GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"E3 Review - Thoughts on the shows"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 13/06/16 at 10:55
"possibly impossible"
E3 has come around once again, complete with more leaks than Titanic. So, as usual, I'm going to be providing my own thoughts and a round up of events on Freeola.

DAY 1 - SUNDAY

EA
----
EA started this year's E3 off with a bang on Sunday night, showing off the first live gameplay from Battlefield 1, out in October. The special guests were a little bizarre, including some who don't even like gaming and a rather stoned Snoop Dog. Still, it was great to see an early build of the game in action.

The game looks great and you can even take charge of airships, though they seem like pretty easy targets. Hopefully they'll change the announcer's voice at some point from the Cortana-esque current one.

Elsewhere, FIFA 17 gets a story mode (no one saw that coming!) and Star Wars gets a load of games, including a second Battlefront with story mode and a new Bioware Mass Effect-style game, plus a special VR experience for PS4.

Titanfall 2 looked interesting and had a single player mode, plus it will come to PS4 as well as Xbox and PC.

Mass Effect got a trailer, but not the one people were expecting. It was a behind the scenes video with a small teaser, which is a little bit of a let down after such a long wait.

Bethesda
-------------
Is 3am in the morning still technically day one? I'm not sure, but for the sake of argument and Atlantic time zones, it is.

Second on the list of E3 presentations was Bethesda, bringing more Fallout 4 content and a new Quake. Quake Champions looks like it's more Overwatch than Quake, though, so I'm not sure how fans will take that when we hear more details.

Skyrim gets an overhauled version for consoles and PC, with the PC getting the bonus of a free copy if you own the Steam version with all DLC.

Prey looks like it'll be a complete remake of the original strange shooter rather than a sequel. Again, it's all teasers at the moment though.

DAY 2 - MONDAY

Microsoft
-------------
A good mix of games and hardware, with the rumoured Scorpio console actually announced and immediately raising more questions than it answered. Built for 4K, it's still not obvious how much power it really has and if it really would cope with new games all at 4K/60fps. Of course, the biggest factor will be cost.

Game-wise, we had Gears 4 with an expected cameo and plenty of the usual shooting, gruff voices and soldier-in-an-alien-attack drama.

Forza Horizon 3, this time in Australia. complete with beaches, kangeroos and dangerous spiders in your glove compartment (probably), looks stunning. Not sure how the team can make a better looking game with each new Forza title.

Some new IPs with Recore, We Happy Few, Scalebound and Sea of Thieves. We Happy Few looks like the most unusual and interesting of the games on show, its unique art style and off-beat look at an alternate London could be a breath of fresh air. Sea of Thieves looks like it will provide a lot of pirating multi-player fun, too.

In addition, there was a 'buy a game on Xbox and get it for PC' system Play Anywhere, some new groupings to find games and gamers easier and the new Xbox One S, a slim version of the current Xbox One with 4K video..

PC Gamer Show
-----------------------
Lots of games, though not much new. Fallout 4 gets another major DLC with a Nuka Cola theme park, a vault builder and contraptions.

Dawn of War 3 provided some footage for RTS fans, Oxygen Not Included got a very short trailer, Giant Cop, the new VR game, looked hilarious. Talking of VR, one of my favourite games of this year, SUPERHOT, gets its own VR version.

AMD also showed off the other 2 members of the new graphics card hardware, Polaris.

Ubisoft
----------
Yet again featuring actress Aisha Tyler as host, Ubisoft quickly got on with...a dance off??! Yes, it was Just Dance again, but not for long.

Ghost Recon: Wildlands,got a nice looking trailer and it was interesting to see the different approach of working in a team but over a distance. Seems quite original, despite it's Ghost Recon origins.

South Part got a new games with The Fractured But Whole. Seems like they've made a few adjustments since The Stick of Truth and it's looking even better than that.

Star Trek Bridge Commander VR is Ubisoft's first foray into the big VR world. It looks quite impressive, too.

Trials of the Blood Dragon and Steep rounded things off, with the former being a new Trials game that features mad futuristic settings and aliens and the latter being a great mountainsport event similar to SSX but with base jumping and paragliding.

Sony
-------
Another late-nigher for UK audiences, the usual Sony slot is 2am UK time, but I brought the matchstick to keep my eyes open, anyway.

Sony's E3 was all games, they didn't touch on Neo, the code name for their next update to the PS4 with 4K support, and they only touched on VR to talk about the games.

But their show was a game footage frenzy, full of gameplay and announcing new IPs and eagerly awaited titles. For a change from last year, many of the games are due out this year and early next year, including The Last Guardian, which finally got a proper release date in October.

What else did we see? God of War's Kratos has a son and he seemed a little reluctant to follow his father in the hack and slash department, Kojima is as mad as ever, the announcement of his new game Death Stranding has Norman Reedus (Daryl from Walking Dead) on a beach with dead crabs and a non-existent baby (best not to ask). Insomniac have their hands on Spider-man for a Sony exclusive take on the character.

