GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Back to the dominating SNES-type Days??"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 12/04/02 at 20:41
Regular
Simply put, Nintendo is on to a darn good winner with the Gamecube-gaining support for its console from all quarters of the development community.
Put it this way, Nintendo's bones are made of pure solid Rock, they never give in to any competition that is thrown at them, possibly they have Yamauchi to thank for that, but either way, they are a Gaming force to put the wind up every Console Manufacturer that draws a breath on the market. There's no denying that.

How stubborn Nintendo are was evident with the Nintendo 64.
That Console was competing directly with the new found might that was the Playstation, effectively a new kid on the block. The PS wiped the floor clean- scooping up third party support from all corners of third party development, snatching Nintendo allies left right and centre such as Namco, Squaresoft, Enix and EA. But yet people from all corners of the earth where crying- "Nintendo is doomed" "The Nintendo 64 is on it's last legs" and yet this was 1998- Nintendo effectively gave a two finger salute regardless of the N64 sales and released the greatest game of all time being (In my opinion): 'The Legend of Zelda:Ocarina of Time'.
Even after that groundbreaking release the Nintendo 64 console rate didn't reach peak high enough and still Nintendo carried on regardless, supporting Rare injecting them with cash and so forth.
The Nintendo 64 wasn't a failure, don't get me wrong, it just wasn't the groundbreaker what Nintendo had hoped it to have been.
The Sony Playstation was the most popular amongst developers, from a simple reason only: 'Nintendo did not abandon Cartridges', that Is why Sony are where they are today. Simply put- If Nintendo had of installed a CD Drive within the Nintendo 64, Sony's Playstation would have been dead long ago!. All the developers who jumped ship because of Nintendo's reluctance to go CD was what gave Playstation a start it needed. STRONG allies Square would have been with the big N during 1996 if the N64 was CD, they said that themselves once back then, Namco too would have stayed put, where then or atleast how would Sony have got a foothold then? It would have been hard, it probably would have been useless attempting!.
So how then will Nintendo dominate this year and claim back the limelight that it once held for a TV Console?
Simple really, it was Nintendo's choice back at the announcement of the Gamecube that it will be using DVD-like discs coupled with ease of development, once the announcement was made the developers jumping back on board started to build up month by month.
Already we have seen Namco's decision with Ridge Racer 6 being confirmed, A Squaresoft –studio taking root, then we have EA with their many titles, even if they are 'yearly' and 'samey' and we have once 'Playstation only' developers coming in for pickings too such as Naughty Dog and their corporate allies being Universal Studios and not to mention Free Radical.

But then I haven't mentioned once enemies Sega bringing many of their lucrative titles to the format, with Sega development house Sonic Team acknowledging that the Nintendo Gamecube is their system of choice- seeing of course Sonic the Hedgehog speeding around Nintendo confines is quite amazing. Hearing news and confirmation too that F-Zero will be jointly developed by Sega, is truly shocking.
Nintendo are back with a vengeance, Sony and indeed newcomers such as Microsoft 'Will Not' know what hit them.
Then Nintendo will up the ante by unleashing the biggies come Summer when already we will have seen Resident Evil 1 + 0 plus Nintendo's own being the Killer app 'Super Mario' in Japan and not to mention Rares own titles which I don't need to mention leading up to Christmas 2002 with another being Nintendo's the Legend of Zelda. Phew!
Really, believe me when I say it, Nintendo are serious this time. They are a lot stronger than what they where with the N64. They have the means to wipe the floor with the competition regardless of 'leads' and so forth, they have never in the companies history been in a healthier state than what’s to come. You'll see-Believe me.
Sat 13/04/02 at 10:37
"Mimmargh!"
X-box is just another way for Microsoft to make money, sure its true of all companies, but surely Microsoft have enough. You can only make so much money. And the games so far are neither better (I have played Halo and wasn't that impressed) than its rivals games, and it doesn't make use of its advantage in processing power. Belive me, if something is cheap (PS2, GameCube) people will buy it. I don't know anyone who has or intends on buying an X-box but most of my friends have a PS2 or intend on getting a GameCube. I don't like X-box, I really don't.
Sat 13/04/02 at 01:49
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Personally i think Microsoft are already on the brink, come GC launch day it don't think it will stand a chance, at £165 its a snip, and the games are easily comparable to the Xboxes. If xbox sales dont start picking up soon they could be in real hardship. They underestimated demand for PS2 and Gamecube, simple as that.
Fri 12/04/02 at 23:57
Regular
Actually Squaresoft left Nintendo after an argument over MArio RPG Profits, they went to Sony and pursuaded other to join them, Squaresoft alone hurt the N64 (and the sales picked up heavily after Goldeneye, ZElda and especially Pokemon Stadium) and now Squaresoft are hurt and Nintendo caring for the Gamers have let them back...

