GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Films into Games?! Games into Films?!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/04/02 at 20:56
Regular
The gaming world is becoming bigger and better as time moves on. Games and films are the most popular past time at this present moment. People enjoy relaxing in front of their televisions either watching the latest DVD out or indulging in great game. The leisure industry makes billions of pounds each year. The playstation 2 cleverly combined a great games console with a DVD player making it irresistible to any fan of games or watching films. Other consoles soon followed trend and decided to compete with Sony for the title of ‘best games console’. Games are dominating the leisure industry; and why?……… Because they are fun, freaky, fabulously made and anyone’s idea of fun!

When films are released at the cinema you usually see lots of merchandise that goes with it. Ranging from the t-shirt to the pencil cases to the special decorated cakes (mmm cake J). This is just their way of making more money and I admire them for it. If the film is liked by the public then the merchandise sells like mad, and soon you see it on the Saturday market stalls. They usually make a sequel to the film, which brings in more and more money and so on…. Until it dies out.

Games consoles are becoming really popular, they are in nearly everyone’s homes from grandmothers who have it for their grandchildren to businessmen/women who like to relax with a good old shoot up in liberty city, or take a drive on some of the meanest tracks on Grand Turismo 3. After all games take you away from the stresses of life and take you to a world of great graphics and supreme intelligence.

It is this distance from the real world that people enjoy and will quite happily fork out hard earned money to experience. It use to be that most of the games and games consoles were played by children who like to play with their favourite cartoon characters in a world far away from reality. Today things are different. Games have progressed so much. More genres have been formed and more games have/are been created. Developers are putting four or five different styles of games in the shops every week. Also games are having more effort put into the making of them, this hopefully ensures that all of the games released are great and you do not waste your money purchasing them.

This is great news for games fans, but makes it even harder to choose the ones you want. So how do you choose? Usually you go for the type of game you like. Sometimes your choice is influenced by reviews you read or demos discs you play. I personally think any game is worth giving a try because just think of how many hours these developers spent on them. It cannot be ‘rubbish’ if it has made it onto the gaming scene. I think you usually choose the game with the best graphics or the one with the best publicity. What influences your decisions on the games you buy?

Films have tried to get in on the gaming scene too. They have noticed that the games market is very popular. If it is a film such as ‘A Bugs Life’ it is sure to be made into a game. The target audience will be 5 to 10 year olds and you will not heat much about it. When films such as ‘Men In Black’ make a game it is usually one of the worst that year, although if you liked the film you may like to play the game? I think one of the main reasons these games do not make it is that the developers do not spend much time on them. They just seem to think that as long as it has the cover saying the film title it will be brought by everyone who has seen the film. If they decided to take a bit more time over the making of the game and make it quite long and interesting to play I think they would make even more money than they do already.

It is different when games such as ‘Tomb Raider’ decide to make a film because they have already done the games well and got the gamers respect. Therefore it is more likely that they will have more people going to see the film. The companies make more money this way and make the gamers happy because they get to enjoy great gaming and great films based on the games. Final fantasy was another game which decided to hit the cinema. They companies knew that A LOT of people like final fantasy and making a film would bring in more money. The film was good and showed the world how technology was progressing.

What are your thoughts on films being made into games? Do you think that games should stay on one side of the leisure industry and films should stay on the other? Or do you like the idea of films and games being combined?

Appreciate your replies
Thanks for reading
Thu 11/04/02 at 20:56
Regular
"**I'm Disposable**"
The gaming world is becoming bigger and better as time moves on. Games and films are the most popular past time at this present moment. People enjoy relaxing in front of their televisions either watching the latest DVD out or indulging in great game. The leisure industry makes billions of pounds each year. The playstation 2 cleverly combined a great games console with a DVD player making it irresistible to any fan of games or watching films. Other consoles soon followed trend and decided to compete with Sony for the title of ‘best games console’. Games are dominating the leisure industry; and why?……… Because they are fun, freaky, fabulously made and anyone’s idea of fun!

When films are released at the cinema you usually see lots of merchandise that goes with it. Ranging from the t-shirt to the pencil cases to the special decorated cakes (mmm cake J). This is just their way of making more money and I admire them for it. If the film is liked by the public then the merchandise sells like mad, and soon you see it on the Saturday market stalls. They usually make a sequel to the film, which brings in more and more money and so on…. Until it dies out.

