GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"opencart with freeola control panel"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 18/06/15 at 10:31
Regular
hello, after a long time using a very basic system for our online shop, we are trying to use opencart, has anyone else on here used opencart for an online shop? All the online tutorials for opencart show the control panel as completely different to freeola's , or am i missing something. help please with the very basics, i should be able to do this, just need to be pointed on the right direction, thanks.
Sat 20/06/15 at 00:06
Regular
thanks for the advice, yes i am aware that any changes can mess things up when opencart is updated etc. i have read that, but it will just be changing background colours and some of the text etc , it is stuff that was changed when the site was made, and needs to be changed back to how it originally was, also some of the search terms etc have been put in incorrectly. Maybe I wont be able to do it myself, but after paying people to do the work in the 1st place and it being done incorrectly, i thought that if in could work out how to do it, it would save getting charged again to get the work done, and also, me being able to do it exactly as i want it, if i am not sure i can do it myself i will have to get someone else to do it for me, but thanks for the advice everyone .
Fri 19/06/15 at 08:15
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Hmmm... wrote:
To edit files you'll need to download them using an FTP client, make your changes using a text editor then upload it via FTP.

Reading the OpenCart forum some are saying you can also make changes by installing an OpenCart module.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

I would suggest Filezilla, a free to use FTP client that's nice and easy to install and use. You'll also need something like Notepad++ to edit the files if that's what you want to do.

Please be painfully aware though that editing the raw code of your Opencart install can severely break your site if you get it wrong. Also worth noting is that any future updates are likely to "remove" any changes you made, overwriting the files with new, fresh copies of the base install.

Hmmm... makes a good point that you should really look for a module that does what you want before changing code. I would strongly recommend that you pursue that path fully before making any changes.
Thu 18/06/15 at 23:21
"Are you sure?"
To edit files you'll need to download them using an FTP client, make your changes using a text editor then upload it via FTP.

Reading the OpenCart forum some are saying you can also make changes by installing an OpenCart module.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 18/06/15 at 23:13
Regular
Hello all and thanks,
I hadnt seen chas's reply yet, but on reading it and seeing that freeola doesnt use cpanel thats probably why I cant find it!
I am trying to edit the name/background colour/take of"powered by opencart" of the new site, and I also need to take off some text that was "hard coded" by the developer from another opencart site that I have,
I searched google for "how to edit opencart", and the 1st few results go as follows:
Edit the OpenCart header template
Open up the File Manager Code Editor in cPanel.
Navigate to the following directory in the File Manager: /catalog/view/theme/default/template/common/
Right click on the header.tpl file and select Code Edit. ...
Around line 93 will be where the menu at at the top of your page completes.
and it goes on, the advice is from another hosting company, i didnt realise that there are such big differences to the way the control panel looks on different hosts that all, and as the first thing they say is to open the file manager in cPanel, thats what I was looking for, and obviously couldn't find it... I just thought maybe there may be a few posts about previous users who have used opencart here on freeola to make their own shops etc., but there arent.. i have looked on opencart forums, but from the posts there, I think that most do use a Cpanel as I have been advised this before..no great problem, I dont care what its called, just thought I would ask here on the freeola web development forum?? thanks for the help so far all.
Thu 18/06/15 at 22:26
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
davidb wrote:
... but obviously there arent really that many here who have made their own sites, I thought there may be?

There are 100's if not 1000's that have made our own sites here, probably just not used OpenCart!

If you read and respond to what chas said earlier ...

"cPanel is only used by some hosts, and not by Freeola. Where did you get the guide that you are referring to, and what are you trying to do? If you can tell us that, we'll most likely be able to point you in the right direction."

... then you might get a solution :¬)
Thu 18/06/15 at 22:06
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
davidb wrote:
I need to "Open up the File Manager Code Editor in cPanel",
once i figure out how I find this, i should be ok....

OpenCart, once installed (which, I assume it is as you are adding products/managing stock) is almost entirely configured via the admin panel of your site. Unless you are trying to edit the raw code of your site, which you shouldn't be doing unless you are experienced, or trying to add a theme (which doesn't require cPanel) there wouldn't be any need to look elsewhere.

cPanel is only used by some hosts, and not by Freeola. Where did you get the guide that you are referring to, and what are you trying to do? If you can tell us that, we'll most likely be able to point you in the right direction.
Thu 18/06/15 at 22:05
"Are you sure?"
Freeola don't use cPanel, I guess you'll need to use FTP.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 18/06/15 at 21:49
Regular
I need to "Open up the File Manager Code Editor in cPanel",
once i figure out how I find this, i should be ok....
Thu 18/06/15 at 21:17
"Are you sure?"
As the interface is via a browser I would have thought once you are up and running it should be the same wherever you are hosted. I wonder if you are looking at tutorials for older versions than the one you've just installed? Perhaps it would be worth checking for tutorials for the version you're using.

If you don't find you answer here then it might be worth asking on an OpenCart forum.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 18/06/15 at 20:04
Regular
Hello, yes I did get your last post, and have read the advice thanks, I have managed to get opencart downloaded and working (with help from freeola), and I can put stock on and use add the colour/size options etc., add categories and do all of that, but the control panel on freeola looks nothing like the one on the opencart tutorials, I have already messed things up once , but luckily had help to get it back to how it should be, I was just wondering if anyone else here can shed any light on how to do some of the things on opencart like change background colours etc. it just looks totally different on freeolas control panel to the ones they show as examples on the tutorials, thats all, but obviously there arent really that many here who have made their own sites, I thought there may be?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.