to withdraw gracefully, but if you want to continue the argument:

"Unlimited Inboxes" are actually listed as part of owning a domain, not part of the VIP package. Please see the following link:
VIP Web Hosting

Ok - but I bought a domain as part of setting up the site. I regarded it as all part of the same package, but no matter. Strictly the mailboxes come with the domain, not the hosting. In either event I've paid for both services.

Additionally, as pointed out the inboxes available with a domain name are a legacy feature,..

Where does it say that? As far as I can interpret it, the getdotted.com front page lists 'Unlimited POP Mailboxes' as provided with 'Every domain hosted with us'.

With respect, I believe you have been making use of this legacy feature for some time, free of charge?

That is close to suggesting that I have been freeloading.

And with regard to the comparison to other ISP's, entirely relevant as we are an ISP.

Network providers don't provide non-users access to their SMTP severs as they can't authenticate them. Hosting providers don't have that issue. I don't buy network connectivity from you and not interested in doing so. I'm buying hosting where your competition are people like 123-reg, GoDaddy, etc. That's the relevant comparison.
Fri 08/07/16 at 14:12
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
NigelN wrote:
Well, I was just offering a customer perspective. Email addresses and mailboxes are listed as part of the package I pay for - however it is not made clear that there is no outbound mail facility.

The comparison with other network providers is not relevant. The other hosting provider I use offers mail addresses which are two way, as do both of the other hosting providers that I contacted.

However at least I now understand Freeola's position - thank you for your explanation.

"Unlimited Inboxes" are actually listed as part of owning a domain, not part of the VIP package. Please see the following link:
VIP Web Hosting

This page shows exactly what you get with VIP hosting (note that there is NO mention of email addresses, other than a link to EmailPro). Additionally, as pointed out the inboxes available with a domain name are a legacy feature, originally supplied when everyone was on dial up (indeed, you are still able to send from those addresses via dial up; we also still do dial up pay as you go...), a legacy feature we took the decision not to withdraw. With respect, I believe you have been making use of this legacy feature for some time, free of charge?

The suggestion seems to be that if we withdrew that legacy feature everything would somehow be clearer and fairer. From our perspective, while some of our customers find the feature useful, we are happy to provide it.

Again, I'm not sure where the confusion is. And with regard to the comparison to other ISP's, entirely relevant as we are an ISP.
Fri 08/07/16 at 13:07
Regular
Well, I was just offering a customer perspective. Email addresses and mailboxes are listed as part of the package I pay for - however it is not made clear that there is no outbound mail facility.

The comparison with other network providers is not relevant. The other hosting provider I use offers mail addresses which are two way, as do both of the other hosting providers that I contacted.

However at least I now understand Freeola's position - thank you for your explanation.
Thu 07/07/16 at 19:48
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
@NigelN

I suggest that you read Chas's reply and inwardly digest its contents ... what he says is true for the millionth time, at least!!
Thu 07/07/16 at 18:54
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
NigelN wrote:
VIP Hosting comes with a number of email addresses as part of the package. We have a number of these set up on our site to forward to appropriate people. Unfortunately it appears that in order to be able to send from these email addresses we need to subscribe to the Email Pro package.

Apparently Email Pro is needed to be able to send through Freeeola SMTP servers. We can (and do) send email from the website, but can't connect from an email client. The fact that you need to pay extra to get this access (which most hosting companies include) is pretty buried away. We have no need for anything else from Email Pro.

I was a bit disappointed to discover this as it represents a 40% price add-on, and I may have to look around for alternatives.

Again, I have answered this for you via a support ticket.

Your email addresses are NOT "part of the VIP package" at all. Email addresses are accessible for INCOMING mail for free with any domain, but the email service complete is ONLY accessible for free as part of an internet service, in EXACTLY the same way as any other ISP.

Sky, for example, do NOT allow non-Sky customers to have email addresses on their servers, nor do Virgin, BT, Plusnet....

The £2 charge is for us to provide EmailPro, as service ENTIRELY separate from the VIP service, NOT part of any web site hosting, NOT run on the same servers...

We DO NOT, nor have we EVER, offered an "all in one" package, other than our broadband service.
Thu 07/07/16 at 16:41
Regular

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.