Games consoles are becoming really popular, they are in nearly everyone’s homes from grandmothers who have it for their grandchildren to businessmen/women who like to relax with a good old shoot up in liberty city, or take a drive on some of the meanest tracks on Grand Turismo 3. After all games take you away from the stresses of life and take you to a world of great graphics and supreme intelligence.

It is this distance from the real world that people enjoy and will quite happily fork out hard earned money to experience. It use to be that most of the games and games consoles were played by children who like to play with their favourite cartoon characters in a world far away from reality. Today things are different. Games have progressed so much. More genres have been formed and more games have/are been created. Developers are putting four or five different styles of games in the shops every week. Also games are having more effort put into the making of them, this hopefully ensures that all of the games released are great and you do not waste your money purchasing them.

This is great news for games fans, but makes it even harder to choose the ones you want. So how do you choose? Usually you go for the type of game you like. Sometimes your choice is influenced by reviews you read or demos discs you play. I personally think any game is worth giving a try because just think of how many hours these developers spent on them. It cannot be ‘rubbish’ if it has made it onto the gaming scene. I think you usually choose the game with the best graphics or the one with the best publicity. What influences your decisions on the games you buy?

Films have tried to get in on the gaming scene too. They have noticed that the games market is very popular. If it is a film such as ‘A Bugs Life’ it is sure to be made into a game. The target audience will be 5 to 10 year olds and you will not heat much about it. When films such as ‘Men In Black’ make a game it is usually one of the worst that year, although if you liked the film you may like to play the game? I think one of the main reasons these games do not make it is that the developers do not spend much time on them. They just seem to think that as long as it has the cover saying the film title it will be brought by everyone who has seen the film. If they decided to take a bit more time over the making of the game and make it quite long and interesting to play I think they would make even more money than they do already.

It is different when games such as ‘Tomb Raider’ decide to make a film because they have already done the games well and got the gamers respect. Therefore it is more likely that they will have more people going to see the film. The companies make more money this way and make the gamers happy because they get to enjoy great gaming and great films based on the games. Final fantasy was another game which decided to hit the cinema. They companies knew that A LOT of people like final fantasy and making a film would bring in more money. The film was good and showed the world how technology was progressing.

What are your thoughts on films being made into games? Do you think that games should stay on one side of the leisure industry and films should stay on the other? Or do you like the idea of films and games being combined?

Appreciate your replies
Thanks for reading
Thu 11/04/02 at 21:29
Nice post there
Thu 11/04/02 at 21:39
Regular
"**I'm Disposable**"
Silent85 wrote:
> Nice post there

Thankyou I wanted my first thread to be good. Could you give me any advice of how to improve it?
Thanks
Thu 11/04/02 at 21:39
Regular
nice post. im more into games into movies than vice verser
Thu 11/04/02 at 22:28
Regular
"Hmmm....."
**Kerrang!** wrote:

Thankyou I wanted my first thread to be
> good. Could you give me any advice of how to improve it?
Thanks

---------------

eerrr,
although it was good the thing you should do to improve your posts is simply talk about something original.
I.E. this has already been done before.

still a good post though.
ah well,
cya
:)
Fri 12/04/02 at 02:11
Regular
**Kerrang!** wrote:
> The gaming world is becoming bigger and better as time moves on. Games and films
> are the most popular past time at this present moment. People enjoy relaxing in
> front of their televisions either watching the latest DVD out or indulging in
> great game. The leisure industry makes billions of pounds each year. The
> playstation 2 cleverly combined a great games console with a DVD player making
> it irresistible to any fan of games or watching films. Other consoles soon
> followed trend and decided to compete with Sony for the title of ‘best games
> console’. Games are dominating the leisure industry; and why?……… Because they
> are fun, freaky, fabulously made and anyone’s idea of fun!

When films are
> released at the cinema you usually see lots of merchandise that goes with it.
> Ranging from the t-shirt to the pencil cases to the special decorated cakes (mmm
> cake J). This is just their way of making more money and I admire them for it.
> If the film is liked by the public then the merchandise sells like mad, and soon
> you see it on the Saturday market stalls. They usually make a sequel to the
> film, which brings in more and more money and so on…. Until it dies out.
>

Games consoles are becoming really popular, they are in nearly everyone’s
> homes from grandmothers who have it for their grandchildren to businessmen/women
> who like to relax with a good old shoot up in liberty city, or take a drive on
> some of the meanest tracks on Grand Turismo 3. After all games take you away
> from the stresses of life and take you to a world of great graphics and supreme
> intelligence.

