GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Christmas showdown- PS2 vs. DC"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 14/10/00 at 15:15
Regular
It's that time of year again when games sales go thorough the roof. But who's gonna be the big winner this year? Last year it was Nintendo's epic adventure Zelda: Ocarina of Time, which kept Nintendo in the picture just as everyone thought it was tumbling under the weight of the mighty Playstation.

This year though, much more is at stake- If Sega don't pull though we may never see them return for another go. At the moment it's looking very good for the company. In America Dreamcast sales shot through the roof as Sega's online network went up, and a $50 reduction in price was announced. Over here, Dreamcasts are going to be sold alone for £50, or as a bundle with a top quality DVD player for £299. As Dan points out, Sega's Christmas line-up is excellent, ranging from MSR and Space Channel 5 to Shenmue and Jet Grind Radio.

But, Sega has one major problem- the PS2. The sucess of the PSX esures it's big brother even more sales, and with all incoming shipments of consoles already pre-ordered, it's going to sell like Pokemon toys! Although not brilliant, the PS2 games line up is solid, containing games from every major genre.

Sega's only salvation may come in the PS2's sucess, whereby PS2's are sold out, and more people may buy Dreamcast's instead. But this can only happen if people are shown the games on offer on the Dreamcast, and this means advertising. Yes, that's right Sega Europe- you may have to SPEND SOME MONEY TO SHOW PEOPLE YOUR PRODUCTS. Kind of obvious really, but based on Sega's recent record, I think they may need some better PR people down there.

Well there you have it- the Xmas debate has begun. It's only a matter of time to see who wins.

Rav
Sun 15/10/00 at 19:15
Regular
Shenmue will, I repeat WILL, sell Dreamcasts, and it will sell them well.

Unless Sega refuse to advertise. I may just make a few adverts for Sega if they can't be bothered...
I have to do everything for Sega, sheesh.
Sun 15/10/00 at 17:48
'ps2 none as all' this isn't meant to be here.
Sun 15/10/00 at 17:47
Babylon - Of course I appreciate what you have said - but do you really believe that all the PS2 problems are sorted just because a Sony employee from PSM2 says so? But then he might be right, if he is I bet a lot of gamies companies will be mightily p**s£d off about it - if it were such a simple problem - and so many first gen titles look so shabby? Well....

But as for all the subjects at hand.

This is the Christmas run up.

People who want an Xmas present in the form of a games machine will not be getting a PS2 unless it's an import or has been pre ordered - the simple fact is that there are not enough for the stores to sell.
So here are my predictions and percentages
:
Retail Hardware sales from November 12th until December 24th:

Playstation 2 - 0% as they have all sold out at pre order.
PSone - 3% No one fell for it
N64 - 18% the new coloured deals did well.
Game Boy and GBC - 32% Pokemon crazy time again
Dreamcast - 42% People were won over by MSr and shenmue
2nd hand consoles (n64/saturn/playstation/gbc) - 5%

I reckon.
The best selling games this Xmas?
Shenmue
Any Playstation game
the 3 best PS2 games
Perfect Dark
Mario tennis
Pokemon ultra violet and pink spots

Of course these stats are based on no conclusive evidence whatsoever

PS2 - none as all
Sun 15/10/00 at 15:57
people look at the games the Dreamcast will win hands down
Sun 15/10/00 at 10:58
Regular
(Getting back to the original point)
Aren't we forgetting someone?
DC, yeah. PS2, if you're loaded.
N64, if you have one and are finally spoiled for choice with tons of top draw games, or are drawn into the evil web of pokemon merchandise.

Pleanty of people have the system. Pleanty more will be getting one, either to follow their poke-fad or because they want the great titles and don't have the patience for Gamecube.
Zelda, Mario Tennis, Party 2, Conker's BFD, Bond, ISS 2000, even PD is still selling and will build up to x-mas.

Lets just not forget the little guys at nintendo, and all the joy they bring.
Sun 15/10/00 at 02:08
>It had to happen. I could see it a mile off. Someone
>called Babylonian - Baby. It was expected of course.

Well shucks, we're just good friends - honest!
Sun 15/10/00 at 01:59
> The Playstation 2 - I didn't say it was an
> awful system - just that many developers have complained about the
> difficulty and unhelpfulness on sony's part regarding development
> tools for the console.

Sorry, I wasn't clear - I meant the part where you said 'awful development system'.

But, to quote Anoop Shekar (Assistant Producer, Volition Inc.) from PSM2, issue 2:

"It's all fixed. Everything was blown out of proportion. Sony have acknowledged that there were problems,and now it's all sorted out. Sony have been great. They provided everyone with methods for solving the problems, and that was that. In fact, by the time PS2 owners noticed anything was wrong, it was already over. It actually turned out that most of what we needed to fix our screen-flickering problems in Red Faction was in the development manual - it was just fairly well hidden."

So who's to say that PS2's other 'problems' aren't in there too?

There are definitely some duff games lined up for PS2 - no question about that. What I object to is people (not necessarily you, Dan) suggesting, directly or otherwise, that such problems only exist with Sony and the PS2.

> And when EA have trouble putting Quake 3 on
> the PS2 you have to wonder.

I've not heard of that. I knew Quake 3 was coming, but was not aware that development had already started.

> may mean people will be using their machine mainly for
> the DVD features - as this has happened in the great
> Japan - the PS2 games are selling very poorly

I have read, though admittedly on the Daily Radar site, that Dreamcast game sales are also slow in Japan.

> As for the whole 'stop gap' thing? Well if people do
> opt for a DC then maybe they will see how good it is
> and actually end up keeping it.

To be honest, I hope they do. If more people owned more than one machine, it might stop this "mine's better than yours" cr@p that we get so much of on these forums.

I've never claimed that PS2 is better than Dreamcast. I don't own one, but I've never ruled out the possibility, *if* enough games appear on it that I really want.

Most replies are of the format "well, Game X on Dreamcast looks better than Game Y on PS2" - but I've never actually bought a game because of pretty graphics. Jet Pac on my Commodore Vic-20 was one of the best games I've ever played, and I'd still rate it's gameplay better than 50% of the titles around today.
Sat 14/10/00 at 21:36
Regular
Are these song lyrics? Or are you in Russia somewhere?
Or just plain mad? (I vote the latter.)
Sat 14/10/00 at 21:35
Regular
"I like cheese"
half 3?? Where do you come from???
Sat 14/10/00 at 21:32
A large coke? No, but you can have medium curly fries. Also, Here we R It is half passed 3 in the morning. I can't get no sleep. Yeah.y-y-yeah......Yeah........I never sleep. I never sleep. I never sleep. I never sleep. I never sleep. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ../././././././././././ ./././ ./.././ ./.././ ././../ ././.. /././ ./. /. /. /. /. /. l - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - I burn a hole in the matress, yes it.. was me I confess guity, ...not even bread jam,... a cold potata, insomnia please release, and let me dream ....about tearing off tights with my teeth. I can't get no sleep....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.