GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Online Xbox Credit Warning"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 27/04/15 at 15:34
Regular
"I like turtles"
Don't know if anyone has bought Xbox credit online in the past but be wary it doesn't seem to work in the quite same way as it has in the past. I have bought credit (as well as subscriptions) from this well known online retailer in the past and never had an issue. However, I bought some last night and on redeeming showed up as being in Euro's on my account. Again, this has happened in the past but the value was simply changed to Sterling and the credit added. Now the same thing happened, showed as 25 Euro on redemption but shows as this in my account:

Microsoft Account Credit Complete 4/26/2015
0,00 € on Prepaid card

I contacted MS customer support who told me that I now need to change the region of my account to a country that accepted Euro as a currency. Fair enough, did that and logged into Xbox.com and my credit was there in all its glory. Great.....only it wouldn't seem to allow me to buy anything with it! Back onto MS customer support who advised me to download my updated (now Irish!) profile to my console as this should do the trick. That didn't work either, my details had been changed but the credit was still not showing in my account.

Back onto MS customer support who stated that it can sometimes take a while for any credit to transfer over to a new profile but admitted that it doesn't always work! At the time of writing it still hasn't transferred and I can't be bothered chasing it anymore, going to write it off and pay for my purchase with another method.

Just thought it was worth a heads up.
Thu 07/05/15 at 07:31
Regular
"I like turtles"
If this happens I wonder if I'll get my credit...?
Tue 28/04/15 at 10:29
Regular
"I like turtles"
pb wrote:
So was the original credit advertised as being in Euros?

It was one of those licenced cards which had a Euro/GBP value (like the COD map pack things which you don't necessarily have to spend on that particular product). Upon redemption it showed as 25 Euro but credited as zero. That's why MS suggested the change of region thing which worked as far as showing the credit in my account (when logged in via Xbox.com but not the console) but wouldn't allow me to buy anything with it. Then they suggested the updated (Irish) profile thing which worked for the details but still didn't transfer the credit. Like I said can't be bothered with it anymore, it really is more hassle trying to get sorted than it's worth. Although I have used this retailer quite a few times in the past (actually renewed my gold subscription through them a few months ago) I shall stick to UK based retailers for these kind of purchases in the future.
Tue 28/04/15 at 08:56
"possibly impossible"
So was the original credit advertised as being in Euros?
Mon 27/04/15 at 22:46
Regular
"I like turtles"
DL wrote:
Sounds bad news for you pete, but even worse for MS and MS Customer Service! Maybe they're both based in Mumbai now?

Wouldn't be surprised DL, you can't speak to anyone there anymore it's all online help now (you request support & a text box pops up & you chat with an advisor). To be fair the advisors really did try and help but they are clearly unable to circumvent any part of MS ridiculous trading rules. The EU-PAL region has been the same for consoles since year dot, why introduce rules to penalise their own customers by locking them into designated currency regions? At least if they were going to do that they should have heavily advertised the fact using Xbox dashboard pop ups etc. They seem to have little trouble trying to sell me SKY packages, Netlfix subscriptions and other crap I've absolutely no interest in. How about informing their customers that they have introduced a system where if they buy a digital item online and that trading company happens to be in a different part of their territory there is a good chance they will lose their money.

Like I said earlier I didn't post this for the reason of having a rant (although as you can probably guess I'm far from impressed!), it was to give others (who like me may have been unaware of this change) a heads up.
Mon 27/04/15 at 19:39
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Sounds bad news for you pete, but even worse for MS and MS Customer Service! Maybe they're both based in Mumbai now?
Mon 27/04/15 at 15:34
Regular
"I like turtles"
Don't know if anyone has bought Xbox credit online in the past but be wary it doesn't seem to work in the quite same way as it has in the past. I have bought credit (as well as subscriptions) from this well known online retailer in the past and never had an issue. However, I bought some last night and on redeeming showed up as being in Euro's on my account. Again, this has happened in the past but the value was simply changed to Sterling and the credit added. Now the same thing happened, showed as 25 Euro on redemption but shows as this in my account:

Microsoft Account Credit Complete 4/26/2015
0,00 € on Prepaid card

I contacted MS customer support who told me that I now need to change the region of my account to a country that accepted Euro as a currency. Fair enough, did that and logged into Xbox.com and my credit was there in all its glory. Great.....only it wouldn't seem to allow me to buy anything with it! Back onto MS customer support who advised me to download my updated (now Irish!) profile to my console as this should do the trick. That didn't work either, my details had been changed but the credit was still not showing in my account.

Back onto MS customer support who stated that it can sometimes take a while for any credit to transfer over to a new profile but admitted that it doesn't always work! At the time of writing it still hasn't transferred and I can't be bothered chasing it anymore, going to write it off and pay for my purchase with another method.

Just thought it was worth a heads up.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.