Big up yourself Nintendo.
Fri 12/04/02 at 22:07
Regular
"aka 'SLIM'"
Great Post !!!!
Fri 12/04/02 at 21:22
"Mimmargh!"
I agree...the Cubes a fine piece of hardware, and at just £165 their a force to be rekoned with. Playstation have a foothold but I think X-box are gonna have a real hard time if they don't start taking advantage of their more powerful system soon. £300? They better get cracking, personally I think X-box will get swamped by the PS2 and GameCube. Whether PS2 will endure or become less influential compared to the Cube in a month or two has yet to be seen. Time will tell...
Fri 12/04/02 at 20:41
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Simply put, Nintendo is on to a darn good winner with the Gamecube-gaining support for its console from all quarters of the development community.
Put it this way, Nintendo's bones are made of pure solid Rock, they never give in to any competition that is thrown at them, possibly they have Yamauchi to thank for that, but either way, they are a Gaming force to put the wind up every Console Manufacturer that draws a breath on the market. There's no denying that.

How stubborn Nintendo are was evident with the Nintendo 64.
That Console was competing directly with the new found might that was the Playstation, effectively a new kid on the block. The PS wiped the floor clean- scooping up third party support from all corners of third party development, snatching Nintendo allies left right and centre such as Namco, Squaresoft, Enix and EA. But yet people from all corners of the earth where crying- "Nintendo is doomed" "The Nintendo 64 is on it's last legs" and yet this was 1998- Nintendo effectively gave a two finger salute regardless of the N64 sales and released the greatest game of all time being (In my opinion): 'The Legend of Zelda:Ocarina of Time'.
Even after that groundbreaking release the Nintendo 64 console rate didn't reach peak high enough and still Nintendo carried on regardless, supporting Rare injecting them with cash and so forth.
The Nintendo 64 wasn't a failure, don't get me wrong, it just wasn't the groundbreaker what Nintendo had hoped it to have been.
The Sony Playstation was the most popular amongst developers, from a simple reason only: 'Nintendo did not abandon Cartridges', that Is why Sony are where they are today. Simply put- If Nintendo had of installed a CD Drive within the Nintendo 64, Sony's Playstation would have been dead long ago!. All the developers who jumped ship because of Nintendo's reluctance to go CD was what gave Playstation a start it needed. STRONG allies Square would have been with the big N during 1996 if the N64 was CD, they said that themselves once back then, Namco too would have stayed put, where then or atleast how would Sony have got a foothold then? It would have been hard, it probably would have been useless attempting!.
So how then will Nintendo dominate this year and claim back the limelight that it once held for a TV Console?
Simple really, it was Nintendo's choice back at the announcement of the Gamecube that it will be using DVD-like discs coupled with ease of development, once the announcement was made the developers jumping back on board started to build up month by month.
Already we have seen Namco's decision with Ridge Racer 6 being confirmed, A Squaresoft –studio taking root, then we have EA with their many titles, even if they are 'yearly' and 'samey' and we have once 'Playstation only' developers coming in for pickings too such as Naughty Dog and their corporate allies being Universal Studios and not to mention Free Radical.

But then I haven't mentioned once enemies Sega bringing many of their lucrative titles to the format, with Sega development house Sonic Team acknowledging that the Nintendo Gamecube is their system of choice- seeing of course Sonic the Hedgehog speeding around Nintendo confines is quite amazing. Hearing news and confirmation too that F-Zero will be jointly developed by Sega, is truly shocking.
Nintendo are back with a vengeance, Sony and indeed newcomers such as Microsoft 'Will Not' know what hit them.
Then Nintendo will up the ante by unleashing the biggies come Summer when already we will have seen Resident Evil 1 + 0 plus Nintendo's own being the Killer app 'Super Mario' in Japan and not to mention Rares own titles which I don't need to mention leading up to Christmas 2002 with another being Nintendo's the Legend of Zelda. Phew!
Really, believe me when I say it, Nintendo are serious this time. They are a lot stronger than what they where with the N64. They have the means to wipe the floor with the competition regardless of 'leads' and so forth, they have never in the companies history been in a healthier state than what’s to come. You'll see-Believe me.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.