GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Good PS2 "war" game for an 8 year old"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 12/04/02 at 15:43
Regular
My sons 8th birthday is coming up and while he has enjoyed playing Crash Bandicoot and GTa 3 (with a little help form me :-) ) on the PS2 I know he would like something where he could shoot at things!

He is not into beat-em-up style games and prefers to see a few things being blown up!

He likes playing Command and Conquer and Red Alert on the PC and he liked a demo of Medal of Honor on the PC - but that is too old for him I think. (And anyway my PC aint up to it in the graphics dept).

So any recommendations as to a good game for him on the PS2 would be appreciated.

Dave
Fri 12/04/02 at 16:42
Regular
"Thongs of Praise"
yeah ive seen it that cheap in gamestation, take note sr!
Fri 12/04/02 at 16:40
"Uzi Lover"
CDouch wrote:
> I saw State of emergency for £18.99 new the other day. Man I
> wish I broight it...

THATS A BARGAIN! It is pretty new aswell.

But...I think its pants.
Fri 12/04/02 at 16:37
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
I saw State of emergency for £18.99 new the other day. Man I wish I broight it...
Fri 12/04/02 at 16:24
"Uzi Lover"
Plonk wrote:
> State of Emergency is bloomin violent lol, gta3 is a pixie game
> compared.

Hmmmmmmm I think GTA 3 has always been more violent then State Of Emergency. I mean, the graphics and gameplay in general for GTA 3 makes it so realistic compared to SOE and so thats what makes it so much more violent. Because its more lifelike.

SOE is gory though, but in a funny way (if your 16) :-D
Fri 12/04/02 at 16:13
Regular
"Thongs of Praise"
State of Emergency is bloomin violent lol, gta3 is a pixie game compared. Mmmmmm anarchy, just what little 8 year olds love :o)
Fri 12/04/02 at 16:13
Monkey_With_Attitude wrote:
> WOAH you must be growing your kid up to be a killing machine or
> something. Eight years old and loves to shoot things...no problem in
> that :-)
>
> I suggest you buy him a real gun...hmmmm no well I would say you could
> try State Of Emergency. Some guns in that and its fast paced action
> arcade style. He'll love it :-) I don't though...

I'll check it out thanks.

Dave
Fri 12/04/02 at 16:11
WòókieeM????wrote:
> What do you mean by "too old for him"? Do you mean the
> content, or the controls?

I meant the difficulty level more than the content. The PC demo we have is a mission where you have to blow up some nebelwerfer(spelling??) rockets and the content was OK for him in that I think. I don't know if other missions get too gory or what, but he found it frustrating when it got hectic and he got wiped out once too often for his liking.

But my understanding is the latest Medal of Honour is not released yet on PS2 and I had to set my PC to lowest level grphics to get it it to run at all (PIII 450, 128 meg, GeForceII MX).

>
> If you're talking in terms of first-person shooters like Medal of
> Honor, then you could try TimeSplitters (no blood in that), or Red
> Faction, which is now only ¡ò19.99 in the Platinum 2 range.

He has his eye on Commandos II but from what I have read review-wise this is far too complex for an 8 year old so first person shooters ar enot necessarily what I am after. As I said he likes the Red Alert sort of games on the PC and can do them OK at the easy setting.

I will check out reviews on timesplitters and red factions. Thanks.

Dave
Fri 12/04/02 at 15:55
"Uzi Lover"
Ohhhhh just saw he don't like beat-em-up. Little bit of beating in Stae Of Emergency, thats all. But its also an 18!

18 - 8. Don't figure.

But I suppose you let him play and 'helped' him play GAT 3 :-P
Fri 12/04/02 at 15:53
"Uzi Lover"
WOAH you must be growing your kid up to be a killing machine or something. Eight years old and loves to shoot things...no problem in that :-)

I suggest you buy him a real gun...hmmmm no well I would say you could try State Of Emergency. Some guns in that and its fast paced action arcade style. He'll love it :-) I don't though...
Fri 12/04/02 at 15:51
"High polygon count"
DavidO wrote:
>He likes playing Command and Conquer and Red Alert on the PC and he
>liked a demo of Medal of Honor on the PC - but that is too old for him
>I think.

What do you mean by "too old for him"? Do you mean the content, or the controls?

If you're talking in terms of first-person shooters like Medal of Honor, then you could try TimeSplitters (no blood in that), or Red Faction, which is now only £19.99 in the Platinum 2 range.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.