GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Back on line"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 18/12/07 at 15:49
Regular
Well am back! Internet went down at about 8AM on Monday whole village was off inc the Post office!! no pensions for many residents. And NO Internet for ANYONE AOL BT Orange Tiscali and even Freeola were not working, even though my first call to customer services I explained all the above I was asked to turn off my router for 25 mins this I did no joy and even tried to log in with a BT test account no joy! I was a a LOT perplexed as to why the reluctance tp phone BTW to report this issue? when clearly the whole village was affected, I know you have set things that you must try, but I think in this case common sense went out the window.

Kev
Tue 18/12/07 at 15:49
Regular
Well am back! Internet went down at about 8AM on Monday whole village was off inc the Post office!! no pensions for many residents. And NO Internet for ANYONE AOL BT Orange Tiscali and even Freeola were not working, even though my first call to customer services I explained all the above I was asked to turn off my router for 25 mins this I did no joy and even tried to log in with a BT test account no joy! I was a a LOT perplexed as to why the reluctance tp phone BTW to report this issue? when clearly the whole village was affected, I know you have set things that you must try, but I think in this case common sense went out the window.

Kev
Tue 18/12/07 at 17:54
"Are you sure?"
It's a bit of a pain, but Freeola have to go through some standard checks else BT will invoice you(!) for around £169+VAT if it's not their problem.

I guess there are so many 'broadband problems' being reported where someone has unplugged the phone line or the cat has chewed through a cable that has caused wasted investigation in the past that has put everyone in this situation.
(bad English but you know what I mean...)

Search Freeola Chat
Tue 18/12/07 at 18:16
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
I apologise for the frustration felt by you in this matter, unfortunately BT Wholesale will not accept any fault logged by us (Or one would assume any other ISP running off their systems) without running some standard checks first. From looking into your account I can see that although you were not able to connect to the Internet your router was still 'in-sync' i.e. it was still picking up the signal on the line which points to you picking up a stale session or IP. In cases like this a simple 15/20/25 minute powerdown of your equipment will get you connected to a different session and pipe resolving the issue.

Obviously this wasn't the case with your connection and your fault was duly logged once you had completed this simple test for us. Once BT were aware of your issue (Along with the others from your village if what you say is accurate) they realised a problem at the exchange and an engineer was dispatched this morning. Thankfully he now seems to have resolved said issue resulting in you being able to browse the Internet once more.

I fully expect one of my colleagues to call you during the course of tomorrow to ensure that you are having no further issues and to complete the escalated fault procedure. Obviously if you have any issues before this time feel free to contact us on the usual numbers or via our online ticketing system.
Wed 19/12/07 at 01:52
Regular
Hi Butch yeah what I said was accurate, the whole village was down inc post office, no pensions were dished out as the computer is linked to the system. I do appreciate that you have procedures to follow,and understand that you may get a few time wasters but I knew my router was still in sync that made it all the more confussing. Arron said he thought the report said it was a MUX? fault at the exchange, my BT source said a NODE? was down at the local town 5 miles away and was also affected by this outage. All well now though cheers.

Kev
Wed 19/12/07 at 11:07
Regular
"Mad as a badger!"
Thank you for the status update Kev. I'm glad this now seems to be sorted, and again, please accept our apologies for any issues you experienced getting the fault logged. I will have the fault closed off on our systems now, but as always, should you have any further issues, please do not hesitate to let us know.
Wed 19/12/07 at 12:25
Regular
Cheers Vexxxed have a good Xmas and enjoy your few days off.

Kev
Wed 19/12/07 at 12:26
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
MUX and NODES can some times be confused and used as a term for the same thing, when they are not. MUX stands for MultiPlexer. It's a device for sending multiple analog or digital streams down one channel. This could be a MUX at either end of a link between your exchange and a bigger one. If the next town's broadband went down too then it's likely to be a NODE. This is the link between the exchange and BT's network backbone. The reason you router probably stayed in sync was that the equipment in you exchange was probably working fine but couldn't communicated further than the next exchange it was linked to.
Wed 19/12/07 at 12:44
Regular
Cheers for that technical update that makes a lot of sense now, I love it when you guys talk dirty on these forums lol

Have a good Xmas Eccles.

Kev

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.