GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"L@@K----->NINTENDO<-----L@@K"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/04/02 at 17:10
Regular
My, what a turn up for the books, well, mine at least.

There was a time, not so long ago when I'd dismiss the new Nintendo console in favour of selecting either the X Box or PlayStation 2 but now that I've actually taken to the time to find out what Nintendo is all about there's no way I'll be cubeless on May 3rd.

Looking through preview after preview of Game Cube launch and slightly-later-on releases I have to admit that Nintendo's newest offering doesn't half look tempting.

The first resident evil title to be unleashed into Nintendo's 128bit world looks absolutely incredible, I seriously thought they were photographs or screens from a film - the detail is amazing, and what's this - blood and gore on a Nintendo? Oh yes!!

I do believe it's reasonable to have associated Nintendo with colourful graphics, and perhaps a more light hearted, less realistic approach to gaming than some of the others - where the PlayStation had Metal Gear Solid, Banjo Kazooie was prancing about on the Nintendo 64. This was by no means a grave affair. I mean, when you look at all the top gaming companies that exist, Nintendo are surely in and around the very top of the pile, and I'm really getting excited about the Game Cube.

Kids. Nintendo. Children. Mario. Toddlers. Luigi.

To be honest, all games that are aimed soley for children aren't good games. Since when did Mario have an age limit anyway? Maybe the palaver’s stopped, and the shrill of laughter no more, but I honestly do believe that colourful graphics, novel storylines and fat Italian plumbers can and do appeal to more than just children. Best 10 games of all time? A Nintendo title has to be in there somewhere, my money's on Mario, but really, any remaining preconceptions that the Game Cube will offer nothing but "little league baseball" and "Teletubbies go in search for the Holy gnome" really should be quashed, frankly the launch line up alone should do the trick. Just take a look at this little lot:

Burnout,

Cel Damage,

Crazy Taxi,

Dave Mirra 2,

Driven,

Fifa 2002 World Cup,

The Simpsons Road Rage,

Legends of Wrestling,

Luigi's Mansion,

NBA Street,

ISS2,

Sonic Adventure 2,

Super Monkey Ball,

Star Wars Rogue Leader,

Tarzan Freeride,

Tony Hawk's 3,

Universal Studios,

Theme Park,

Wave Race,

Worms Blast

Ok, so Tarzan doesn't make me want to swing through the trees, but games like Super Monkey Ball - originality at it's best (and notably, strong support from Nintendo's old arch rivals Sega), a new Star Wars title, always drawing attention in, 2 superb football games, from the screen shots the visuals look just as good as the other formats', obviously Tony Hawk has to make an appearance, Crazy Taxi gets just about everywhere nowadays and classics like Wave Race, Theme Park and Worms all having new versions released on the 'Cube. As I say, if you want any convincing as to how impressive the visuals are, you could wait till May the 3rd and get one, but I'd strongly suggest checking out the screens for Biohazard/Resident Evil - they are fantastic! Oh, and the resident evil series - now exclusive to Nintendo, but then you knew that...

I won't go and ruin things with a stats list, in my eyes they mean nothing - X Box can push 4000billion polygons more than the Game Cube if it wants, if the games look the part, then I is happy. Oh and the name "Gecko" for a processor is really very cool indeed.

A controller that won't give you arthritis, the link up play with it's more mobile cousin the Game Boy Advance and of course that irresistible price, it's cheaper than both the X Box and PS2, I really do think this console is for me.

Already got a DVD player, I've more than 1 friend, and I like fun, original and colourful gaming, as well as the odd spell of Resident Evil.

My mind is changed, and I love that advert!

Cheers
Thu 11/04/02 at 17:10
My, what a turn up for the books, well, mine at least.

There was a time, not so long ago when I'd dismiss the new Nintendo console in favour of selecting either the X Box or PlayStation 2 but now that I've actually taken to the time to find out what Nintendo is all about there's no way I'll be cubeless on May 3rd.

Looking through preview after preview of Game Cube launch and slightly-later-on releases I have to admit that Nintendo's newest offering doesn't half look tempting.

The first resident evil title to be unleashed into Nintendo's 128bit world looks absolutely incredible, I seriously thought they were photographs or screens from a film - the detail is amazing, and what's this - blood and gore on a Nintendo? Oh yes!!

I do believe it's reasonable to have associated Nintendo with colourful graphics, and perhaps a more light hearted, less realistic approach to gaming than some of the others - where the PlayStation had Metal Gear Solid, Banjo Kazooie was prancing about on the Nintendo 64. This was by no means a grave affair. I mean, when you look at all the top gaming companies that exist, Nintendo are surely in and around the very top of the pile, and I'm really getting excited about the Game Cube.

Kids. Nintendo. Children. Mario. Toddlers. Luigi.

