GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Applies to all of you."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 13/04/02 at 00:14
Regular
Most of us here have been brought up in a middle class, western country. With this privilege of a ‘good’ life we have access to many sources of education and entertainment, such as:

1) Books
2) Films
3) Television
4) Music
5) Games

Well throughout time many people have used ways to express their feelings on issues. It could be their view on life, their interpretation of something or something made up in their mind. What I am asking is do gaming and the other factors come under this category?

1) Let's begin with the Bible shall we? It is one of the oldest books written, containing many stories from 2000 years ago. Whether you are religious or not, it doesn't matter. The point is that they’re some stories in there that are not true and are made up, to stand for things. Such as Adam and Eve*, a story of how man broke the link with God etc. Now these stories still exist today and are the basis of many people's morals and the reason for many wars, but whatever way you look at it, they got something across of that age and it still remains today. So somehow a part of those people's life’s have caused an effect on some people, as do many authors and poets of the present day, they can write something so personal or beautiful that many people can relate to and has effected them. So are we all agreed that books fit into that category? even thought I’m not 100% what that is.

2) Moving on now to the more advanced types of people expressing themselves. We shall start with films. I am going to take the example of war films. Now although in the early years many American based war films were incredibly biast and in no way showed the true horrors of war, it has changed in recent years. For example ‘Shindler’s List’. This film showed the true horror of World War 2 and the cruelty of human nature. It was set out to shock, and show people what happened to their fellow humans only half a century ago, and how one man helped save so many. Now the task of this was completed and I’m sure it educated and effected people, like myself. This was just one example, but some films can set out to educate, entertain, shock, and scare people and so in my opinion many can affect people’s views on life so it as well fits into the ‘category’.

3) Television really falls into the same region as films. However, it is more of a constant source of information. There are a wide variety of channels and subjects. You may watch the news, sport, documentaries, soaps or cooking shows. Whatever you are passionate in, you will always have a channel where you can learn more information or get a weekly update. Some people may bond with certain characters in East London or Manchester; others may learn a lovely technique to coil your cabbage. It effects people and is a constant source of new, influential things in your life and so once again falls in that ‘category’.

4) Moving on too music. Some people might not like music; to others it may be a love. Those who adore the music may have favourite bands or a type of genre. Maybe you like classical or Alternative Rock, no matter what you will warm to that area. For myself I adore the Manic Street Preachers, as some of you might be aware of. To me, they are more than simply a band. I can relate to all the lyrics they have written it may be something personal or maybe political but I read over their lyrics and just love them. I love their music as well, and in general love it. I wake up listening to my favourite music, go to school with music, sleep with music. It is a very important factor in my life, as I assume many others. People may feel the same way but have different taste, others might be influenced and learn to play a musical instrument. Music is not just merely nice sound; it is a whole lot more than that. People may have songs that remind them of times in their life’s and like me your personality and views could be shaped by certain musical figures. So to me, music is one other extremely important factor that people can relate to or have been affected with. In with the rest it goes.

5) Now here we go, the basis of this post. Do you think that gaming fits into this ‘category’ that I have created? To me personally, I am not too sure. I see it as simply games and nothing else. Maybe some people can relate to a character or a storyline in a game, it’s in the eye of the beholder, or something. Do you think that gaming plots are as meaningful as a good book or a musical poet? Or maybe the escape from reality makes you appreciate the game more, it has affected you in some way. Gaming is a strange subject; it means more to some people on this site than it does to others. So really does gaming belong in this ‘category’? Well it’s up to you.

Thanks if you read this.
Sat 13/04/02 at 12:05
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Nope

I know about Animal Farm by George Orwell though :)
Sat 13/04/02 at 11:33
Regular
Sheep do you know about Animal Forest by Nintendo.
Sat 13/04/02 at 11:18
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Books do not have the same interaction as games.

Games ad films, have a certain path which you are following. Well most games do, ones with ploys anyway. With films yes, you sit and watch but it could change your views and stuff after you have seen it.

So what have we learned so far?

Books rule? :)
Sat 13/04/02 at 11:09
Regular
The Game wrote:
> Games could never be as 'magical' as books, because they don't let you
> use your own imagination to create the scene. The visuals are already
> coded in, and what you see is what you get. With books, however, there
> is no limit to where your imagination will take you.
>
> Read a book create your own world. Play a game, and be given one.
>
> That sort of thing...

