GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Free Radical Design"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 13/04/02 at 00:23
Regular
I Like Goldeneye, probably the most stupid pointless thing I’ve said in a long time WHO DOESN’T LIKE GOLDENEYE? Now I believe that Perfect Dark has surpassed Goldeneye ten fold but there is something special about Goldeneye that is so lacking in its sequel. Now I can put this down to the absence of a few (well loads) of the original Goldeneye team and by heck I will. When the Playstation 2 have something good I never say it, I never claim a good game is rubbish unless I really think so but if there is a good PS2 title then I keep quite (except for GTA3 that is outstanding). Now early in the Playstation 2’s life there was a game I liked A LOT! Now I didn’t like Tekken very much at all but there was a certain game by Free Radical Design that I did I am of course referring to Timesplitters. Now Free Radical Design are those people who left RARE, although I hated them for doing such I thing I am also incredibly thankful as a game such as Timesplitters would never have been made if they stuck with RARE. Now I don’t know why they left RARE but I presumed they didn’t want to stick with Nintendo, this worried me as the chances of Timesplitters getting a Gamecube release had just go lower and to lower it even still their publisher was Eidos, a company that has never really made a Nintendo home console game, the fact is the N64 and Gamecube are the only systems not to have a Tomb Raider game (I don’t know about the X-box) and so I presumed I wouldn’t be getting Timesplitters.

And so I didn’t like the game anymore, instead of pointing out what was right about it I commented on its flaws. This game is graphically poor (It had its own style to be honest), it takes AGES to load (but it was worth it), you die too quickly in multiplayer (your supposed too), it is just a matter of getting from A-B (true but dispatching your enemies is different all the time e.g. for skeletons you must remove the head) and there is no story in story mode (doesn’t stop it being fun). Free Radical Design is the name of the company and Free Radical Design are exactly that, this is a company filled with people who have changed the face of First Person shooters with Goldeneye by completely revolutionizing the genre and guess what? Timesplitters does it again. Yes Red Faction lets you blow up walls, yes Turok has dinosaurs in it, yes Halo lets you drive a tank, yes Metroid lets you roll into a ball but does any of them let you run around an arena with a gun killing humans with duck heads in a mode called Duck Hunt? Thought not. Free Radical Design have no holds barred on the Timesplitters games, this is no simple First Person Shooter, as it is as they say radical! Also one feature I was very impressed with is that it allows you to build your own deathmatch area, what a great idea, David Doak you have done yourself proud once again.

So when it is announced that Timesplitters 2, the much-anticipated sequel is heading to Gamecube my jaw drops open, Final Fantasy, oh please this is much much bigger. Although the significance in the announcement comes in the form of an Eidos game on the Gamecube this doesn’t matter to me, it is Timesplitters 2 on the Gamecube. Made by the most insane but brilliant company of them all! I really cannot wait for this title as it is made by the kings of FPS. Metroid does look like a nice game, nice new fresh ideas that is set to be a new great game, Turok Evolution may finally be a Turok game that is hard to fault, Perfect Dark 0 well to be honest I haven’t the foggiest what this will be like, Die Hard looks nice but nothing too special, Agent Under Fire and Phoenix Rising again good but these Bond titles don’t offer more than an enjoyable title for a month or two. These are all major Gamecube First Person Shooters but none of them in my mind will be quite like Timesplitters. The list I just gave you will borrow ideas heavily from each other but Timesplitters is in a league of its own, you’ll never play a game quite like Timesplitters! The ideas injected into this game are quite frankly weird, and they work so well, the idea of facing an army of undead robot things that only die if you shoot them directly in the head is highly original and challenging, something first person shooters never really required to such a degree, accuracy.

