GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Dying Light"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 05/04/16 at 18:18
Regular
"And in last place.."
If gaming is to be believed them a zombie apocalypse is coming to wipe out humanity. It is a good job then that Dying Light is here to teach us all how to survive.

The story in Dying Light is pretty typical of the theme. The residents of Harran are mostly undead flesh eaters, there might be a cure, the government agency can't be trusted and you're in the middle of it all trying to do the right thing as well as survive.

You control Kyle Crane, who, like pretty much the entire cast in the game, doesn't have much of a personality. But this is all about survival so on with the lessons.

Lesson 1: Run
I failed this class spectacularly. You see, whilst Dying Light is not a sequel to Dead Island, it comes from the same developer and is certainly made from the same building blocks. Dead Island felt like a zombie clobbering holiday in a tropical island. A bit over confident from my holiday in the sun, I approached my city break in Harran in much the same way. Before I checked into my hotel I had a weapon in hand and I clobbered the first zombie I came across. My mischievous giggle didn't last long and I was overwhelmed by the undead before I had a chance to finish off my prey.

In the early days, well, pretty much all day, every day, it is best to avoid the zombies as much as possible and just leg it to safety. You do feel ill equipped for a while which, intentional or not, does heighten the sense of it being a battle to survive.

Lesson 2: Zombies Are Everywhere – Run
It doesn't take long before you realise the extent of the apocalypse. Harran was clearly a busy place and it is also clear that most of the population are not what they once were. There is seldom a safe spot to be found. On the streets, in the sewers, on the roofs, they are everywhere and they are all desperate to meet you.

If you ever think you are alone then believe me, you are not.

Lesson 3: Zombies Are Curious – Run
You may get brave when you find a solitary zombie. There are no other biters around so what's the harm in taking out your frustrations? See lesson 2 for a start. That solitary zombie has only been separated from the rest of its crew momentarily and all it takes is a bit of a scuffle or noise to alert the others. They may be brain dead for all intents and purposes but they have a phenomenal awareness. Dish out a battering to one zombie and the others will come to see what all the fuss is about. Refer to my mistake in lesson 1, it really doesn't take long to be surrounded and overwhelmed. And then eaten.

Lesson 4: Zombies Can Take Quite a Battering – Run
Never underestimate your enemy. Clobber a zombie over the head with a metal pipe and it staggers back. You might be expecting it to collapse in a heap and never move a again. Wrong. Kick the zombie and it doubles over as if in pain. Kick it again from behind and you expect it to fall over but no, they have remarkable balance at times too.

You can get a zombie to the ground and start pummeling it but it can take a lot of punishment before you kill it. A surprising amount of punishment which then brings lessons 1 – 3 into play again.

Lesson 5: You Have No Stamina – Stop Running and Climb
Swinging weapons is quite exhausting and will drain your stamina which also affects your ability to run. Thankfully your stamina recharges quicker than it takes a can of popular energy drink to make you grow wings. However, that moment while your stamina recharges is all a zombie needs.

Your stamina lasts longer when running but it isn't infinite which means it is time to take your training to the next level, literally.

Climbing is the answer to your survival prayers. Look at a ledge of any sort, jump and you'll be able to climb up and out of harms way. Well chances are you are only marginally safer – see Lesson 2.

You can incorporate the climbing with a run for some parkour antics. You will see ramps to help you reach a roof top or help you get over a wall. It always looks much better to do this in a nice fluid and swift movement and it increases your chances of survival. Running also increases your chances of making a mess of things and getting a face full of wall and then eaten alive rather than reaching your intended destination.

The parkour is a life saver but is can be so easy to get wrong until you master it. To help you master it or to at least show you how far you are away from mastering it, there are some parkour challenges. These are optional timed based events which will definitely challenge your abilities.

Lesson 6: Weapons Appear to be Cheap Imports – Run
There is no shortage of weaponry available. We have metal pipes, planks of wood and all manner of bladed items. See lesson 4, you will need to use your weapon a lot to take down a zombie and the lifespan of your average zombie exterminating weapon is surprisingly poor; don't get attached to a weapon.

But as I said, you should never find yourself without a weapon but if you do then please refer to lesson 1.

Weapons can be repaired a finite number of times. The repairs require metal parts and it is remarkable how many people just had little boxes of metal parts lying around their houses.

Lesson 7: The Class Before Failed and Are Running and Climbing Zombies – Panic
By now you might be starting to feel a little less anxious round the zombies, well don't. Not all students pass the course and some get quite far. Naturally these failures are now zombies but a very fast and agile type of zombie. They announce there arrival with a screech to unsettled you; it works a treat. Then they will give chase. They can climb everywhere you can so and will be hot on your tail so whatever your escape plan is, get it right.

