GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ali G in da house, the review!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 13/04/02 at 00:40
Regular
Hmmm I did smile a few times at this film, and some people actually laughed. But overall this film struck me as the most lazy, obnoxious Brit flick since Guest House Paradiso, I exited the cinema feeling disappointed and angry that I paid to get in when I could have seen lord of the rings again.

Sacha Baron Cohen's Ali G was an inspired creation for TV; I chortled at his entertainingly rude interview with the Beckhams, which skilfully managed to be insulting and affectionate at the same time. Although since, the central joke has become over-stretched but I can still see why it won a BAFTA.

Ali G is based on a smartly observed reality- that many young whites make pitiful attempts at being as cool as the stereotypical afrocarribean youth, which many black people find embarrassing. Cohens writing as Ali G has always shown a shrewd appreciation of what is wrong with black street culture: Its sexism, guns and glorification of gang warfare as well as its celebration of crass ignorance.

To make the successful leap from TV to big screen I feel that Ali's character would have to be further developed and a creditable world created around him. This has not happened and instead we are presented with what appears to be the filmmakers showing contempt for the audience.

Rather than build on its satirical genius the writer have merely stuck together a series of half baked sketches which must have been put together by someone with attention deficit disorder, even at an hour and a half it feels spread out to over 4 times what it should be.

I feel that perhaps Cohen has started to misunderstand his own creation, after swearing on the Sarah Cox breakfast show it seems like the monster has devoured its creator.

The film is nothing more than a crude and foul look at bestiality, sodomy, incontinence, bullying, sexual harassment, armed violence and drug abuse. Any Irony that Cohen once intended is now lost. He has instead tried to make the comedy as ugly, loutish and revolting as possible. This is lazy, especially from a Cambridge graduate.

The films political awareness is akin with that of a 10 year old, which may not be so bad if it weren’t for the fact it is an integral part of the script, well what there is of it! We are forced to entertain the notion that Ali has entered parliament as a standard MP (joke in itself). And from there on has risen up the ranks to cabinet status and saving the prime minister from an insane plot that the chancellor of the exchequer is trying to kill him.

The quality of the screenplay and directing is viciously amateurish even in comparison to the American gross out movies.

The vast majority of people who went to see said film would find it offensive, should they be so unwise to go and watch it. However offending is of course its intention, as well as making those uneducated delinquents who go to view it feel cool and trendy. The jokes about the sexuality of the queen, John Major and Margaret Thatcher would be utterly offensive if they weren’t so pathetic.

The laughter this film generates is not from a clever witticism but the rugged bullies identifying with the scenario of kicking in the poor fat boy who talks too posh. It may be thought hilarious by those too think, drunk or stoned to realise that they are being patronised, and by a small minority of middle class snobs trying to show how much in touch they are with the "street" culture.

I despair at this film, it is a real turkey, but I didn’t come out feeling merry.
Sat 13/04/02 at 00:40
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Hmmm I did smile a few times at this film, and some people actually laughed. But overall this film struck me as the most lazy, obnoxious Brit flick since Guest House Paradiso, I exited the cinema feeling disappointed and angry that I paid to get in when I could have seen lord of the rings again.

Sacha Baron Cohen's Ali G was an inspired creation for TV; I chortled at his entertainingly rude interview with the Beckhams, which skilfully managed to be insulting and affectionate at the same time. Although since, the central joke has become over-stretched but I can still see why it won a BAFTA.

Ali G is based on a smartly observed reality- that many young whites make pitiful attempts at being as cool as the stereotypical afrocarribean youth, which many black people find embarrassing. Cohens writing as Ali G has always shown a shrewd appreciation of what is wrong with black street culture: Its sexism, guns and glorification of gang warfare as well as its celebration of crass ignorance.

To make the successful leap from TV to big screen I feel that Ali's character would have to be further developed and a creditable world created around him. This has not happened and instead we are presented with what appears to be the filmmakers showing contempt for the audience.

Rather than build on its satirical genius the writer have merely stuck together a series of half baked sketches which must have been put together by someone with attention deficit disorder, even at an hour and a half it feels spread out to over 4 times what it should be.

I feel that perhaps Cohen has started to misunderstand his own creation, after swearing on the Sarah Cox breakfast show it seems like the monster has devoured its creator.