Personally I believe Free Radical Design are the 3rd party Nintendo just much more obvious. Nintendo have a fat Italian plumber saves a princess, trapped in her own castle by a giant scaly green dinosaur that talks, a castle that floats on a cloud, that has doors locked by stars, and stars are found in paintings that open up into another world, you can also find talking mushrooms and caps that turn you metal. Right now seeing it like that you can begin to realize that Nintendo aren’t quite right in the head, a speeding Hedgehog makes sense as they are opposites but a fat Italian plumber doesn’t. Now somehow Nintendo make you feel at home with this crazy psycho mushroom filled orgy. Now Timesplitters is the same, equally as insane and pointless but incredibly enjoyable as well. But on to Eidos, why all of a sudden the change of heart? Do they see the Gamecube as a prime place to have First Person Shooters; of course the Cube wasn’t around when the first one was released. Could it be partly to do with the new developers initiative to stop Sony charging too much? Or maybe it has more to do with Free Radical Design themselves, a company that has worked along side Nintendo before and with rumors suggesting they want to include Perfect Dark’s face mapping idea into the game maybe it is because they intend to use the future Gameboy Advance Camera, just a thought.

I’m putting my money on Timesplitters 2 beating the competition on the Gamecube, whilst Turok is looking good, Metroid is looking better than good, Perfect Dark preparing to set new standards and Die Hard trying to match Goldeneye along with the other Bond licenses I feel that I will find the greater satisfaction with Timesplitters 2 as it is the most different and enjoyable First Person Shooter of them all.

Here’s to the Future

Dringo.
Sat 13/04/02 at 00:23
Regular
I Like Goldeneye, probably the most stupid pointless thing I’ve said in a long time WHO DOESN’T LIKE GOLDENEYE? Now I believe that Perfect Dark has surpassed Goldeneye ten fold but there is something special about Goldeneye that is so lacking in its sequel. Now I can put this down to the absence of a few (well loads) of the original Goldeneye team and by heck I will. When the Playstation 2 have something good I never say it, I never claim a good game is rubbish unless I really think so but if there is a good PS2 title then I keep quite (except for GTA3 that is outstanding). Now early in the Playstation 2’s life there was a game I liked A LOT! Now I didn’t like Tekken very much at all but there was a certain game by Free Radical Design that I did I am of course referring to Timesplitters. Now Free Radical Design are those people who left RARE, although I hated them for doing such I thing I am also incredibly thankful as a game such as Timesplitters would never have been made if they stuck with RARE. Now I don’t know why they left RARE but I presumed they didn’t want to stick with Nintendo, this worried me as the chances of Timesplitters getting a Gamecube release had just go lower and to lower it even still their publisher was Eidos, a company that has never really made a Nintendo home console game, the fact is the N64 and Gamecube are the only systems not to have a Tomb Raider game (I don’t know about the X-box) and so I presumed I wouldn’t be getting Timesplitters.

And so I didn’t like the game anymore, instead of pointing out what was right about it I commented on its flaws. This game is graphically poor (It had its own style to be honest), it takes AGES to load (but it was worth it), you die too quickly in multiplayer (your supposed too), it is just a matter of getting from A-B (true but dispatching your enemies is different all the time e.g. for skeletons you must remove the head) and there is no story in story mode (doesn’t stop it being fun). Free Radical Design is the name of the company and Free Radical Design are exactly that, this is a company filled with people who have changed the face of First Person shooters with Goldeneye by completely revolutionizing the genre and guess what? Timesplitters does it again. Yes Red Faction lets you blow up walls, yes Turok has dinosaurs in it, yes Halo lets you drive a tank, yes Metroid lets you roll into a ball but does any of them let you run around an arena with a gun killing humans with duck heads in a mode called Duck Hunt? Thought not. Free Radical Design have no holds barred on the Timesplitters games, this is no simple First Person Shooter, as it is as they say radical! Also one feature I was very impressed with is that it allows you to build your own deathmatch area, what a great idea, David Doak you have done yourself proud once again.

So when it is announced that Timesplitters 2, the much-anticipated sequel is heading to Gamecube my jaw drops open, Final Fantasy, oh please this is much much bigger. Although the significance in the announcement comes in the form of an Eidos game on the Gamecube this doesn’t matter to me, it is Timesplitters 2 on the Gamecube. Made by the most insane but brilliant company of them all! I really cannot wait for this title as it is made by the kings of FPS. Metroid does look like a nice game, nice new fresh ideas that is set to be a new great game, Turok Evolution may finally be a Turok game that is hard to fault, Perfect Dark 0 well to be honest I haven’t the foggiest what this will be like, Die Hard looks nice but nothing too special, Agent Under Fire and Phoenix Rising again good but these Bond titles don’t offer more than an enjoyable title for a month or two. These are all major Gamecube First Person Shooters but none of them in my mind will be quite like Timesplitters. The list I just gave you will borrow ideas heavily from each other but Timesplitters is in a league of its own, you’ll never play a game quite like Timesplitters! The ideas injected into this game are quite frankly weird, and they work so well, the idea of facing an army of undead robot things that only die if you shoot them directly in the head is highly original and challenging, something first person shooters never really required to such a degree, accuracy.