A personal favourite of your tutor is a swift kick from the roof top just as they the pursuer is about to join you.

The other trouble with this type of zombie is that they can dodge your attacks. Did I not mention you can also dodge? Well that is because dodging is of no use when you are surrounded and the lessons up until now where to keep your zombie interaction to a minimum.

You will quickly realise this class of zombie is a right pain in the.... anyway, onto the next lesson.

Lesson 8: Zombies Can't Swim – Get a Rubber Ring and Relax
There is safety to be found in the lakes and rivers as zombies cannot swim. There might even be some goodies to be found under the surface so get diving. Of course, it is going to get a little boring staying out in the lakes, safe but boring.

Lesson 9: Get a Safehouse – Stay there Forever
There are various safe houses scattered about Harran, well, they aren't safe until you make them that way. Once you have made them safe you can relax knowing that they will be zombie free forever.

The safe house is good for more than just space to get away from zombies. A good sleep can replenish your health and you can store things in the bag to save up some inventory space for when you next venture out. The bag is really quite magic as you will find the items you placed in there in each safe house. If only you could climb in and be teleported from safe house to safe house.

Lesson 10: Be Nice – Help Others Whilst Running
There are many other people who are trying to survive and they need your help too. A good citizen doesn't just pay attention to the story missions and there are many, many good deeds to be done out and about in Harran.

Now you may see the value in many of these side quests but others are less obvious. You will often question why you should risk your neck to collect something trivial for someone you have only just met. You may also groan when you find that many of these seemingly pointless quests are on the furthest away point from your current position. But there is something reassuring about being eaten by a zombie knowing full well you were only trying to help someone have a cup of coffee.

Of course, these people tend to be grateful and that can lead to rewards. And what is the point of a good deed if there is no reward at the end?

Some of these humans will open up survival challenges similar to the parkour. These are challenging but come with good rewards should you pass.

Lesson 11: Not All Humans Are Friendly – Run
A valuable lesson this one. Don't just blindly go up and introduce yourself to any human as some of them are likely to attack you. You will soon learn the types to avoid until you are ready to tackle them. Of course, your flesh eating friends can help you eradicate the pests but remember they are just as likely to eat you.

These other humans tend to be well armed and well trained but they also tend to be guarding some valuable items so you you will definitely want to cross paths at some point.

Lesson 12: Pickup Everything and Build Things
Like climbing and running, this is a lifeline. You need to pick up weapons and parts to repair weapons. You will also be able to pick up all manner of items which can be crafted into upgrades for weapons, health kits or some tools to use you your advantage.

Weapon upgrades include aspects for more damage such as adding a little burn or an electric charge, or improvements to the durability. The tools you can have at your disposal make like much more interesting. A fire cracker for instance attracts the attention of zombies and this can be used to clear a path. But throw a fire cracker into an oil spill and you get some toasted zombies. If there happens to be an oil drum near by then things go BOOM but see lesson 3 for the downside.

There are also all manner of traps and spikes out and about which you can use to deal with the zombie menace.

Lesson 13: Level Up and Become Brave
Everything you do in the game rewards you with experience points. Each time you level up you get to choose a new ability from the skill tree. This is when things become a bit easier. Remember those stubborn zombies that just won't die easily, well there is nothing like a crushing stomp on the head to speed things up. And that troublesome stamina, well that can be boosted too.

There are a lot of useful abilities so it is well worth doing as much as you can to get all the reward points to level up.

Lesson 14: Its Dark Outside – Stay Indoors
When night approaches then it is best to head to that safe house, get in bed and read a book before dozing off. But wait a minute, reward points are double at night. You have a torch which comes in handy but also attracts attention but by this point in the course you should be fine. Oh, I almost forgot, night time is when the volatiles come out to play. These are bigger, faster, angrier and give chase in numbers if they clock you out and about. Refer to lesson 1.

Graduation
Congratulations, you have passed the course and should be well equipped to survive in Harran. For a short while at least. Good luck.

There is a lot to do out there and it is challenging so pay close attention to the lessons. The story and characters and relatively forgettable, the side quests more so but the constant battle to survive makes it interesting. The game does tend to get harder as your abilities progress but you should be better prepared by that point.

Dying Light does feel like it could do with some silly over the top fun in there but it keeps things relatively serious which does tend to fit with the survival theme. I have completed the story and all of the side quests in almost 39 hours so it is definitely a time sink. The trouble with a game that long is that it can get repetitive and as much as I have enjoyed my time with it, I was ready for it to end.

