GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Delayed?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 13/04/02 at 01:15
Regular
Delayed, it is a word I find myself reading more and more these days in the gaming world. Nine times out of ten it is usually games that are delayed, peripherals and consoles etc make up the other one.
So why are games delayed?
Well the way I see things is there are a few reasons.

First up is probably the simple one - It just ain't ready.
You don't go to the toilet if you don't need and you don't release a game unless you have got one that is ready. Well that is usually the case but as we all know there are a few games that get released that could have done with a bit more time in the development stage. To me this is a reasonable reason not to release a game, after all it isn't going to be worth our money to buy an incomplete product is it?
The Getaway for the PS2 comes to mind here, due out near Christmas - it is now April and still it looks quite a way off. Originally it was hailed as being great and now we are told that early screen were artistic impressions and it will not be out for a while. I myself just hope it is as good as we all hope (well the PS2 owners out there at least :-) )
I don't like seeing games rushed, so if they are not ready then they shouldn't be released but I do think that planning when a game will be released should be thoughtout more to avoid the word "Delayed" being seen for months before the game finally arrives.

The next reason I thought of was - Time to market
A lot of the time developers will hold back from releasing a game or release it early to either avoid competition from a similar game or to be in the shops before a similar game which could be competition in terms of sales with their game. This annoys me a bit, sure the industry is worth millions and developers spend a lot making the games and try to make as much profit from games as they can so that they can improve and get better but one thing always comes to my mind when I think of this. Games like Tetris, Mario, Sonic etc I see as classic games, they weren't cleverly marketed or released at important times they were well designed and developed. Developers should learn that if you design and develop it well then it sells itself no matter when you release it. In saying that though there are certain times that marketing a game is very beneficial to developers, for example, the run up to christmas and not at the same time as games that are likely to be a huge success. But still is it fair on us for them to say delayed judt because they want to wait until the time is right for them to maximise their sales?
Well I say yes and no, yes because it is their product. They made it and therefore should release it when they see fit. I also say no because as a Gamer I do feel annoyed and a bit disapointed with a developer when you realise that they are holding back on releasing a game for marketing reasons and waiting until they know they will make more cash.

So why do we see the word delayed so much? I would have thought by now that developers would realise how long it takes for an average game to be developed then maybe add a bit of extra time on and use that to plan a release date, maybe then we wouldn't be waiting so long with the only information we seem to recieve being "Delayed".

I'll keep this short and end it here, firstly because I need bed and secondly because it is the only way I can get people to read my posts. Please read it and post your views.
Sat 13/04/02 at 01:15
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Delayed, it is a word I find myself reading more and more these days in the gaming world. Nine times out of ten it is usually games that are delayed, peripherals and consoles etc make up the other one.
So why are games delayed?
Well the way I see things is there are a few reasons.

First up is probably the simple one - It just ain't ready.
You don't go to the toilet if you don't need and you don't release a game unless you have got one that is ready. Well that is usually the case but as we all know there are a few games that get released that could have done with a bit more time in the development stage. To me this is a reasonable reason not to release a game, after all it isn't going to be worth our money to buy an incomplete product is it?
The Getaway for the PS2 comes to mind here, due out near Christmas - it is now April and still it looks quite a way off. Originally it was hailed as being great and now we are told that early screen were artistic impressions and it will not be out for a while. I myself just hope it is as good as we all hope (well the PS2 owners out there at least :-) )
I don't like seeing games rushed, so if they are not ready then they shouldn't be released but I do think that planning when a game will be released should be thoughtout more to avoid the word "Delayed" being seen for months before the game finally arrives.

The next reason I thought of was - Time to market
A lot of the time developers will hold back from releasing a game or release it early to either avoid competition from a similar game or to be in the shops before a similar game which could be competition in terms of sales with their game. This annoys me a bit, sure the industry is worth millions and developers spend a lot making the games and try to make as much profit from games as they can so that they can improve and get better but one thing always comes to my mind when I think of this. Games like Tetris, Mario, Sonic etc I see as classic games, they weren't cleverly marketed or released at important times they were well designed and developed. Developers should learn that if you design and develop it well then it sells itself no matter when you release it. In saying that though there are certain times that marketing a game is very beneficial to developers, for example, the run up to christmas and not at the same time as games that are likely to be a huge success. But still is it fair on us for them to say delayed judt because they want to wait until the time is right for them to maximise their sales?
Well I say yes and no, yes because it is their product. They made it and therefore should release it when they see fit. I also say no because as a Gamer I do feel annoyed and a bit disapointed with a developer when you realise that they are holding back on releasing a game for marketing reasons and waiting until they know they will make more cash.

So why do we see the word delayed so much? I would have thought by now that developers would realise how long it takes for an average game to be developed then maybe add a bit of extra time on and use that to plan a release date, maybe then we wouldn't be waiting so long with the only information we seem to recieve being "Delayed".

I'll keep this short and end it here, firstly because I need bed and secondly because it is the only way I can get people to read my posts. Please read it and post your views.
Sat 13/04/02 at 16:29
Regular
It seems to me that developers release detailed information about their forthcoming games way too soon - probably in attempt to drum up some interest.
They give the impression that a certain game is nearly finished when in fact it's only in the middle stages of development.
I've stopped looking at release dates because it's just a lucky dip as to which ones will make it on time and which ones will be delayed.
Sat 13/04/02 at 17:47
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I hate it when games are delayed, Especially if its a game you've been looking forward to for months. What really annoys me though is when a game gets delayed only a week from the origanal release date.

Take Hitman 2 for example. The game looked set to be released in March, but a couple of weeks before its release Eidos delayed the game until sometime later this year. I'm just glad its not my most wanted game at the moment because that would have really peed me off.
Sat 13/04/02 at 21:05
Regular
"Link to the Future"
Sometimes delays in games are good things, it's still irritating though.
Mon 15/04/02 at 17:22
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I hate delays!! With consoles mainly, i'm not usually all that bothered if a game's been set-back a few months.

I see game-delays as a good thing because it gives you a chance to enjoy the games you've already got to their full potential, and you also have more time to save up more money, so you can buy more with just the one game you are awaiting.

But I have to admit, when you are desperately awaiting a new game's arrival and it is suddenly delayed, it's not a nice feeling!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.