GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"7 Months Later...."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/04/02 at 09:01
Regular
It has 'only' been 7 months since that terrible day, yet it feels like a year, and this is coming from someone who lost no one he knew in that attack.

The 11th of September 2001 will live in history for many reasons; as the worst terrorist act, as a great tragedy, as a day that changed the future...as a day of heroes.

I watched the burning image of tower 1 as Sky News told of what was then assumed a terrible accident, then as the truth dawned on everyone when the second plane hit tower 2, and another hit the Pentagon, and another crashed outside Pennsylvania. It was terrible then, and scarcely a day has passed when I haven't thought of it or something connected to it.

At first it was easy to be depressed about it, on first impressions someone wanted the USA to hurt and had done so, and it seemed likely America would it back hard and not necessarily accurately. I, and many others no doubt, expected to wake up on September 12th to the image of a mushroom cloud over a foreign capital - or similar. But that didn't happen, 26 long days passed before Operation Ultimate Justice (later renamed Enduring Freedom) began and I'll admit that the images of cruise missiles and warplanes slightly lightened how I felt. "We" were going after them, the terrorists. As the Daily Mail headline proclaimed for that day - "No Mercy". 6 Month on Osama Bin Laden remains at large and that is the real pity.

How many of us could honestly say that on September 11th we didn't want vengeance of a kind ? It was a real emotion generated by the suffering we all saw on TV. Whatever the arguments subsequently I believe that Enduring Freedom has honestly tried to target the right targets, but we're all only human. Our machines are as good as we make them. Civilians die in any conflict - I'm not saying thats right or wrong - just a fact. All that matters is that the conflict be resolved in a way that doesnt make those deaths a waste. 2893 people died on September 11th, more allied soldiers have died in Afghanistan along with Afghan civilians and Taliban/Al Queda. Now that some time has passed I can see how, in a perhaps bizarre way, the deaths of those following Bin Laden is also a tragedy. They believe in a valid religion that Osama, like Hitler before him, has twisted. Like many World War 2 German soldiers, possibly many of the Taliban found themselves trapped in something they never realised had become so wrong.

If there's one positive thing that did come from all this it has to be hope. Nations are trying to co-operate, those who have comitted crimes are being brought to justice, money that would have been used to aid more acts is being confiscated, and we've seen the cost so far even in this country. Sometimes the wrong people have been accused, airport security and that around all major places is tighter and there are mistakes, false alarms. Some of us have been unable to see that it's not Muslims who are the enemy, it's the terrorists. Another positive is that terrorism is a threat that has been at our collective door since 1962 and thw world has woken up to that.

We're not the first generation to live in troubled, sometimes scary times. Many of our parents lived through the Cuban Missile Crisis, our Grandparents World War Two, and sometimes World War One. We'll get through it because we're better than the terrorists. Those who died that day never knew what would happen, they left families, relaitves and unfinished work, business, things to do. how many ofus have a long list of "I'll do it some day" activities. One of the best things to do is to go out and do those things. If just one person takes inspiration to do something good because of 9/11 then the tragedy is lessened. But it hasn't been one person. Millions have donated money, helped, bought charity items - it all counts no matter how small it seems.

And finally.....as the first tower collapsed New York emergency service personnel still went into the second to help those in need, like those who entered the first tower before it went down. Those men and women are now, to me, the true definition ofwhat it is to be a hero. It sounds cliche, almost corny, but it's true. How can people who are rock stars or actors claim to be heroes ? Compared to people on that day they're nothing. And the passengers who attacked those who hijacked them, ending in the plane crash. They thought only to save others, and themselves. Whatever their motivations they would have had to advance in single file down the plane towards terrorists who had already killed the aircrew.

The attacks were meant to scare us all, to surrender to fear and terror, but I think Osama made a mistake, because I believe that now many of us are stronger as is the world as a whole. We've seen evil in our time and thats brought out the good in many people. We'll make mistakes along the way but our intentions are good this time - and thats all any of us can try to do.

Have faith, do what we beleive to be right and try our best.

This is my little collection of thoughts and feelings, I don't want to argue it with any one because it's how I feel. If you disagree then thats okay because you have the right to do that, because 40+ years ago our grandparents were also faced with a great threat, and they faced up to it.

Thanks for reading if you made it this far !
Thu 11/04/02 at 09:01
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
It has 'only' been 7 months since that terrible day, yet it feels like a year, and this is coming from someone who lost no one he knew in that attack.

The 11th of September 2001 will live in history for many reasons; as the worst terrorist act, as a great tragedy, as a day that changed the future...as a day of heroes.