Mon 11/04/16 at 18:53
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Nice review dav :ŽD
Mon 11/04/16 at 11:41
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Made me smile a bit... I did actually spend about 20 minutes bouncing up and down around a pylon (in the game, not for real!) trying to encourage my character to climb.

Not helped at all by an incessant stream of indestructable zombies being attracted by my pogo-ing that i had to... yes, you guessed it, I had to run away from them.

Glad it's not just me that found the climbing mechanic rather sucky...
Mon 11/04/16 at 11:27
Regular
"And in last place.."
chasfh wrote:
Yeah...

Not sure I'll bother with the expansions. Adding further barriers to completion probably won't help me like the game more.

I do completely understand your grips and can't really counter them. I enjoyed Dying Light after I accepted it for what it is i.e. not Dead Island as we have both found.The Following on the other hand, I grew to absolutely hate. It seemed to focus on the niggles I had in Dying Light and increase them.

The free running worked well once you got the hang of it but the climbing has always been awful. Sure you can climb a building but try a rock face or an electricity pylon. I nearly threw in the (blood soaked) towel on 2 missions because it simply would not let me climb... look at ledge, his arm is out, he is ready, here we go... and drops to his death.

The zombies that chased were always annoying but they seemed to appear in greater numbers each and every time I stopped to loot a car. It just wasn't worth stopping so I spent a lot of time with a damaged car. And of course, the chasers in The Following are all Usain Bolt so if your car isn't fully working then they catch you, climb on and pummel you. Being allowed to hit them off seemed totally random which meant I was usually forced to crash to throw them off, which didn't go down well with the already not working very well buggy.

The explosive zombies were littered on the road. Part of the final mission in a race against time. There is an explosive zombie on the train carriage but not to worry, I'm going at speed and I'll plough through it... DEAD. Tried again... DEAD. Swore lots and took a different route. I pretty much could not get anywhere in my buggy without losing health. And sometimes a lot of health.

The buggy should have released the element of OTT fun that was missing in the main game but in fact it did the opposite.

I died 171 times in 50 hours and I imagine most of that was in The Following.

I completed the story in The Following but not all of the side quests as I simply never want to see another zombie again.
Mon 11/04/16 at 10:49
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Yeah...

Not sure I'll bother with the expansions. Adding further barriers to completion probably won't help me like the game more.

I know all games of this type are pretty much "do objective, rinse, repeat" but at least other survival games have had a stab at keeping the missions fresh; I really didn't feel like Dying Light even tried.

Run...
Run some more...
Throw some firecrackers and run...
Climb a pole, flick a switch, run...
Fiddle with a car, run...
Just run...

The complete ineffectiveness of any attack on a zombie was my big issue with the game though. Even the hugely promoted and lauded "environmental" attacks were completely pointless, and besides, that particular feature has been done better and more effectively (Bioshock for example, or even Far Cry).

The free- running was cool, but quite honestly it soon became apparent that this was THE be- all and end- all of the game. Mostly due to the useless nature of a wooden table leg or bit o' lead pipe, and the complete lack of ammo.

I did think that maybe when I got some blueprints for new weapons I might get further, but no; electric pipe? zombies sparkle when you hit them... and then get up again... meaning it achieved nothing...

I wanted Dead island with free- running. Not what I got...
Mon 11/04/16 at 09:48
Regular
"And in last place.."
chasfh wrote:
I admire your persistence...

That persistence has been well and truly battered by The Following expansion. I hated it by the end. I found it harder than the main game and having to look for parts and fuel for your buggy is just not fun, especially when you get assaulted by the local zombie gang if you happen to stop.
Fri 08/04/16 at 13:07
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
I admire your persistence...

Mine is pretty much limited to starting again, getting 4- 5 hours in, getting bored/ pig sick of dying/ not having any supplies/ not progressing/ not seeing anything different/ running away some more.

Any why the hell is everything so brown??

Bizarre as it seems, I do keep trying it, I really, really wanted to like this game as much as I did Dead island...
Thu 07/04/16 at 14:11
Regular
"And in last place.."
pb wrote:
Love the review format, Dav.

Thanks pb. A bit Zombieland but it seemed rather suitable.
Thu 07/04/16 at 11:50
"possibly impossible"
Love the review format, Dav.
Tue 05/04/16 at 18:18
Regular
"And in last place.."
If gaming is to be believed them a zombie apocalypse is coming to wipe out humanity. It is a good job then that Dying Light is here to teach us all how to survive.

