GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mario on the Playstation"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/04/02 at 12:18
Regular
Don't get me wrong, Mario isn't really coming to a Playstation near you in the immediate future, but if somebody did develop a Mario game for the Sony platform it would be just like Super Mario Bros: The Movie.

The Mario games we've played in recent years all have a similar premise, Bowser is doing wrong around the Mushroom Kingdom, and has no doubt captured Princess Peach too. So Mario has to jump around in the sun, on top of innocent looking mushrooms.

When a film was made from this game, the Mushroom Kingdom became a dirty great city, I think it was supposed to be an alternative Brooklyn or something, and the goomba's weren't little mushroom things, they were humanoid, but with lizard heads, and they carried guns.

Worse still, Bowser was no longer a big dinosaur type thing, with spikes and stuff, no, he was bloody Dennis Hopper!

I could see a developer hoping to bring Mario to the Playstation making exactly the same mistakes. The Mushroom Kingdom is no place for Playstation gamers. No the mass market won't buy that. Give them a nasty dirty bleak city, with enemies that have guns, and make sure that when you finish the game the enemy is defeated for good. we all know the way it should be. Mario throws Bowser off of a building, and he goes and licks his wounds until the next game. As a reward, Mario gets a cake.

You see, that's the difference between Nintendo and the others. Image really doesn't matter. I mean, have you seen the plot to the latest Mario game? He goes on holiday with Peach, only to find that a lookalike is putting grafitti everywhere, and he's getting blamed for it, so armed with a water cannon, we goes to clean things up.

You try selling that idea as a Playstation game. Nobody's buying.

This is what I love about Nintendo games. This innocence, which brings you into a world so different from our own. I'm not saying all games should be like this, I do like more realistic settings sometimes, but in the majority of times I find it more appealing, more relaxing and more enjoyable.
Thu 11/04/02 at 19:56
"Mario games sucks, all you do is sling big green lizards around!"

That is why they don't 'get' Mario, yet they'll go and watch Lord of the Rings set in a fantasy land with elves and hobbits, because that's realistic, isn't it?

And could you tell me for how many people a game that involves killing pedestrians with Uzis and battering people to death with baseball bats before shooting down a helicopter is realistic? GTA3 is every bit as far-fetched as Mario et al, I'm not knocking GTA, I love it, but as a videogame not as a depiction of real life. I know it's tangential to the thread, but I wanted to make my point.
Thu 11/04/02 at 19:47
"Mimmargh!"
That Mario film sucked, it still brings me out in a cold sweat at night sometimes...
Thu 11/04/02 at 17:24
Regular
"Long time no see!"
You're probably right there Meka, if Mario was to appear on one of Nintendo's rival-consoles then it would turn out like the film - as they aim their games at an 'older audience'.

Trying to bring the Mushroom Kingdom into reallity was a hige mistake, and it was things like that that proves how gaming to reality doesn't always work, and why the film was so dissapointing to all us Mario fans.

A new Mario film, more like the cartoony-Nintendo games would catch a lot more attention and surely be a lot more succesfull! The producers could even go bankrupt and produce a film similar to the Final Fantasy one in terms of style!
Thu 11/04/02 at 12:45
Regular
LOL

*pictures Meka slamming his head into desk repeatedly*

But no, you're right. I mean, Max Payne was a great game... but there's something much more magical in a Nintendo game that makes it... I dunno, characteristic, I suppose. It's really about human emotions, very simple ones, but it's a hell of a lot more than "bam blast boom save have food come back later" sort of games.
Thu 11/04/02 at 12:35
Regular
"I confused?"
Yuo could buy an add for a ps2 that would play GB colour games.
Thu 11/04/02 at 12:18
Regular
"not dead"
Don't get me wrong, Mario isn't really coming to a Playstation near you in the immediate future, but if somebody did develop a Mario game for the Sony platform it would be just like Super Mario Bros: The Movie.

The Mario games we've played in recent years all have a similar premise, Bowser is doing wrong around the Mushroom Kingdom, and has no doubt captured Princess Peach too. So Mario has to jump around in the sun, on top of innocent looking mushrooms.

When a film was made from this game, the Mushroom Kingdom became a dirty great city, I think it was supposed to be an alternative Brooklyn or something, and the goomba's weren't little mushroom things, they were humanoid, but with lizard heads, and they carried guns.

Worse still, Bowser was no longer a big dinosaur type thing, with spikes and stuff, no, he was bloody Dennis Hopper!

I could see a developer hoping to bring Mario to the Playstation making exactly the same mistakes. The Mushroom Kingdom is no place for Playstation gamers. No the mass market won't buy that. Give them a nasty dirty bleak city, with enemies that have guns, and make sure that when you finish the game the enemy is defeated for good. we all know the way it should be. Mario throws Bowser off of a building, and he goes and licks his wounds until the next game. As a reward, Mario gets a cake.

You see, that's the difference between Nintendo and the others. Image really doesn't matter. I mean, have you seen the plot to the latest Mario game? He goes on holiday with Peach, only to find that a lookalike is putting grafitti everywhere, and he's getting blamed for it, so armed with a water cannon, we goes to clean things up.

You try selling that idea as a Playstation game. Nobody's buying.

This is what I love about Nintendo games. This innocence, which brings you into a world so different from our own. I'm not saying all games should be like this, I do like more realistic settings sometimes, but in the majority of times I find it more appealing, more relaxing and more enjoyable.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.