GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Rivalry"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 10/04/02 at 19:49
Regular
Does rivalry mean anything to footballers anymore???
It seems that all the top-players care about these days is their precious money that they just can't get enough of!

Rivalry used to play a huge part in the big games - and it still does. But now it's only amongst the fans. As the competitive rivalry between the players on the pitch appears to be dying. The only thing these 'prima donas' seem to moan about now is how they're only getting £40,000 a week, and how it's still £25,000 less than some fany-foreigner star hundreds of miles away!

We all know that money has had a lot more bad effects than good on today's game, and that has been proven recently in Italy, and something similar could soon take effect on the English game. But without the competitive rivalry, Brittish Football at home and in Europe just isn't the same!

Thank god the fans don't have 'money issues'!
The only thing they have to worry about is the price of a weekly or season-long ticket, or the price on their club and country's latest strip.
But if suporters had such issues similar to the players, then football would surely be finnished!

They still play competitively on the pitch, but that's surely only for their win bonuses, and extra thousands they can get from lifting a piece of silverare.
But the only time we really see truley competitive football is in the local derbies and when team's are fighting to change their stauts.

Some of the most fierce and competitive matches for both players and fans include the following fixtures:

Bristol City - Bristol Rovers
Man United - Man City
Barcelona - Real Madrid
Inter Milan - AC Milan
Lazio - Roma
Rangers - Celtic
Galatasaray - Fenerbache
Dundee - Dundee United

Some of these are just highly competitive, but others are more fiercely-fought and dangerous than you may at first believe! The higher the reputations, the fiercer the competition.
By paying money to only watch half of those matches you'll know that it's money worth spent!
Derby matches aren't focused entirely on goals - although beating your closest rival is a great feeling! Inside the 90 minutes you see 2 'armies' of XI men going head-to-head in a full-on battle for all honours! And with the fans' envolvement and big influence on the performance, you get to see one hell of a football match!
That is 'football at it's finest!!'

But with money somehow effecting football in all areas, rivalry can only be found in the local derbies, and therefore, 'true football' is becoming a myth!
Thu 11/04/02 at 18:20
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Well, they should show both legs on ITV, as United are the only Brittish team still in England. But as they're loosing money and could loose the rights to the Premiership, they may evily show the matches on ITV Sport ONLY, so you have to pay extra to watch them!!
But seriously, i'm sure they'll both be on ITV.

And I agree with what was said about foreigners' passion in the English game. I saw Kasey Keller interviewed the other day, and he said that as he didn't support either Spurs or Arsenal while growing up, he had no real extra passion in the game.

People call Leeds a dirty team, but I actually believe it's all down to their passion and determination to win. They're mainly a Brittish side also, and that goes to help the way they play, having feelings for the teams envloved in their weekly domestic fixtures.

Rivalry could be dying due to another cause - foreigners!

Whenever there's trouble in football, and it's not casued by the fans, you can always look towards foreigners or mney for the answer!
Wed 10/04/02 at 23:03
Regular
"No Surprises Please"
I think that they will show both Man Utd games, but I know I would much rather watch both legs of the Madrid - Barca games.
Wed 10/04/02 at 22:25
Regular
Barcalona V Real Madrid in the next round of the champs league :) should be one hell of a contest.

Anybody know if ITV will be showing both legs of the Man Utd Leverkusen game on normal TV? Or will the Real Barca game be shown instead...
Wed 10/04/02 at 21:02
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
I think it all comes down to the type of players.

You only have to be at White Hart Lane when Arsenal visit to know that fans are still immensely passionate about Spurs' rivalry with the Gunners.

With regards to players though, I think the youngsters maybe feel the passion on these occasions, as they've come up through the ranks and understand what it means. Some of the foreigners might not fully appreciate the sheer magnitude of what these matches mean to fans though.

Players like Gus Poyet and Steffen Freund never fail to show their passion, and i'm preety sure they fully understand how big these games are.
Wed 10/04/02 at 21:00
Regular
nice post. i look forward to the classic stevenage vs woking derby, always a joy
Wed 10/04/02 at 19:49
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Does rivalry mean anything to footballers anymore???
It seems that all the top-players care about these days is their precious money that they just can't get enough of!

Rivalry used to play a huge part in the big games - and it still does. But now it's only amongst the fans. As the competitive rivalry between the players on the pitch appears to be dying. The only thing these 'prima donas' seem to moan about now is how they're only getting £40,000 a week, and how it's still £25,000 less than some fany-foreigner star hundreds of miles away!

We all know that money has had a lot more bad effects than good on today's game, and that has been proven recently in Italy, and something similar could soon take effect on the English game. But without the competitive rivalry, Brittish Football at home and in Europe just isn't the same!

Thank god the fans don't have 'money issues'!
The only thing they have to worry about is the price of a weekly or season-long ticket, or the price on their club and country's latest strip.
But if suporters had such issues similar to the players, then football would surely be finnished!

They still play competitively on the pitch, but that's surely only for their win bonuses, and extra thousands they can get from lifting a piece of silverare.
But the only time we really see truley competitive football is in the local derbies and when team's are fighting to change their stauts.

Some of the most fierce and competitive matches for both players and fans include the following fixtures:

Bristol City - Bristol Rovers
Man United - Man City
Barcelona - Real Madrid
Inter Milan - AC Milan
Lazio - Roma
Rangers - Celtic
Galatasaray - Fenerbache
Dundee - Dundee United

Some of these are just highly competitive, but others are more fiercely-fought and dangerous than you may at first believe! The higher the reputations, the fiercer the competition.
By paying money to only watch half of those matches you'll know that it's money worth spent!
Derby matches aren't focused entirely on goals - although beating your closest rival is a great feeling! Inside the 90 minutes you see 2 'armies' of XI men going head-to-head in a full-on battle for all honours! And with the fans' envolvement and big influence on the performance, you get to see one hell of a football match!
That is 'football at it's finest!!'

But with money somehow effecting football in all areas, rivalry can only be found in the local derbies, and therefore, 'true football' is becoming a myth!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.