The story in Dying Light is pretty typical of the theme. The residents of Harran are mostly undead flesh eaters, there might be a cure, the government agency can't be trusted and you're in the middle of it all trying to do the right thing as well as survive.

You control Kyle Crane, who, like pretty much the entire cast in the game, doesn't have much of a personality. But this is all about survival so on with the lessons.

Lesson 1: Run
I failed this class spectacularly. You see, whilst Dying Light is not a sequel to Dead Island, it comes from the same developer and is certainly made from the same building blocks. Dead Island felt like a zombie clobbering holiday in a tropical island. A bit over confident from my holiday in the sun, I approached my city break in Harran in much the same way. Before I checked into my hotel I had a weapon in hand and I clobbered the first zombie I came across. My mischievous giggle didn't last long and I was overwhelmed by the undead before I had a chance to finish off my prey.

In the early days, well, pretty much all day, every day, it is best to avoid the zombies as much as possible and just leg it to safety. You do feel ill equipped for a while which, intentional or not, does heighten the sense of it being a battle to survive.

Lesson 2: Zombies Are Everywhere – Run
It doesn't take long before you realise the extent of the apocalypse. Harran was clearly a busy place and it is also clear that most of the population are not what they once were. There is seldom a safe spot to be found. On the streets, in the sewers, on the roofs, they are everywhere and they are all desperate to meet you.

If you ever think you are alone then believe me, you are not.

Lesson 3: Zombies Are Curious – Run
You may get brave when you find a solitary zombie. There are no other biters around so what's the harm in taking out your frustrations? See lesson 2 for a start. That solitary zombie has only been separated from the rest of its crew momentarily and all it takes is a bit of a scuffle or noise to alert the others. They may be brain dead for all intents and purposes but they have a phenomenal awareness. Dish out a battering to one zombie and the others will come to see what all the fuss is about. Refer to my mistake in lesson 1, it really doesn't take long to be surrounded and overwhelmed. And then eaten.

Lesson 4: Zombies Can Take Quite a Battering – Run
Never underestimate your enemy. Clobber a zombie over the head with a metal pipe and it staggers back. You might be expecting it to collapse in a heap and never move a again. Wrong. Kick the zombie and it doubles over as if in pain. Kick it again from behind and you expect it to fall over but no, they have remarkable balance at times too.

You can get a zombie to the ground and start pummeling it but it can take a lot of punishment before you kill it. A surprising amount of punishment which then brings lessons 1 – 3 into play again.

Lesson 5: You Have No Stamina – Stop Running and Climb
Swinging weapons is quite exhausting and will drain your stamina which also affects your ability to run. Thankfully your stamina recharges quicker than it takes a can of popular energy drink to make you grow wings. However, that moment while your stamina recharges is all a zombie needs.

Your stamina lasts longer when running but it isn't infinite which means it is time to take your training to the next level, literally.

Climbing is the answer to your survival prayers. Look at a ledge of any sort, jump and you'll be able to climb up and out of harms way. Well chances are you are only marginally safer – see Lesson 2.

You can incorporate the climbing with a run for some parkour antics. You will see ramps to help you reach a roof top or help you get over a wall. It always looks much better to do this in a nice fluid and swift movement and it increases your chances of survival. Running also increases your chances of making a mess of things and getting a face full of wall and then eaten alive rather than reaching your intended destination.

The parkour is a life saver but is can be so easy to get wrong until you master it. To help you master it or to at least show you how far you are away from mastering it, there are some parkour challenges. These are optional timed based events which will definitely challenge your abilities.

Lesson 6: Weapons Appear to be Cheap Imports – Run
There is no shortage of weaponry available. We have metal pipes, planks of wood and all manner of bladed items. See lesson 4, you will need to use your weapon a lot to take down a zombie and the lifespan of your average zombie exterminating weapon is surprisingly poor; don't get attached to a weapon.

But as I said, you should never find yourself without a weapon but if you do then please refer to lesson 1.

Weapons can be repaired a finite number of times. The repairs require metal parts and it is remarkable how many people just had little boxes of metal parts lying around their houses.

Lesson 7: The Class Before Failed and Are Running and Climbing Zombies – Panic
By now you might be starting to feel a little less anxious round the zombies, well don't. Not all students pass the course and some get quite far. Naturally these failures are now zombies but a very fast and agile type of zombie. They announce there arrival with a screech to unsettled you; it works a treat. Then they will give chase. They can climb everywhere you can so and will be hot on your tail so whatever your escape plan is, get it right.

