GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Playing SSX Tricky with a head full of Tony Hawks"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/04/02 at 14:09
Regular
Having heard all sorts of good things about this game throughout the gaming press I decided to get my hands on a copy. I have to say I was really disappointed. Does anyone else who bought this game think they've been duped by EA's impressive marketing mechanisms?
Don't get me wrong, the graphics and sound are spot on, and the gameplay is fun, but I just can't seem to get 'into' SSX Tricky. Maybe because I was a massive fan of 1080 on the N64 I was expecting something with a slightly more realistic feel... but in SSX it's easy to forget that the courses have anything to do with snow or mountains, it's just all a bit too wacky. And as far as the tricks go, well... if you've spent as many hours mastering Tony Hawks 3 as I have, it becomes virtually impossible to do the SSX moves. All I do is end up trying to pull off THPS3 moves on my snowboard. Grrrrr. Most frustrating.
Thu 11/04/02 at 15:42
Regular
"Got any carrots?"
I must say having been playing the tony hawks games over the years I also found it hard to get used to the controls in both ssx games. However when I got used to it and played it loads its become one of my most favourite games probably ever! The grinding was one of the hardest things to master but once you have it becomes so much more enjoyable to play. I think this game has seriously been misjudged and should have done better in the charts, it deserves better.
Thu 11/04/02 at 15:24
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
No doubt you played the demo of SSX you recieved free with your PS2...so you had some idea of what the controls'd be like.

I'm in the same boat...I recently got SSX Tricky (thank you Special Reserve, I LOVE YOU!) but have had Tony Hawk's since December. Of course, it took some getting used to...shyeah, like one race. It's easy to just remember that shoulder buttons = tricks. The only weird thing is grinding, and going up trees.

Top game though. I hope we see these DVD extras (SSX Tricky, MGS2, FFX) on more games.
Thu 11/04/02 at 14:09
Regular
"95% organic"
Having heard all sorts of good things about this game throughout the gaming press I decided to get my hands on a copy. I have to say I was really disappointed. Does anyone else who bought this game think they've been duped by EA's impressive marketing mechanisms?
Don't get me wrong, the graphics and sound are spot on, and the gameplay is fun, but I just can't seem to get 'into' SSX Tricky. Maybe because I was a massive fan of 1080 on the N64 I was expecting something with a slightly more realistic feel... but in SSX it's easy to forget that the courses have anything to do with snow or mountains, it's just all a bit too wacky. And as far as the tricks go, well... if you've spent as many hours mastering Tony Hawks 3 as I have, it becomes virtually impossible to do the SSX moves. All I do is end up trying to pull off THPS3 moves on my snowboard. Grrrrr. Most frustrating.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.