GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Dial up"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 24/05/16 at 16:40
Regular
Anybody had problems using the Freeola dial up number recently? I've just moved house and changed phone lines from VirginMedia to BT. Since moving house, I've only managed to connect twice using my dial up modem but otherwise I just keep getting the error message 678 which says "the remote computer did not respond". I've tried dialling via the PC and via the laptop. BT is charging me for each of these calls (I've looked at my online bill) and I can hear the modem sounds after it has dialled the number (handshake sounds?). It just seems that the Freeola server is not responding - any ideas whether this is something to do with my BT line?
I have multiple domains with Freeola and don't really want to upgrade to VIP hosting which would run to 50 quid a year for each one when a lot of the domains don't need much updating.
Next week I will be back in my previous house and will take the laptop and modem. If it works from there, then maybe that would prove the problem is linked to the BT line here.
I've tried all the obvious things (disabling firewall, antivirus, reinstalling modem drivers, etc.) as suggested by Freeola Support. Can't work out what could have changed from the 2 brief times when I successfully got an FTP connection and the other 50 times when I've not been able to connect!
Tue 24/05/16 at 16:56
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Just to be clear, there's no "Freeola server" as such, we provide the dial up number which connects via (possibly!) the only remaining dial up provider in the country.

Most often, the kind of issues you are seeing are related to line problems or settings (such as masking your number), or may be related to local telecoms traffic.

Not really a vast amount that can go wrong with the dial up service from our end, and in general we'd know if there was something as we still have a fair few customers using the service (they'd all be complaining!)...
Tue 24/05/16 at 16:40
Regular
Anybody had problems using the Freeola dial up number recently? I've just moved house and changed phone lines from VirginMedia to BT. Since moving house, I've only managed to connect twice using my dial up modem but otherwise I just keep getting the error message 678 which says "the remote computer did not respond". I've tried dialling via the PC and via the laptop. BT is charging me for each of these calls (I've looked at my online bill) and I can hear the modem sounds after it has dialled the number (handshake sounds?). It just seems that the Freeola server is not responding - any ideas whether this is something to do with my BT line?
I have multiple domains with Freeola and don't really want to upgrade to VIP hosting which would run to 50 quid a year for each one when a lot of the domains don't need much updating.
Next week I will be back in my previous house and will take the laptop and modem. If it works from there, then maybe that would prove the problem is linked to the BT line here.
I've tried all the obvious things (disabling firewall, antivirus, reinstalling modem drivers, etc.) as suggested by Freeola Support. Can't work out what could have changed from the 2 brief times when I successfully got an FTP connection and the other 50 times when I've not been able to connect!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.