A personal favourite of your tutor is a swift kick from the roof top just as they the pursuer is about to join you.

The other trouble with this type of zombie is that they can dodge your attacks. Did I not mention you can also dodge? Well that is because dodging is of no use when you are surrounded and the lessons up until now where to keep your zombie interaction to a minimum.

You will quickly realise this class of zombie is a right pain in the.... anyway, onto the next lesson.

Lesson 8: Zombies Can't Swim – Get a Rubber Ring and Relax
There is safety to be found in the lakes and rivers as zombies cannot swim. There might even be some goodies to be found under the surface so get diving. Of course, it is going to get a little boring staying out in the lakes, safe but boring.

Lesson 9: Get a Safehouse – Stay there Forever
There are various safe houses scattered about Harran, well, they aren't safe until you make them that way. Once you have made them safe you can relax knowing that they will be zombie free forever.

The safe house is good for more than just space to get away from zombies. A good sleep can replenish your health and you can store things in the bag to save up some inventory space for when you next venture out. The bag is really quite magic as you will find the items you placed in there in each safe house. If only you could climb in and be teleported from safe house to safe house.

Lesson 10: Be Nice – Help Others Whilst Running
There are many other people who are trying to survive and they need your help too. A good citizen doesn't just pay attention to the story missions and there are many, many good deeds to be done out and about in Harran.

Now you may see the value in many of these side quests but others are less obvious. You will often question why you should risk your neck to collect something trivial for someone you have only just met. You may also groan when you find that many of these seemingly pointless quests are on the furthest away point from your current position. But there is something reassuring about being eaten by a zombie knowing full well you were only trying to help someone have a cup of coffee.

Of course, these people tend to be grateful and that can lead to rewards. And what is the point of a good deed if there is no reward at the end?

Some of these humans will open up survival challenges similar to the parkour. These are challenging but come with good rewards should you pass.

Lesson 11: Not All Humans Are Friendly – Run
A valuable lesson this one. Don't just blindly go up and introduce yourself to any human as some of them are likely to attack you. You will soon learn the types to avoid until you are ready to tackle them. Of course, your flesh eating friends can help you eradicate the pests but remember they are just as likely to eat you.

These other humans tend to be well armed and well trained but they also tend to be guarding some valuable items so you you will definitely want to cross paths at some point.

Lesson 12: Pickup Everything and Build Things
Like climbing and running, this is a lifeline. You need to pick up weapons and parts to repair weapons. You will also be able to pick up all manner of items which can be crafted into upgrades for weapons, health kits or some tools to use you your advantage.

Weapon upgrades include aspects for more damage such as adding a little burn or an electric charge, or improvements to the durability. The tools you can have at your disposal make like much more interesting. A fire cracker for instance attracts the attention of zombies and this can be used to clear a path. But throw a fire cracker into an oil spill and you get some toasted zombies. If there happens to be an oil drum near by then things go BOOM but see lesson 3 for the downside.

There are also all manner of traps and spikes out and about which you can use to deal with the zombie menace.

Lesson 13: Level Up and Become Brave
Everything you do in the game rewards you with experience points. Each time you level up you get to choose a new ability from the skill tree. This is when things become a bit easier. Remember those stubborn zombies that just won't die easily, well there is nothing like a crushing stomp on the head to speed things up. And that troublesome stamina, well that can be boosted too.

There are a lot of useful abilities so it is well worth doing as much as you can to get all the reward points to level up.

Lesson 14: Its Dark Outside – Stay Indoors
When night approaches then it is best to head to that safe house, get in bed and read a book before dozing off. But wait a minute, reward points are double at night. You have a torch which comes in handy but also attracts attention but by this point in the course you should be fine. Oh, I almost forgot, night time is when the volatiles come out to play. These are bigger, faster, angrier and give chase in numbers if they clock you out and about. Refer to lesson 1.

Graduation
Congratulations, you have passed the course and should be well equipped to survive in Harran. For a short while at least. Good luck.

There is a lot to do out there and it is challenging so pay close attention to the lessons. The story and characters and relatively forgettable, the side quests more so but the constant battle to survive makes it interesting. The game does tend to get harder as your abilities progress but you should be better prepared by that point.

Dying Light does feel like it could do with some silly over the top fun in there but it keeps things relatively serious which does tend to fit with the survival theme. I have completed the story and all of the side quests in almost 39 hours so it is definitely a time sink. The trouble with a game that long is that it can get repetitive and as much as I have enjoyed my time with it, I was ready for it to end.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.