I watched the burning image of tower 1 as Sky News told of what was then assumed a terrible accident, then as the truth dawned on everyone when the second plane hit tower 2, and another hit the Pentagon, and another crashed outside Pennsylvania. It was terrible then, and scarcely a day has passed when I haven't thought of it or something connected to it.

At first it was easy to be depressed about it, on first impressions someone wanted the USA to hurt and had done so, and it seemed likely America would it back hard and not necessarily accurately. I, and many others no doubt, expected to wake up on September 12th to the image of a mushroom cloud over a foreign capital - or similar. But that didn't happen, 26 long days passed before Operation Ultimate Justice (later renamed Enduring Freedom) began and I'll admit that the images of cruise missiles and warplanes slightly lightened how I felt. "We" were going after them, the terrorists. As the Daily Mail headline proclaimed for that day - "No Mercy". 6 Month on Osama Bin Laden remains at large and that is the real pity.

How many of us could honestly say that on September 11th we didn't want vengeance of a kind ? It was a real emotion generated by the suffering we all saw on TV. Whatever the arguments subsequently I believe that Enduring Freedom has honestly tried to target the right targets, but we're all only human. Our machines are as good as we make them. Civilians die in any conflict - I'm not saying thats right or wrong - just a fact. All that matters is that the conflict be resolved in a way that doesnt make those deaths a waste. 2893 people died on September 11th, more allied soldiers have died in Afghanistan along with Afghan civilians and Taliban/Al Queda. Now that some time has passed I can see how, in a perhaps bizarre way, the deaths of those following Bin Laden is also a tragedy. They believe in a valid religion that Osama, like Hitler before him, has twisted. Like many World War 2 German soldiers, possibly many of the Taliban found themselves trapped in something they never realised had become so wrong.

If there's one positive thing that did come from all this it has to be hope. Nations are trying to co-operate, those who have comitted crimes are being brought to justice, money that would have been used to aid more acts is being confiscated, and we've seen the cost so far even in this country. Sometimes the wrong people have been accused, airport security and that around all major places is tighter and there are mistakes, false alarms. Some of us have been unable to see that it's not Muslims who are the enemy, it's the terrorists. Another positive is that terrorism is a threat that has been at our collective door since 1962 and thw world has woken up to that.

We're not the first generation to live in troubled, sometimes scary times. Many of our parents lived through the Cuban Missile Crisis, our Grandparents World War Two, and sometimes World War One. We'll get through it because we're better than the terrorists. Those who died that day never knew what would happen, they left families, relaitves and unfinished work, business, things to do. how many ofus have a long list of "I'll do it some day" activities. One of the best things to do is to go out and do those things. If just one person takes inspiration to do something good because of 9/11 then the tragedy is lessened. But it hasn't been one person. Millions have donated money, helped, bought charity items - it all counts no matter how small it seems.

And finally.....as the first tower collapsed New York emergency service personnel still went into the second to help those in need, like those who entered the first tower before it went down. Those men and women are now, to me, the true definition ofwhat it is to be a hero. It sounds cliche, almost corny, but it's true. How can people who are rock stars or actors claim to be heroes ? Compared to people on that day they're nothing. And the passengers who attacked those who hijacked them, ending in the plane crash. They thought only to save others, and themselves. Whatever their motivations they would have had to advance in single file down the plane towards terrorists who had already killed the aircrew.

The attacks were meant to scare us all, to surrender to fear and terror, but I think Osama made a mistake, because I believe that now many of us are stronger as is the world as a whole. We've seen evil in our time and thats brought out the good in many people. We'll make mistakes along the way but our intentions are good this time - and thats all any of us can try to do.

Have faith, do what we beleive to be right and try our best.

This is my little collection of thoughts and feelings, I don't want to argue it with any one because it's how I feel. If you disagree then thats okay because you have the right to do that, because 40+ years ago our grandparents were also faced with a great threat, and they faced up to it.

Thanks for reading if you made it this far !
Thu 11/04/02 at 12:48
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
That was a great read, i think that september 11th affected everyone in some way, whether a relation was in the tower or the value of your shares fell. I think it was this widespread affliction which made us want so much vengence, at first i thought America should just wipe them out with a nuke, but in the end although that would have finished off Osama Bin Laden it would have taken more than a city along with it. I feel that America made the right decision in their choice of military actions, but unfortunately the man who commited these attrocities has still to be found and brought to justice.
Sat 13/04/02 at 20:35
Regular
"Brrrrr."
It's shocking that someone actually wanted to do it. And then did.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.