It is this distance from the real world that people enjoy and
> will quite happily fork out hard earned money to experience. It use to be that
> most of the games and games consoles were played by children who like to play
> with their favourite cartoon characters in a world far away from reality. Today
> things are different. Games have progressed so much. More genres have been
> formed and more games have/are been created. Developers are putting four or five
> different styles of games in the shops every week. Also games are having more
> effort put into the making of them, this hopefully ensures that all of the games
> released are great and you do not waste your money purchasing them.

This is
> great news for games fans, but makes it even harder to choose the ones you want.
> So how do you choose? Usually you go for the type of game you like. Sometimes
> your choice is influenced by reviews you read or demos discs you play. I
> personally think any game is worth giving a try because just think of how many
> hours these developers spent on them. It cannot be ‘rubbish’ if it has made it
> onto the gaming scene. I think you usually choose the game with the best
> graphics or the one with the best publicity. What influences your decisions on
> the games you buy?

Films have tried to get in on the gaming scene too. They
> have noticed that the games market is very popular. If it is a film such as ‘A
> Bugs Life’ it is sure to be made into a game. The target audience will be 5 to
> 10 year olds and you will not heat much about it. When films such as ‘Men In
> Black’ make a game it is usually one of the worst that year, although if you
> liked the film you may like to play the game? I think one of the main reasons
> these games do not make it is that the developers do not spend much time on
> them. They just seem to think that as long as it has the cover saying the film
> title it will be brought by everyone who has seen the film. If they decided to
> take a bit more time over the making of the game and make it quite long and
> interesting to play I think they would make even more money than they do
> already.

It is different when games such as ‘Tomb Raider’ decide to make a
> film because they have already done the games well and got the gamers respect.
> Therefore it is more likely that they will have more people going to see the
> film. The companies make more money this way and make the gamers happy because
> they get to enjoy great gaming and great films based on the games. Final fantasy
> was another game which decided to hit the cinema. They companies knew that A LOT
> of people like final fantasy and making a film would bring in more money. The
> film was good and showed the world how technology was progressing.

What are
> your thoughts on films being made into games? Do you think that games should
> stay on one side of the leisure industry and films should stay on the other? Or
> do you like the idea of films and games being combined?

Appreciate your
> replies
Thanks for reading

I personally think that it all depends on what game & what film. Sometimes there are films that could make potentially awesome games but never happen. For instance when I was a kid I really really wanted an graphic adventure game of 'Labyrinth' to com out but it never happened. Then you get a game like 'Streetfighter the movie' which is like the most pointless crossover ever. I think you'd all have to agree that that was the worst street fighter game ever! and to come out on such a quality platform as PS1 WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!
Personally I think that Tomb Raider and FF are pretty lame game to movie crossovers as well as Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter and Mario Bros. But, although I havent seen it yet I think the most promising game to film conversion has to be Resident Evil, cause let's be honest those games completely rip off the horror genre, but it's done in such a way that it's fairly original, and interesting, so it's gagging for a horror movie to made based on it. That said they've probably done a really bad job of it, cause as you said games companies don't spend as much effort on film crossovers, movie makers don't spend as much time on game crossovers.
Fri 12/04/02 at 02:11
Regular
**Kerrang!** wrote:
> The gaming world is becoming bigger and better as time moves on. Games and films
> are the most popular past time at this present moment. People enjoy relaxing in
> front of their televisions either watching the latest DVD out or indulging in
> great game. The leisure industry makes billions of pounds each year. The
> playstation 2 cleverly combined a great games console with a DVD player making
> it irresistible to any fan of games or watching films. Other consoles soon
> followed trend and decided to compete with Sony for the title of ‘best games
> console’. Games are dominating the leisure industry; and why?……… Because they
> are fun, freaky, fabulously made and anyone’s idea of fun!

When films are
> released at the cinema you usually see lots of merchandise that goes with it.
> Ranging from the t-shirt to the pencil cases to the special decorated cakes (mmm
> cake J). This is just their way of making more money and I admire them for it.
> If the film is liked by the public then the merchandise sells like mad, and soon
> you see it on the Saturday market stalls. They usually make a sequel to the
> film, which brings in more and more money and so on…. Until it dies out.
>

Games consoles are becoming really popular, they are in nearly everyone’s
> homes from grandmothers who have it for their grandchildren to businessmen/women
> who like to relax with a good old shoot up in liberty city, or take a drive on
> some of the meanest tracks on Grand Turismo 3. After all games take you away
> from the stresses of life and take you to a world of great graphics and supreme
> intelligence.

