GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Windows XP and Gaming"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/04/02 at 18:19
Regular
I think that in all honesty, Microsoft have severly limited the future of gaming with their latest edition of Windows - Windows XP. It claims to have solved all compatibility issues with the almighty 'compatibility mode' but this, in reality, does nothing. In fact, under certain circumstances, using compatibility mode can hinder the game's .exe file to such a degree that you need to re-install the game. In all fairness, there are (not completely legal) methods to get round these NT technology windows versions, and they are as follows:

(tried and trusted for Carmageddon 2) - use www.megagames.com to find a 'no CD' hack for the game, as once you replace the .exe file with this 'patched' version, it should work on XP.

Use windows help to run 'setver' in dos prompt, which kind of tells the game what opperating system it uses, and fiddling around with that can sometimes do the trick.

Install windows 98 on the same machine as the one with XP on it, as long as you have a reasonable processor and hard disk, this option should let you play games on one opperating system and use the other for more serious stuff.
Hope this helps.
Thu 11/04/02 at 18:19
I think that in all honesty, Microsoft have severly limited the future of gaming with their latest edition of Windows - Windows XP. It claims to have solved all compatibility issues with the almighty 'compatibility mode' but this, in reality, does nothing. In fact, under certain circumstances, using compatibility mode can hinder the game's .exe file to such a degree that you need to re-install the game. In all fairness, there are (not completely legal) methods to get round these NT technology windows versions, and they are as follows:

(tried and trusted for Carmageddon 2) - use www.megagames.com to find a 'no CD' hack for the game, as once you replace the .exe file with this 'patched' version, it should work on XP.

Use windows help to run 'setver' in dos prompt, which kind of tells the game what opperating system it uses, and fiddling around with that can sometimes do the trick.

Install windows 98 on the same machine as the one with XP on it, as long as you have a reasonable processor and hard disk, this option should let you play games on one opperating system and use the other for more serious stuff.
Hope this helps.
Thu 11/04/02 at 18:28
Regular
I find Windows XP Home Edition is terrible for some games, but quite good with others...

Games that I know wont work:

Command & Conquer (and the Covert ops)
Command & Conquer Red Alert (and Counterstrike, and the Aftermath)
Worms United
Jonah Lomu Rugby

Games I had problems with but managed to solve (not neccasarily by changing compatability)

Command & Conquer Red Alert 2
(with Windows-update sound card drivers, the game's cut-scenes went dodgy. When I roll-backed the drivers, the game worked fine)

Jeff Wayne's The War of The Worlds
Diablo 2
Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force

There are others I had problems with and solved, but I can't remember which.

If for the games at the top, any of you know a way of playing the games without having to buy an older version OS, then please let me know as the developers for those games just say "It wont work" instead of developing a patch or anything.
Fri 12/04/02 at 00:05
Regular
most of my Clan members have had no probs with XP.
Fri 12/04/02 at 01:03
Regular
Do they have the same games I mentioned?

I don't have problems with Windows XP (home edition!), just a few games wont work on it.
Fri 12/04/02 at 09:46
Regular
"..."
On my PC Counter Strike runs a million times better on XP than it did on Win ME. The difference is amazing.
Fri 12/04/02 at 16:48
Regular
WEll no not alot of the old games will work...... but who would want to play old games when the new games probably get a speed boost on XP?!
Fri 12/04/02 at 19:19
Regular
"!"£$%^&*()_+"
Snipe wrote:
>but who would want to play old games

me
Fri 12/04/02 at 20:30
Regular
Snipe wrote:
> WEll no not alot of the old games will work...... but who would want
> to play old games when the new games probably get a speed boost on
> XP?!

Me

Just because games are old it doesn't mean they're not still good!
Fri 12/04/02 at 20:34
"Mimmargh!"
To be honest, I'm not at all impressed with Windows XP.
There are some serious bugs and little has changed since Windows 95.
Fri 12/04/02 at 20:47
Regular
Erm if you DL the updates.. mayb u'll see something different.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.