To be honest, all games that are aimed soley for children aren't good games. Since when did Mario have an age limit anyway? Maybe the palaver’s stopped, and the shrill of laughter no more, but I honestly do believe that colourful graphics, novel storylines and fat Italian plumbers can and do appeal to more than just children. Best 10 games of all time? A Nintendo title has to be in there somewhere, my money's on Mario, but really, any remaining preconceptions that the Game Cube will offer nothing but "little league baseball" and "Teletubbies go in search for the Holy gnome" really should be quashed, frankly the launch line up alone should do the trick. Just take a look at this little lot:

Burnout,

Cel Damage,

Crazy Taxi,

Dave Mirra 2,

Driven,

Fifa 2002 World Cup,

The Simpsons Road Rage,

Legends of Wrestling,

Luigi's Mansion,

NBA Street,

ISS2,

Sonic Adventure 2,

Super Monkey Ball,

Star Wars Rogue Leader,

Tarzan Freeride,

Tony Hawk's 3,

Universal Studios,

Theme Park,

Wave Race,

Worms Blast

Ok, so Tarzan doesn't make me want to swing through the trees, but games like Super Monkey Ball - originality at it's best (and notably, strong support from Nintendo's old arch rivals Sega), a new Star Wars title, always drawing attention in, 2 superb football games, from the screen shots the visuals look just as good as the other formats', obviously Tony Hawk has to make an appearance, Crazy Taxi gets just about everywhere nowadays and classics like Wave Race, Theme Park and Worms all having new versions released on the 'Cube. As I say, if you want any convincing as to how impressive the visuals are, you could wait till May the 3rd and get one, but I'd strongly suggest checking out the screens for Biohazard/Resident Evil - they are fantastic! Oh, and the resident evil series - now exclusive to Nintendo, but then you knew that...

I won't go and ruin things with a stats list, in my eyes they mean nothing - X Box can push 4000billion polygons more than the Game Cube if it wants, if the games look the part, then I is happy. Oh and the name "Gecko" for a processor is really very cool indeed.

A controller that won't give you arthritis, the link up play with it's more mobile cousin the Game Boy Advance and of course that irresistible price, it's cheaper than both the X Box and PS2, I really do think this console is for me.

Already got a DVD player, I've more than 1 friend, and I like fun, original and colourful gaming, as well as the odd spell of Resident Evil.

My mind is changed, and I love that advert!

Cheers
Thu 11/04/02 at 17:17
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Good post.

I can't be bothered commenting, as 1.) I'm tired, 2.) I've said it all so many times before and 3.) I'm even tireder than I was when I wrote I'm tired for the first time.

I did read that post though, and it was good stuff. Posting it on Prime though, may have gotten you better, and more intelligent replies.

Nice one anyway.

;-)
Thu 11/04/02 at 17:21
Your reply seems intelligent enough to me! I didn't realise I was a regular, so I thought I couldn't post on there.

Anyway, I'm sure I'm not alone in changing my point of view, out of the PS2, X Box and Game Cube, the latter does have the strongest magnetism, well it's drawing me in at least.
Thu 11/04/02 at 18:28
Anyone know when the UK'll get the Gold coloured GC's?
Thu 11/04/02 at 18:31
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
I don't think the Japs even know, so we might have to wait quite a long time.
Thu 11/04/02 at 18:33
Even though what it can put on your tv is more important than what the Game Cube looks like, I think I'll have to go Black.
Thu 11/04/02 at 18:43
Regular
Brilliantly written.

I'm really glad people are looking beyond that stupid stereotype now, and saying "hang on... why am I taking Nintendo so seriously?"

Because they don't. As Meka said, just look at the plots for these games... if Nintendo took themselves that seriously when it came to Mario, do you think we'd really have such tongue in cheek awful plots?

Because it doesn't matter. Games that can be picked up and played again. That's why the Gamecube will rule.

Stop letting others tell you what you want, and start looking at yourself instead. Something like that.

And play Skies of Arcadia. Best game ever.
Thu 11/04/02 at 18:46
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
You can't really argue with that at all.

Stereotypes really do play a major role in the games industry, and can dictate whether a console is a success or failure. Look at the Xbox. It's success really comes down to the track history of Microsoft.

If Nintendo can shake the "juvenille" image that it has been tagged with, and it appears it already is doing, then it has every chance of being hugely successful.

My only concern now is where i'm gonna find the money to invest in ANOTHER console!
Thu 11/04/02 at 19:03
I'm glad you appreciate the post!

A really first class all new version of Destruction Derby would really make this console "the one" :)
Thu 11/04/02 at 19:59
It's good to see the tide is slowly turning, at least among informed gamers. Sadly, I find myself in an almost inevitable position of having to buy a PS2 for GTA3 and GT3, almost entirely because of these two franchises, which will surely release more. I know GTA's on the PC, but I don't use my PC for that, and I'm not in the market for an XBox. But the Gcube is one I'm happy to buy and I look forward to playing ISS on it, as well as Waverace.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.