It is this distance from the real world that people enjoy and
> will quite happily fork out hard earned money to experience. It use to be that
> most of the games and games consoles were played by children who like to play
> with their favourite cartoon characters in a world far away from reality. Today
> things are different. Games have progressed so much. More genres have been
> formed and more games have/are been created. Developers are putting four or five
> different styles of games in the shops every week. Also games are having more
> effort put into the making of them, this hopefully ensures that all of the games
> released are great and you do not waste your money purchasing them.

This is
> great news for games fans, but makes it even harder to choose the ones you want.
> So how do you choose? Usually you go for the type of game you like. Sometimes
> your choice is influenced by reviews you read or demos discs you play. I
> personally think any game is worth giving a try because just think of how many
> hours these developers spent on them. It cannot be ‘rubbish’ if it has made it
> onto the gaming scene. I think you usually choose the game with the best
> graphics or the one with the best publicity. What influences your decisions on
> the games you buy?

Films have tried to get in on the gaming scene too. They
> have noticed that the games market is very popular. If it is a film such as ‘A
> Bugs Life’ it is sure to be made into a game. The target audience will be 5 to
> 10 year olds and you will not heat much about it. When films such as ‘Men In
> Black’ make a game it is usually one of the worst that year, although if you
> liked the film you may like to play the game? I think one of the main reasons
> these games do not make it is that the developers do not spend much time on
> them. They just seem to think that as long as it has the cover saying the film
> title it will be brought by everyone who has seen the film. If they decided to
> take a bit more time over the making of the game and make it quite long and
> interesting to play I think they would make even more money than they do
> already.

It is different when games such as ‘Tomb Raider’ decide to make a
> film because they have already done the games well and got the gamers respect.
> Therefore it is more likely that they will have more people going to see the
> film. The companies make more money this way and make the gamers happy because
> they get to enjoy great gaming and great films based on the games. Final fantasy
> was another game which decided to hit the cinema. They companies knew that A LOT
> of people like final fantasy and making a film would bring in more money. The
> film was good and showed the world how technology was progressing.

What are
> your thoughts on films being made into games? Do you think that games should
> stay on one side of the leisure industry and films should stay on the other? Or
> do you like the idea of films and games being combined?

Appreciate your
> replies
Thanks for reading

I personally think that it all depends on what game & what film. Sometimes there are films that could make potentially awesome games but never happen. For instance when I was a kid I really really wanted an graphic adventure game of 'Labyrinth' to com out but it never happened. Then you get a game like 'Streetfighter the movie' which is like the most pointless crossover ever. I think you'd all have to agree that that was the worst street fighter game ever! and to come out on such a quality platform as PS1 WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!
Personally I think that Tomb Raider and FF are pretty lame game to movie crossovers as well as Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter and Mario Bros. But, although I havent seen it yet I think the most promising game to film conversion has to be Resident Evil, cause let's be honest those games completely rip off the horror genre, but it's done in such a way that it's fairly original, and interesting, so it's gagging for a horror movie to made based on it. That said they've probably done a really bad job of it, cause as you said games companies don't spend as much effort on film crossovers, movie makers don't spend as much time on game crossovers.
Fri 12/04/02 at 09:25
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
not a bad post there..

I think you are right that it's not quite been working trying to make films into games. I look at games like Jurassic park, independance day, men in black as a few poor examples of the poor attempts to make movies into games. looking at the Games into films point of view, the street fighter movie was rushed, uninspired and crude.

However all is not lost..

A game will be coming out soon called Blade II, Ive seen a few pictures for it and it does look fairly decent (surprised?)but we will have to wait and see.

I would love to see a Metal Gear Solid Movie, If they can reproduce the cut scenes and action into a film then it would be amazing, but they cannot follow examples frm the past because they haven't been successful at all.
Fri 12/04/02 at 19:18
Regular
Good post!

I always think its tricky to make the transition, as game levels are always difficult to recreate in a film, and some film scenes are hard to make into levels. With some games, though, the potential is there. As Neo said, I reckon MGS2 is definitely one of those games

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.