Personally I believe Free Radical Design are the 3rd party Nintendo just much more obvious. Nintendo have a fat Italian plumber saves a princess, trapped in her own castle by a giant scaly green dinosaur that talks, a castle that floats on a cloud, that has doors locked by stars, and stars are found in paintings that open up into another world, you can also find talking mushrooms and caps that turn you metal. Right now seeing it like that you can begin to realize that Nintendo aren’t quite right in the head, a speeding Hedgehog makes sense as they are opposites but a fat Italian plumber doesn’t. Now somehow Nintendo make you feel at home with this crazy psycho mushroom filled orgy. Now Timesplitters is the same, equally as insane and pointless but incredibly enjoyable as well. But on to Eidos, why all of a sudden the change of heart? Do they see the Gamecube as a prime place to have First Person Shooters; of course the Cube wasn’t around when the first one was released. Could it be partly to do with the new developers initiative to stop Sony charging too much? Or maybe it has more to do with Free Radical Design themselves, a company that has worked along side Nintendo before and with rumors suggesting they want to include Perfect Dark’s face mapping idea into the game maybe it is because they intend to use the future Gameboy Advance Camera, just a thought.

I’m putting my money on Timesplitters 2 beating the competition on the Gamecube, whilst Turok is looking good, Metroid is looking better than good, Perfect Dark preparing to set new standards and Die Hard trying to match Goldeneye along with the other Bond licenses I feel that I will find the greater satisfaction with Timesplitters 2 as it is the most different and enjoyable First Person Shooter of them all.

Here’s to the Future

Dringo.
Sat 13/04/02 at 00:52
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
So, i guess you like free radical design then.....
Sat 13/04/02 at 01:07
Regular
Do you think they got that message?
Sat 13/04/02 at 01:37
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Dringo wrote:
> Do you think they got that message?

I hope so, its still got me reeling :0)
Sat 13/04/02 at 12:14
Regular
I have to admit I've only played the original Time Splitters on the multiplayer mode and I wasn't too impressed. But I haven't had the chance to get into the game, to get used to the controls, and that's what's caused me to feel like this.

However, my brother has played the game loads, probably completed it for all I know and he loves the game.

I reckon it will be a hit on the GameCube. I've only seen the screenshots in the latest NGC magazine and it claims no release date has been announced, but I reckon Time Splitters 2 has the potential to do what Goldeneye did for the N64.
Sat 13/04/02 at 12:59
Regular
They make two games and you call them the kings of FPS....
Sat 13/04/02 at 20:56
Regular
"Link to the Future"
I'm sure TimeSplitters 2 won't do what Goldeneye did for the N64 for the GameCube, because it's not an exclusive title, is it? The GameCube will have to get other titles to make it 'the console to own'.
Sun 14/04/02 at 10:15
Regular
"Back For Good"
Dringo wrote:
>This game is graphically poor (It had its own style to be honest)

90% of early PS2 titles were and if you look at Timesplitters 2 it's one of the most impressive PS2 titles to date.

>It takes AGES to load (but it was worth it)
Timesplitters is CD based, DVDs load much quicker.

ok I read on and you actually liked Timesplitters so the defence rests :-)
Sun 14/04/02 at 19:53
Regular
Res€vilfan wrote:
> Dringo wrote:
> >This game is graphically poor (It had its own style to be
> honest)
>
> 90% of early PS2 titles were and if you look at Timesplitters 2 it's
> one of the most impressive PS2 titles to date.
>
> >It takes AGES to load (but it was worth it)
> Timesplitters is CD based, DVDs load much quicker.

So what your trying to say is that yes the graphics were poor and yes the loading took ages...
Mon 15/04/02 at 00:52
Regular
There are still DVD based games which take ages to load...Eg Red Faction...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.