Call of Duty Infinite Warfare is most definitely going to divide people by the further footage of space-based combat on show.

Crash Bandicoot, the PS1 hero, is making a comeback, though it's mainly from remastering the 3 main PS1 games and an appearance in Skylanders.

Days Gone is an interesting biker vs zombies game, not much else known other than it has a similar vibe to Last of Us, which can't be a bad thing.
Fri 17/06/16 at 13:46
"possibly impossible"
dav2612 wrote:
Trials of the Blood Dragon caught my eye instantly so that was bought and downloaded right away. It really is simply bonkers and makes me smile often.

I like the look of Days Gone and Forza Horizon 3 can't come soon enough.

Think I'll pick up Trials as well.
Fri 17/06/16 at 13:36
Regular
"And in last place.."
Trials of the Blood Dragon caught my eye instantly so that was bought and downloaded right away. It really is simply bonkers and makes me smile often.

I like the look of Days Gone and Forza Horizon 3 can't come soon enough.
Tue 14/06/16 at 22:34
Regular
"I like turtles"
Ghost Killer wrote:
Titanfall 2 multiplayer trailer looked like great fun. Other than that both conferences felt pretty hollow overall.

That's the one that grabbed my attention as well, absolutely loved the original & have recently gone back to it. It's the most fun multiplayer FPS ever made IMO, fast, frantic and pretty much camper free. The single player campaign on the sequel is looking interesting too...

I'm also intrigued by the GoW4 multi-platform thing, think it could be really good. I would dearly love to taunt the PC brigade on here on how bad I'm going to hurt them on it but although I do enjoy a bit of GoW I'm actually mind blowingly crap at it! :/
Tue 14/06/16 at 13:16
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
chasfh wrote:

Remake it might be, but have you watched the trailer? seems to bear very little resemblence to the original, so I suspect that this is one of those reboots that's told from another character's perspective.

That's as good as a "Prey 2" in my book!

See what you mean ... no resemblence at all and who's Morgan?
Tue 14/06/16 at 12:21
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
DL wrote;
Have to agree with chas here ...

Shame that Prey may be a 'remake' ... why? Prey 2 was aborted wasn't it! Loved the original.

Remake it might be, but have you watched the trailer? seems to bear very little resemblence to the original, so I suspect that this is one of those reboots that's told from another character's perspective.

That's as good as a "Prey 2" in my book!
Mon 13/06/16 at 23:16
"possibly impossible"
DL wrote:
chasfh wrote:
[i]Dishonored 2, Quake and Prey, for heaven's sake!

Prey! Of all the unexpected games ever, this is one I've been hoping for. I absolutely adored the original, and a "reboot" can't be bad. As long as it keeps the gravity defying leaps and lunacy, I'll be happy...

Quake; Knew it'd happen, surprised that it's so soon after Doom.

Dishonored 2; enough with the teasers, just gimme!

Shame that Prey may be a 'remake' ... why? Prey 2 was aborted wasn't it! Loved the original.

Quake????

Doom hasn't exactly been Doom has it, even though a 2nd run through does help to get rid of the 'non Doom bits' quicker!!

What about Shadow Warrior 2? Flying Wild Hog have been recently involved in Hard Reset Redux ...

And as for Battlefront news ... keep it as news! Totally not interested any more, it's run its course and has now climbed the heavenly curtain to the great games graveyard ...

Now Battlefield 1 does look like a visit though.[/i]

I love Battlefront. I mean it's obviously not old Battlefront, but I still love it. You can get a game quickly, it's fun and not too deep and it looks great.
Mon 13/06/16 at 22:33
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
chasfh wrote:
Dishonored 2, Quake and Prey, for heaven's sake!

Prey! Of all the unexpected games ever, this is one I've been hoping for. I absolutely adored the original, and a "reboot" can't be bad. As long as it keeps the gravity defying leaps and lunacy, I'll be happy...

Quake????

Doom hasn't exactly been Doom has it, even though a 2nd run through does help to get rid of the 'non Doom bits' quicker!!

What about Shadow Warrior 2? Flying Wild Hog have been recently involved in Hard Reset Redux ...

And as for Battlefront news ... keep it as news! Totally not interested any more, it's run its course and has now climbed the heavenly curtain to the great games graveyard ...

Now Battlefield 1 does look like a visit though.
Mon 13/06/16 at 14:30
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Ghost Killer wrote:
Titanfall 2 multiplayer trailer looked like great fun. Other than that both conferences felt pretty hollow overall.

Whaaaa?! Hollow?!

Dishonored 2, Quake and Prey, for heaven's sake!

Three more major titles to get over-excited about as far as I'm concerned.

EA, well... I'll give you that one, they let their major cat out of the bag months ago. But then, that's nothing new for EA anyway.
Mon 13/06/16 at 13:48
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Mon 13/06/16 at 10:55
"possibly impossible"
E3 has come around once again, complete with more leaks than Titanic. So, as usual, I'm going to be providing my own thoughts and a round up of events on Freeola.