The film is nothing more than a crude and foul look at bestiality, sodomy, incontinence, bullying, sexual harassment, armed violence and drug abuse. Any Irony that Cohen once intended is now lost. He has instead tried to make the comedy as ugly, loutish and revolting as possible. This is lazy, especially from a Cambridge graduate.

The films political awareness is akin with that of a 10 year old, which may not be so bad if it weren’t for the fact it is an integral part of the script, well what there is of it! We are forced to entertain the notion that Ali has entered parliament as a standard MP (joke in itself). And from there on has risen up the ranks to cabinet status and saving the prime minister from an insane plot that the chancellor of the exchequer is trying to kill him.

The quality of the screenplay and directing is viciously amateurish even in comparison to the American gross out movies.

The vast majority of people who went to see said film would find it offensive, should they be so unwise to go and watch it. However offending is of course its intention, as well as making those uneducated delinquents who go to view it feel cool and trendy. The jokes about the sexuality of the queen, John Major and Margaret Thatcher would be utterly offensive if they weren’t so pathetic.

The laughter this film generates is not from a clever witticism but the rugged bullies identifying with the scenario of kicking in the poor fat boy who talks too posh. It may be thought hilarious by those too think, drunk or stoned to realise that they are being patronised, and by a small minority of middle class snobs trying to show how much in touch they are with the "street" culture.

I despair at this film, it is a real turkey, but I didn’t come out feeling merry.
Sat 13/04/02 at 12:39
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
cookie monster wrote:
It may be thought hilarious by those
> too think, drunk or stoned to realise that they are being patronised,
> and by a small minority of middle class snobs trying to show how much
> in touch they are with the "street" culture.

Well, when I saw it I wasn't drunk, I wasn't stoned, I certainly wasn't showing how in touch I was with street culture and I don't consider myself thick, but I still enjoyed it. I knew before-hand that it wasn't his usual clever TV stuff, but it was still funny. Just because it was different and more 'stupid', doesn't mean it is automatically crap.

It was just a laugh with a couple of mates. It never tried to provoke ANY thought among the audience, it was just supposed to be laughed at.

If you went to see it naturally expecting to see his usual witty stuff, then you could argue that you're the dumb one. You didn't read anything into the film before going to see it. At least look at a review in the paper so you know what to expect.

There are plenty of completely stupid comedies which I'm sure you like. Just because they didn't come from more 'intelligent' TV shows, you like them. Just try to enjoy Ali G as one of those types of films, and you will. Enjoy it whilst constantly thinking of his TV stuff and you won't.

Now go suck a horse! :-D
Sat 13/04/02 at 22:14
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
I think the best way to review a film is to go in with no preconceptions about its content. But come on the film was crap.
Sun 14/04/02 at 10:42
Regular
"Brrrrr."
cookie monster wrote:
> Hmmm I did smile a few times at this film, and some people actually
> laughed. But overall this film struck me as the most lazy, obnoxious
> Brit flick since Guest House Paradiso, I exited the cinema feeling
> disappointed and angry that I paid to get in when I could have seen
> lord of the rings again.

What? 'Guest House Paridiso' was quite good! My mum wants to see Ali G indahouse!
Sun 14/04/02 at 10:43
Regular
"Brrrrr."
I haven't seen Ali G Indahouse yet because I am too short to pass as 15!

FLAMING HELL!!!!
Sun 14/04/02 at 11:06
cookie monster wrote:
> Hmmm I did smile a few times at this film, and some people actually
> laughed. But overall this film struck me as the most lazy, obnoxious
> Brit flick since Guest House Paradiso,

- haven't seen the film myself and to be honest I prob won't as Ali G is starting to bore me. Watched him on Parkie last night - boring!

Funny u should mention Guest House Paradiso - I really like Rik Maysll and Ade, I also enjoy Steve Coogan, however, their ventures onto the big screen haven't (in my opinion) been successful - very poor efforts. (Coogans new one may be worth a gander!). You could even go back to Morecombe and Wise fims - not the best!

Top TV comedy actors/characters don't necessarily succeed in the movies, so I wouldn't be surprised if what you say about the new Ali G film is true!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.