Books are more magical than games but games are more magical than films. Although books require your imagination (which games do but not to a similar extent) both books and games require INTERACTION involves you doing things i.e. thinking. Films you just sit or watch, this is no anti film post mind.
Sat 13/04/02 at 10:55
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Yeah I should have put artwork... and many other things... I'm not actually 100% what the question was :)

It's really just to see if any people here see games as a way to express themselves or if they have been affected by them... I haven't but I'm sure there are some people.
Sat 13/04/02 at 10:31
"Mimmargh!"
Don't forget building and architecture, thats an important way of expressing yourself. Did you mention artwork?? Thats pretty important too.

Games are probably the least important way of expressing yourself I would think since its just a means of entertainment, books on the other hand often have deep morals involved.
I'm not disregarding games, but they have a long way to go before they achieve the status of the written word...
Sat 13/04/02 at 08:21
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Games could never be as 'magical' as books, because they don't let you use your own imagination to create the scene. The visuals are already coded in, and what you see is what you get. With books, however, there is no limit to where your imagination will take you.

Read a book create your own world. Play a game, and be given one.

That sort of thing...
Sat 13/04/02 at 00:14
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Most of us here have been brought up in a middle class, western country. With this privilege of a ‘good’ life we have access to many sources of education and entertainment, such as:

1) Books
2) Films
3) Television
4) Music
5) Games

Well throughout time many people have used ways to express their feelings on issues. It could be their view on life, their interpretation of something or something made up in their mind. What I am asking is do gaming and the other factors come under this category?

1) Let's begin with the Bible shall we? It is one of the oldest books written, containing many stories from 2000 years ago. Whether you are religious or not, it doesn't matter. The point is that they’re some stories in there that are not true and are made up, to stand for things. Such as Adam and Eve*, a story of how man broke the link with God etc. Now these stories still exist today and are the basis of many people's morals and the reason for many wars, but whatever way you look at it, they got something across of that age and it still remains today. So somehow a part of those people's life’s have caused an effect on some people, as do many authors and poets of the present day, they can write something so personal or beautiful that many people can relate to and has effected them. So are we all agreed that books fit into that category? even thought I’m not 100% what that is.

2) Moving on now to the more advanced types of people expressing themselves. We shall start with films. I am going to take the example of war films. Now although in the early years many American based war films were incredibly biast and in no way showed the true horrors of war, it has changed in recent years. For example ‘Shindler’s List’. This film showed the true horror of World War 2 and the cruelty of human nature. It was set out to shock, and show people what happened to their fellow humans only half a century ago, and how one man helped save so many. Now the task of this was completed and I’m sure it educated and effected people, like myself. This was just one example, but some films can set out to educate, entertain, shock, and scare people and so in my opinion many can affect people’s views on life so it as well fits into the ‘category’.

3) Television really falls into the same region as films. However, it is more of a constant source of information. There are a wide variety of channels and subjects. You may watch the news, sport, documentaries, soaps or cooking shows. Whatever you are passionate in, you will always have a channel where you can learn more information or get a weekly update. Some people may bond with certain characters in East London or Manchester; others may learn a lovely technique to coil your cabbage. It effects people and is a constant source of new, influential things in your life and so once again falls in that ‘category’.

4) Moving on too music. Some people might not like music; to others it may be a love. Those who adore the music may have favourite bands or a type of genre. Maybe you like classical or Alternative Rock, no matter what you will warm to that area. For myself I adore the Manic Street Preachers, as some of you might be aware of. To me, they are more than simply a band. I can relate to all the lyrics they have written it may be something personal or maybe political but I read over their lyrics and just love them. I love their music as well, and in general love it. I wake up listening to my favourite music, go to school with music, sleep with music. It is a very important factor in my life, as I assume many others. People may feel the same way but have different taste, others might be influenced and learn to play a musical instrument. Music is not just merely nice sound; it is a whole lot more than that. People may have songs that remind them of times in their life’s and like me your personality and views could be shaped by certain musical figures. So to me, music is one other extremely important factor that people can relate to or have been affected with. In with the rest it goes.

5) Now here we go, the basis of this post. Do you think that gaming fits into this ‘category’ that I have created? To me personally, I am not too sure. I see it as simply games and nothing else. Maybe some people can relate to a character or a storyline in a game, it’s in the eye of the beholder, or something. Do you think that gaming plots are as meaningful as a good book or a musical poet? Or maybe the escape from reality makes you appreciate the game more, it has affected you in some way. Gaming is a strange subject; it means more to some people on this site than it does to others. So really does gaming belong in this ‘category’? Well it’s up to you.

Thanks if you read this.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.