DAY 1 - SUNDAY

EA
----
EA started this year's E3 off with a bang on Sunday night, showing off the first live gameplay from Battlefield 1, out in October. The special guests were a little bizarre, including some who don't even like gaming and a rather stoned Snoop Dog. Still, it was great to see an early build of the game in action.

The game looks great and you can even take charge of airships, though they seem like pretty easy targets. Hopefully they'll change the announcer's voice at some point from the Cortana-esque current one.

Elsewhere, FIFA 17 gets a story mode (no one saw that coming!) and Star Wars gets a load of games, including a second Battlefront with story mode and a new Bioware Mass Effect-style game, plus a special VR experience for PS4.

Titanfall 2 looked interesting and had a single player mode, plus it will come to PS4 as well as Xbox and PC.

Mass Effect got a trailer, but not the one people were expecting. It was a behind the scenes video with a small teaser, which is a little bit of a let down after such a long wait.

Bethesda
-------------
Is 3am in the morning still technically day one? I'm not sure, but for the sake of argument and Atlantic time zones, it is.

Second on the list of E3 presentations was Bethesda, bringing more Fallout 4 content and a new Quake. Quake Champions looks like it's more Overwatch than Quake, though, so I'm not sure how fans will take that when we hear more details.

Skyrim gets an overhauled version for consoles and PC, with the PC getting the bonus of a free copy if you own the Steam version with all DLC.

Prey looks like it'll be a complete remake of the original strange shooter rather than a sequel. Again, it's all teasers at the moment though.

DAY 2 - MONDAY

Microsoft
-------------
A good mix of games and hardware, with the rumoured Scorpio console actually announced and immediately raising more questions than it answered. Built for 4K, it's still not obvious how much power it really has and if it really would cope with new games all at 4K/60fps. Of course, the biggest factor will be cost.

Game-wise, we had Gears 4 with an expected cameo and plenty of the usual shooting, gruff voices and soldier-in-an-alien-attack drama.

Forza Horizon 3, this time in Australia. complete with beaches, kangeroos and dangerous spiders in your glove compartment (probably), looks stunning. Not sure how the team can make a better looking game with each new Forza title.

Some new IPs with Recore, We Happy Few, Scalebound and Sea of Thieves. We Happy Few looks like the most unusual and interesting of the games on show, its unique art style and off-beat look at an alternate London could be a breath of fresh air. Sea of Thieves looks like it will provide a lot of pirating multi-player fun, too.

In addition, there was a 'buy a game on Xbox and get it for PC' system Play Anywhere, some new groupings to find games and gamers easier and the new Xbox One S, a slim version of the current Xbox One with 4K video..

PC Gamer Show
-----------------------
Lots of games, though not much new. Fallout 4 gets another major DLC with a Nuka Cola theme park, a vault builder and contraptions.

Dawn of War 3 provided some footage for RTS fans, Oxygen Not Included got a very short trailer, Giant Cop, the new VR game, looked hilarious. Talking of VR, one of my favourite games of this year, SUPERHOT, gets its own VR version.

AMD also showed off the other 2 members of the new graphics card hardware, Polaris.

Ubisoft
----------
Yet again featuring actress Aisha Tyler as host, Ubisoft quickly got on with...a dance off??! Yes, it was Just Dance again, but not for long.

Ghost Recon: Wildlands,got a nice looking trailer and it was interesting to see the different approach of working in a team but over a distance. Seems quite original, despite it's Ghost Recon origins.

South Part got a new games with The Fractured But Whole. Seems like they've made a few adjustments since The Stick of Truth and it's looking even better than that.

Star Trek Bridge Commander VR is Ubisoft's first foray into the big VR world. It looks quite impressive, too.

Trials of the Blood Dragon and Steep rounded things off, with the former being a new Trials game that features mad futuristic settings and aliens and the latter being a great mountainsport event similar to SSX but with base jumping and paragliding.

Sony
-------
Another late-nigher for UK audiences, the usual Sony slot is 2am UK time, but I brought the matchstick to keep my eyes open, anyway.

Sony's E3 was all games, they didn't touch on Neo, the code name for their next update to the PS4 with 4K support, and they only touched on VR to talk about the games.

But their show was a game footage frenzy, full of gameplay and announcing new IPs and eagerly awaited titles. For a change from last year, many of the games are due out this year and early next year, including The Last Guardian, which finally got a proper release date in October.

What else did we see? God of War's Kratos has a son and he seemed a little reluctant to follow his father in the hack and slash department, Kojima is as mad as ever, the announcement of his new game Death Stranding has Norman Reedus (Daryl from Walking Dead) on a beach with dead crabs and a non-existent baby (best not to ask). Insomniac have their hands on Spider-man for a Sony exclusive take on the character.

Call of Duty Infinite Warfare is most definitely going to divide people by the further footage of space-based combat on show.

Crash Bandicoot, the PS1 hero, is making a comeback, though it's mainly from remastering the 3 main PS1 games and an appearance in Skylanders.

Days Gone is an interesting biker vs zombies game, not much else known other than it has a similar vibe to Last of Us, which can't be a bad thing.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.